In preparation for this weekend’s Santa Fe ACTHA rides on both Saturday and Sunday, one of the things I wanted to test was Apache’s tolerance for mountain bikes, because these are something that can often be seen up at the Caja del Rio and I had no idea how Apache would deal with them.
So, I asked my twinling Jax to ride his bike around Apache’s paddock just to see if she had a reaction to it.
As soon as we entered her paddock, she surprised me by walking right up to us and right up to Jax on his bike.
She never once spooked, shied away, or bolted. I think she may have thought we were a little bit weird for even wasting her time.
So, yeah. I think we’ll probably be alright if a mountain biker approaches us from behind……
or from the front.
~~~~~~~~~~
But, hoof boots are a totally different ball game…..
I was so excited to get Apache’s Cavallo hoof boots today. I had ordered them on Friday night…..a holiday weekend no less, and received them on Tuesday, via Fed Ex. Now that’s fast!
My farrier recommended I get some hoof boots for Apache because he feels her hoof walls aren’t strong enough for metal shoes and he doesn’t want to weaken the walls by hammering nails into them. But she gets ouchy when I ride her over sharp gravel and large rocks.
I ordered a Size 2 because that’s the size that matched up when both my farrier and I followed the instructions and took Apache’s hoof measurements 2 weeks ago. I chose the brown boots because I figured they would look better on Apache than the black. And I decided to go with the Cavallo Boots because I had $50.00 in ACTHA Bucks to spend and Cavallo is one of their sponsors. And with the ACTHA Bucks the boots would only cost me $79.00.
Well, we had a few problems with these Cavallo hoof boots.
I asked my twinling Jax to help hold Apache’s lead while I tried the boots on her, because I wasn’t about to tie her after what happened with my previous horse, Baby Doll when walking up to her with a tube of wormer. I definitely didn’t want a Repeat of that Performance. And something told me to put my helmet on, so I did.
First I placed an old towel on the ground for her to stand on, in front of a pile of hay, and then I wrapped her hoof in some thin plastic wrap. I spent a few seconds just getting her used to the sound of the velcro on the shoes ripping open, and she wasn’t even concerned. So I commenced with the hoof boot fitting, not thinking that anything could go wrong.
I’ve done hours of research while learning about hoof boots, comparing brands, and reading reviews. I’ve read the Hoof Boot company’s instructions for sizing and putting the hoof boot on the horse’s foot.
But not once have I read anything about the possibility of a horse reacting negatively, essentially “freaking out”, when wearing a hoof boot for the first time.
Yeah. That’s exactly what happened.
I fitted the hoof boot easily on her foot and she wasn’t concerned at all……until she placed her booted foot onto the ground. Then all hell broke loose!
Seriously, I think I saw my life flash before my eyes!
Apache’s head shot up high and she sprung forward in the stall. I scooted over to the right, as did Jax.
Jax was still holding the lead rope, which happened to be behind me now because he had been standing by her head as I placed the hoof boot on her foot, and when I stood up, he leapt to the side. Apache had me cornered with only her large water bucket protecting me from her being on top of me. The thought crossed my mind to try and remove the hoof boot, but Apache was too far gone, just quivering with fear and wanting to take off, to even consider placing myself down there by her hooves.
I yelled to Jax to drop the lead rope and he finally did, and Apache turned and ran out of the stall, still wearing the one boot and trailing the lead rope behind her. And on she ran down to the bottom of the hill in her paddock, where she finally slowed down and took some tentative slow steps while glancing down at the hoof boot and stepping on her lead rope.
Jax and I watched her and figured we might have to walk down the hill to get her, but she surprised me when just after a few minutes, she turned and walked directly back up to the barn, and then into her stall, and just stood there staring at me, calmly waiting.
I wanted to be sure she wasn’t going to lose her mind again and bolt away before I got close to her and removed the hoof boot. So, I stood beside Jax and we talked while observing her behavior. She just stood there, watching us, and waiting. A few times she licked and chewed, but mostly she just stood there at the door to her stall with her head down.
Finally after about 5 minutes, I walked over to her, and stroked her shoulder, her neck, face and her back. And she seemed relieved and relaxed for the contact. So, I moved my hand slowly down her leg, down to her foot, and played with the straps. All good. So then I picked up her foot, and wiggled the hoof boot and quickly discovered that the boot was too big because it’s supposed to wiggle a little for the natural expansion/contraction of the foot, but it’s not supposed to swivel around the hoof, like it was doing on Apache’s foot.
So, still holding Apache’s hoof, and remembering to breathe, I removed the hoof boot, and then reached my arms around Apache’s neck and stroked her cheeks. She still continued to stand there at the door to the stall, until I walked away from her and called her over to finish eating her hay. Then I just stood there for a long while just stroking her back, shoulders and neck. After she finished her hay, I led her back to her paddock, where I had asked Jax to leave her some more hay, and then I released her. She still seemed a little uneasy, so I stood by her for a few more minutes while she settled into her pile of hay.
I checked out the boot when I returned to the barn, and thankfully the inside of the boot was still clean due to the plastic I had wrapped around her hoof before putting it on, but the bottom of the boot did have some dirt caked on it. So I brought it back to the house and cleaned the bottom off really well with a toothbrush and water and wiped everything down, and it looks brand new again. I can’t even tell which hoof boot she had on. So hopefully I won’t have any problems returning them and getting my money back. But, unfortunately Cavallo does charge a $10 restocking fee. bah.
So, has anyone ever heard of a horse freaking out over wearing a hoof boot for the first time?
Not me.
After the adrenaline rush subsided and my legs had turned to jello, I decided to do some research and only found one listing where someone’s horse reacted behaviorally negatively to the hoof boot while riding. Basically, the horse was acting reactive and spooky to things on the trail that would normally have never bothered him before.
Here’s the link to that situation: "Unusual Problem with Hoof Boots"
But I have yet to find any information online about a horse reacting negatively or fearfully while wearing a hoof boot for the first time, not even from the hoof boot companies themselves. Is my horse the only one that has reacted this way?
23 comments :
Lily did react badly the first time she had hoof boots on. Not as bad, but she spent the entire time stomping her foot trying to kick them off and looking worried. One was too tight, so I think fit was the main issue. Cibolo (who is doing fine these days,, thanks for asking) never had an issue and loved his cavellos.
I think I could have gotten her used to them, but being barefoot in the back, I'd have to get a new size all the way around because her hoof has changed.
I wonder if mares are more sensitive to boots...
Horses can react to anything at all - anything - and for every horse there will be something different. She's smart and will figure out it's not going to hurt her.
I'll be curious to see what she does when you try again next time. I know that had to scare the crap out of you, though.
I am so glad no one got hurt.
Strange, indeed!
WOW! I have never heard of a horse doing that with boots either. Poor Apache, that must have been a scary experience, for you too! I have been thinking of getting Gilly some boots but haven't decided on which ones. Easy Boots has a new one called the Trail Boot, might try them. I will be very careful as Gilly may have a bad reaction like Apache did. Glad you didn't get hurt!!! or Apache! Horses will be horses I guess.
jane
Oh My! I'm so glad neither you or your son were hurt! That is a very strange reaction, I think.
I've never used hoof boots so I can't comment on her reaction.
Dawn over at "Horse and Man" has a post on boots today, you might find it helpful.
http://horseandman.com/
I'm sure you are not the only one with a horse who reacted badly to boots. Horses are so unpredictable that I just look for an escape route any time I do anything with them. The other day I was riding Bombay and my husband came out to pull weeds on the driveway and road. I thought, "Oh no, the last time the neighbor kept bending over and popping up while weeding, Bombay went berserk."
But instead of dismounting or telling my husband to weed some other time, I just had Bombay watch him for a few seconds, and then I rode and insisted that he keep his head set and his mind on our work, and there weren't any incidents. So, just because a horse freaks out about something one time doesn't mean it will freak out about the same thing every time, so don't fear trying a smaller size on her in the future, but do plan for an escape route just in case. I suspect that based on the way she came back to you in a calm manner, she's past that fear now.
Thank goodness you all are ok. We have used several different kinds of boot on our four horses. The only reaction we have had is they walked a little funny for a few minutes until they got used to them. I was shocked to hear about Apache's response. However, the worst is probably over. When you get the right size just let her have them on in her pasture for a few hours to get used to them. I love keeping my horses barefoot and boots help me to do that. I hope everything works out for you!
Oh Lisa, I'm sorry!! Who knew?
I worried that Lew would react like that - but she didn't. I'm sorry you & Apache went through this- and your son! Sounds like she calmed down really well though and came to YOU for support and guidance. That part's good!
I love our Cavallo boots.... our girls just did the high stepping march for a few minutes then settled right in.
Too bad that the boots were too big... I'm glad no one was hurt. I think it is neat that Apache actually came back to the barn - sort of like she was asking you to help her
I don't find it that weird that a horse would react to hoof boots for the first time - they often don't like weird stuff on their feet. I'm not sure what the best way to introduce boots would be...
Rusty had a panic like that when I tried those tall shipping boots on him (for trailering) - they didn't even touch his hooves and he lost his marbles.
Hopefully you can get another pair in the right size and try her again.
Horses live by their hooves and legs - I can easily see that something weird on their hoof might well be cause for a fear, even panic. Especially if it didn't fit exactly right.
Wow Liss, that freaked me out that you both were trapped in the stall with her not understanding -what?!!
Happy that you both fared well, and she too!
I agree with Kate, anything can set a horse off, and sometimes not what we may think!
Mine was alarmed by a new set of trailer shipping boots- 2 years ago when I got my trailer. I wrapped her up, and asked her to walk ( and I use leg wraps all the time)she would not move. To my horror when she did...she fell down, backwads on her rump! She was unable to bend her hind legs(not really) but that reaction was so severe.
Even now, when I put polos on her or sometimes a fresh pair of leg wraps that may be still...she'll lift up a leg and kick it or stomp.
Excited to hear of the upcomming ACTHA event for you!!
On the boots.*** I had a problem with that taller boots(any brand) used on the rear hooves. Carole, the maker of Cavallo-does not recommend them for the rear hooves- as the exstension of the leg makes them hit the tender area under the fetlock, and creates nerve damage. Be carefull. Carole said they are making a "Lower Profile" boot soon, for rear hoof wear.
I've gone to using "Renegades" for the rear..though like the easyboots, cavallos,Old Mac's, Deltas..they twist due to my mare's round hoof shape. Bla..hoof boots!
Have fun in your riding!!!
Kac
lisa, i'm totally amazed at how many horses do not freak out the first time someone fits boots on their hooves. really, it's a scary thing!!! i wonder how apache is about leg wraps and splint boots and such?
Wow! That sounds like a scary experience ... for everyone!
I've never tried boots on the boys, but they are funny enough if I put trailer wraps on their legs. It all feels so funny to them. I bet Apache thought the boot felt funny... a lack of sensation - kinda like our foot falling asleep. That could be scary, right?
I wanted to just say one thing about the issue of bikes on the trail- to just be alert. Even though Apache didn't seem to react to a bike inside her paddock where she can see it, she might have a different reaction to them on the trail, especially if there is a lot of brush around. They can hear the wizzing of the wheels way before we can hear or see them. Bikes are suppose to have a bell to warn others ( most don't) and they are suppose to stay on designated trails ( around here they don't do that either.)
Glad you didn't get hurt inside the stall with her!
Mine always act funny when first trying on hoof boots, splint boots, or pretty much anything like that. Never a huge reaction but they walk funny and are worried. I think it's to be expected, although I think Apache's reaction is extreme. The Renegade hoof boot website recommends letting the horse get used to the boots without a rider first but I don't remember the other company's info. (I love my Easyboot Epics by the way...)
I wonder if it would be a good idea to do some desensitizing around her feet, whether it's for boots or a possible accidental entanglement. It could save you both from injury. Have you done any rope work with her legs and hooves? You might ask your trainer to show you more about that. It can save you and your horse, in case she ever gets caught in anything. Then again, she might just need to wear the boots around for a few hours (in the right size of course) to get used to them. But rest assured, she can get used to them. Don't give up on the boot idea.
Well! that was certainly a spectacular reaction! Never had anything like that happen I used easy boots from time to time, and the biggest show I ever got was an oddly "high stepping horse for a few strides" Must have really surprised her to feel it ,hopefully next time is better
I'm glad you're ok! You never know what a horse is going to react to. And, I second the thought that she may react differently when she sees a bike on the trail. Don't be tense about it, just be aware that she may not be quite as complacent as she was in her paddock, with someone she knows.
Wow thats kinda a unexpected reaction, But I agree with everone else, that the next time will be better after she calmed down and walked back to you.
goodness! poor Apache! she probably thought a monster was on her foot and she panicked and it kept following her. You never know what things might trigger memories from the past. I've had horses freak the first time they see that they have a bandage on their leg - it goes on fine, but as soon as they move they're like - WHOA! WHAT IS THAT! GET IT OFF! it's probably just as simple as it was something new and (to her) bizarre that was attached to her foot. next time it will probably go much smoother.
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Gizmoe's owner just told us a story about his first time in hoof boots. He didn't react well either and the only thing they can figure out is that mustangs have tough feet, but very sensitive to vibrations, sensations, etc that they use in the wild as a form of protection and self-preservation. So once that contact with the ground was broken, he got all weird and spooky. It took awhile, but now he wears his hoof boots just fine and without any issues. That Apache came back to you on her own after the freak out is a good thing. I think she will be fine wearing her new boots once you get the correct size. Have fun on your ride this weekend! =)
Post a Comment