Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Indifferent?

 

I was recently reading a blog post reminding people that horses are not dogs and how they would rather spend time with their horse herd than with us humans. The blogger went on to say that horses aren’t food motivated to be with humans because they can find food all on their own. The blogger also said that horses will always be indifferent to us, because that’s just the way they are.

As I read that post, I immediately agreed with everything this blogger had written, not only because this blogger is more experienced with horses than I will ever be, but also because in my own horse-related experiences, I’ve come to realize the things she wrote about, as truth.

IMG_6812

But then there are times that make me question those supposed truths……….

Case in Point:

I do a silly little “Goodbye Apache” game with my mare every day, twice a day, when I walk away from the barn, after she’s been fed.

Sometimes I just casually throw a “Goodbye Apache” over my shoulder, especially if I’m in a hurry or the weather is bad. But most of the time, I will continue to say “Goodbye Apache” until she acknowledges me and turns her head towards me.

With her head down buried in her hay, totally focused on noshing, she tries to ignore me, but I’m tenacious and don’t give up. When Apache finally gives in and turns to look at me, I reward her with a “Good Girl” and then leave her in peace to eat.

IMG_6827

(Note: Ranchman John never does this little game with Apache and he tells me that once her head is buried in her hay, she never picks it back up again. Even as he walks back down to the house and turns around to have one last check on everything at the barn, Apache’s head is still in the down position.)

When Apache is focused on eating, which is most of the the day, she fits the description of indifferent. As I’m sure most horses do.

But this morning, Apache surprised me by doing something totally unexpected.

She stopped acting indifferent.

IMG_6829

After I fed Apache, instead of walking back down to the house after playing the “Good Bye Apache” game, like I always do, I walked around to the side of the barn and into her smaller paddock and then walked down the hill to my neighbor friend, Val of Fantastyk Voyage’s barn to check on Yalla! and her cria (baby alpaca).

IMG_6650

I was probably down there for a good 10 minutes and as I turned around and headed back up the hill towards the barn, I saw Apache exit her stall and walk quickly towards my direction.

My first thought was that she was just coming outside of the barn to get a drink. She has a water bucket in the barn, but she seems to prefer the one outside in her smaller paddock.

But she walked right past her outside water bucket and kept coming towards me. (What the heck? What does she want? Her food is in the barn. Why did she leave it to come outside?). When we finally reached one another halfway on the hill, she stopped, did a strange sideways glance, (like dogs do sometimes when you talk to them and they seem to be trying to figure out what you’re saying) and then gave me a low nicker.

IMG_6838

I quickly stroked her neck and scratched her back and then she turned herself around and walked back up to the barn with me. At the barn, she stopped and did that strange sideways glance thing again, and I wrapped my arms around her neck, scratched her head, and told her “Good Bye Apache”. With that she turned left into the barn, and I turned right and headed back down to the house.

So, what do you all think?

Why did Apache leave her breakfast to come find me?

Does she actually enjoy the “Good Bye Apache” game?

Or is it just a routine that she expects?

And if that’s the case, why doesn’t she expect the same routine from Ranchman John?

Why did my horse stop being indifferent, and actually seem to care where I was and why I hadn’t said “Good Bye Apache”, even if it meant leaving her breakfast behind?

IMG_6819



24 comments :

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the individual animal. You definitely can't make a blanket statement about all horses. Cass couldn't care less about me if food is around, but aj, on the otherhand, would leave his food if there were people around, and the mule at our barn will not eat if there is a person willing to pet him. He also won't go out with his pasture mates if someone is there to scratch his neck:)

Alison said...

Well, from a totally dog-centric perspective...maybe she sees the "Goodbye Apache" game as your giving her permission to eat. Since you didn't play the game, she didn't get your permission. Are horses as routine-oriented as dogs? 'Cause that would be enough to cause her discomfort. (If my hypothesis is correct, it would be a good sign she sees you as herd leader, though.)

And she doesn't expect it from John because he hasn't trained her the way you have. We do so much unintentional training with our animals through our daily interactions with them; probably more than most of us do intentionally!

On the other hand...maybe Apache was correcting your bad manners in not saying goodbye before you left! :)

Jeni said...

All good questions, and ones we probably will never know the answers to, as we don't speak 'equine' we can only guess.

I would assume for the same reasons that my mares nicker at me when I arrive at the barn. They are almost always outside with hay. They know I am not the lunch lady even though I do carry treats 50% of the time. I do know all the good itchy places and hit them every day, but honestly I'm the "let's get to work girls" lady. So in essences they should run from me!

Dan and Betty said...

One thought. . The writer of the blog (which we also read) was talking horses that live in herds. You are the main part of Apache's herd. If Apache was part of a larger herd she might act differently. Just a guess.

Dan

Robin said...

What a wonderful picture! (Found you on Carmon's blog....)

trump said...

I thought id stop by and post a comment since im checking out some new blogs. So greetings from the Amish settlement of Lebanon ,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

Anonymous said...

I've found that many horses really like routines and predictability - some more than others. It seems to give them great satisfaction to have things happen in a proper way and in a proper order. I think that's what Apache wanted - for things to be "right".

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I would answer that nice and cryptically by asking you 2 questions
1 who is Apache's herd?
2 Who is the Alpha in that herd?

Unknown said...

I think I was on that blog you mentioned (was it Julie Goodnight?) and posted a comment. It never gets many comments, because she really doesn't talk to readers, but I guess I can't help myself.

There is some connection, something more than indifference, IMHO. My horses will leave others to see me, to be taken out. They will lean on me sometimes, in a way that is similar to what I see in their interactions.

Trainers, in my experience, have two types of horses. Horses they train to sell and train for others, and rarely, a horse that is only theirs. That's their heart horse.

I've always seen something in that heart horse relationship that is different from the horses they train. From the horse, not just the trainer.

The connection is never to the same extent as a dog IMHO, but it's never as cut and dry as indifference either.

Maybe horses learn that they get passed around. Maybe that teaches them something. (egads, too long a comment, sorry!)

cdncowgirl said...

I'm guessing there are a couple different factors at play. First of all Apache's "herd" doesn't consist of other horses but instead of the other critters at your farm and YOU. You have made more effort to take a leadership role so you are also the "lead mare" of the herd.
As for what happened that day, horses are inherently curious animals and you changed your normal routine of how you leave the paddock. She wanted to see where you went and what you were up to.

BTW, not sure if I've mentioned it already but I love your new header :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Perhaps each person's perspective on the attitude of horses is reflected in their attitude toward horses. People always say that horses are mirrors. Lostine is always heads down after I feed her and she tries really hard to act indifferent, but if I give her enough hugs she starts acknowledging me. Bombay and Gabbrielle always lift their heads to say goodbye to me before I leave. So, each individual human and horse define the relationship together by mirroring the others attitude, I'm guessing. Sorry. I know what I'm trying to say, but it's not making much sense between the antihistamines and Ibuprofen.

Mikey said...

I don't see horses as indifferent at all. Mine are dependent on me for feed though, so that may make it different. But I do believe and have seen people make bonds with wild horses in the wild.
Around here my horses are any but indifferent. They're in my face, my back pocket, my space, doors and windows sometimes, just dying to know where I am and what I'm doing. I think Apache is becoming fond of you, as part of her horse herd. You do become that. She was checking you out and bringing you back safely with her. Or maybe she wanted your company? I think it's a good thing.

Redneck Geologist said...

I agree with Mikey. My horses are not indifferent. Maybe it is because they are in my backyard and I can go out and give them a pat anytime I want to. All I have to do is walk out there and they come running. Anyone of them will stay with me instead of going out with the others. When I boarded, my horse wasn't very happy to see me because I was there to ride but when I took her on a trail ride, I stopped to use the "facilities". A friend held the reins and I walked off into the woods. My horse started calling for me and tried to follow me. No, horses are not indifferent.

Redneck Geologist said...

I agree with Mikey. My horses are not indifferent. Maybe it is because they are in my backyard and I can go out and give them a pat anytime I want to. All I have to do is walk out there and they come running. Anyone of them will stay with me instead of going out with the others. When I boarded, my horse wasn't very happy to see me because I was there to ride but when I took her on a trail ride, I stopped to use the "facilities". A friend held the reins and I walked off into the woods. My horse started calling for me and tried to follow me. No, horses are not indifferent.

Lynn Brooks said...

Indifferent? I think NOT! I love this post and the picture at the end says it all.
I know my horses and other assorted animals care and have feelings for me. Thank you I mean Apache for proving it!

Jen68 said...

When I yell "Hi Buddy", 9 times out of 10, my 9 y.o. gelding that was born on our farm will raise his head whether in the pasture or at the hay cage, look at me and whinny.

Achieve1dream said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Achieve1dream said...

I'm with some of the others who have commented. It depends on the horse. That view/statement is too generalized. Some horses are indifferent, just as some dogs are and some humans are.

Chrome will leave his food 90% of the time to come see what I'm doing if I'm outside. He's just a really friendly, curious and personable horse. :)

I don't know why Apache went looking for you, but my guess would be that perhaps she knew you weren't done visiting because you hadn't said "Goodbye Apache" which has always meant you were going to the house. So maybe she was coming to find you to see why you hadn't said goodbye. Maybe she likes the routine as much as you do? :) I know that is probably anthropomorphizing a little though. Truthfully no one really knows what horses are thinking or why they do some of the things they do.

A Colorful World said...

I almost cried when I read this! Apache wanted to be with you that day, and that proves that he does enjoy the Goodbye Apache game and enjoys you. I agree with the other commenters about the fact that you are part of her his herd, because they are definitely pack animals. I read The Horse Whisperer years ago and was so struck was the use of turning your back on an animal you are trying to train and ignoring him...and how that works and gets the horse to come to you! It all makes sense. No they are not dogs. They don't seem to NEED us the way dogs do, but I think they do need a herd, even if it is comprised of other animals and humans.

Laura Crum said...

You know, every time some expert pronounces on what "horses" do, I can think of plenty of exceptions. Horses are like people--they're all different. I agree with those who said that Apache is growing fond of you. My tough little horse, Sunny, had a similar shift in behavior patterns after several years with me.

Maery Rose said...

I don't go so far as to believe any of my horses have loved me and some are more stand-offish than others (kind of like some people). But I don't think they are indifferent either. They are certainly curious when you are trying to fix the dang fence. My one horse Murphy would grab my hat or gloves or whatever he could get his teeth on and take off with it. Any maybe this is self-serving, but Luke, who is completely tormented by bugs in the summer, pretty much runs towards me when he sees I have bug spray or Vaseline to coat his chest against gnats. And there's the trust that has grown between us where he will do things with me that I know he's afraid of. I don't know what more you could ask for.

Gail said...

I know mine are always interested in what I'm doing. They may come to me for food but they stay for scratches and loving.

Maybe the person who decided this is the indifferent one.

Reddunappy said...

I love that last picture of your critters!!!! to cute!!!

Horses have been domesticated for 5-6 thousand years. I believe that they like being with their humans, most of them. You are Apaches boss mare, she had to go see what was up.
To make sure all was ok.
I try to not anthromorphize my critters, but sometimes it hard LOL

Keechy said...

I agree with the bit about moving them around making them less interactive. Most of my horses have been really friendly, if not at first then after a little while of me owning them. But, I had one mare who was very businesslike, had played polo cross and been pushed around from pillar to post. I despaired of getting through to her, but read online where someone mentioned giving them scritchies in the paddock every day whether they liked it or not. Well, I did that and she went from a horse you couldn't find a spot she liked to be patted, to a horse who would follow you around all day and who loved a scritchy anywhere (especially around unreachable spots her boobies!). And no, that horse never got moved on again. It wouldn't have been fair to make her go back to expecting the worst.

Which is not to say that they don't need herd company. Most of them do. But, I would be very suspicious of the handling/training skills of a person who thought every horse was indifferent. Maybe it is just the way *they* treat them.