Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer Chicks ~ 7 Week Update

 

The chicks will be 7 weeks old this Thursday. I missed doing a timely update on them last week due to packing and getting ready to leave for our weekend camping/boating/letterboxing road trip up to Heron Lake State Park.

IMG_4470

We did manage to move all 27 chicks outside into the temporary mini-coop within the main chicken coop, and the change and adjustment went seamlessly well.

IMG_4545

The chicks seem to be content being outside with the extra space and after adding some empty feed bags for shade on the bird netting above, a larger feeder and an extra waterer, and rigging up an old dog igloo, with a nightlight and pine shavings, as a temporary house for them, they have happily settled right in.

IMG_4550

I did have a few adjustments to make, though. At first I just duct taped the nightlight inside the dogloo, but it kept falling off, so I removed the vent cover off the top and inserted the lightbulb inside the perfectly sized hole on top, and it works perfectly. I later added a round metal bowl over the top of the lightbulb, so the chicks aren’t able to dislodge the light bulb by jumping up there.

IMG_4548 

The first night I put them out, they couldn’t figure out where to sleep and tried to bed down onto the dirt, until I added the nightlight and placed each of them inside the dog igloo.

IMG_4552

Now they all head inside the dogloo as soon as it gets dark, which is what I want them to do when I release them into the larger main chicken coop. Well, I want them to walk up into the hen house at night, with the older hens, where there is also a nightlight, as well.

IMG_4554

Our older hens aren’t terribly interested in the chicks, probably because most of them have “been there-done that”, but Matilda, the Buff Orpington is only a year old and is very curious about the chicks.

IMG_4618

Hopefully she’s not up to no good. She and her Black Star girlfriend, who is also a year old, tend to pick on a few of the other chickens, especially Mrs. Cotton, the Japanese Silky hen.

IMG_4619

The chicks are still very friendly and tame and it’s challenging not to step on them when I have to go into their mini-coop to refill water and food and check on them.

IMG_4602

I was worried about sending the chicks outside because of all the things that could happen to them outside, but our coop is as safe as a coop can be with buried fence, lined with railroad ties and boulders. And the top is covered in fine bird mesh to keep out owls and hawks. They also have shade, water, food and lots of room to move around comfortably, so I feel confident that they will be just fine, but a part of me will always worry. It’s been fun raising these chicks, but with that comes a great responsibility for their care and safety, too.

I also think it’s going to be even more difficult than I imagined to choose which chicks to sell and which chicks to keep. I wish we could keep them all, but I don’t want them to live in crowded conditions and I don’t want to build a larger coop. Plus we had decided early on to sell some of the chicks, as laying pullets, to recoup our costs of buying and feeding them. So for now, we’ll not think about that, and just enjoy them as they are.

They’ve all feathered out and I love to admire their beautiful feather colors and patterns.

Faith, the broken-toed chick has a stunning feather pattern, I think.

IMG_4591

As do the other Ameracaunas, too.

IMG_4580

IMG_4562

And the Silver-laced Cochins are beginning to show their lovely lacing patterns.

IMG_4568

IMG_4607

As are the Golden-laced Wyandottes.

IMG_4572

IMG_4563

One of Jen’s favorite chickens, Penguin, a Blue Wyandotte has really filled out and is a lovely shade of blue/grey.

IMG_4614

 IMG_4569   

      



14 comments :

Leah Fry said...

So pretty. I like the Wyandottes.

Anonymous said...

they've gotten so big already :)
have fun on your weekend away

Gail said...

Fine looking flock! I'm with Jen, the blue is my favorite, too.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, they are all so beautiful! Makes me want to have chickens here again, but with 3 dogs and 5 cats, er...uh...I don't think that is going to happen! So, I'll just enjoy your chicken stories! :-)

Louise said...

Well, Faith and Penguin are keepers, for sure. But, I don't envy you trying to decide which of the others to keep.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Not a chicken person as I have said, but I have to admit yours are quite lovely to look at

StefRobrts said...

They're so pretty! They sure do grow up fast!

Jeni said...

The Chicks have grown from cute to into their own form of beautiful.

Good luck choosing which to sell and which to keep!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Faith does have a lovely pattern. They all look pretty happy with their new digs. Looks like chick heaven.

Icelandic Vinka said...

You all go on such wonderful trips... the kids I hope appreciate all that you do to make their lives sooooo interesting... but who takes care of all the livestock for you when you are gone? That is our biggest issue... we never leave because there isnt someone to take care of our babies like we would.. are you lucky enough to have someone that will do that?
Karen

Reddunappy said...

You have quite the pretty flock!!!

When I went out to feed the girls yesterday, I noticed the neighbors rooster, and a Bantam hen running around the pasture, this little Bantam hen had at least 13 chicks!!!! running around her, they are all white, mama and babies. The rooster is a light gold color with some black bars on his wings, dont know what breed he is, but he is full size.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks. Yes, I do believe my kids appreciate all the places and experiences we provide for them. They are great kids. And yes, we are truly blessed.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I just love Faith. Can I be her godmother?

Ed said...

They are getting big, almost to big to be called chicks..:-)