Well Mustang Sally has been with our family for a week now and it feels like she’s been here much longer. Sally has already integrated herself into our daily lives and she’s a perfect addition to our family. She goes everywhere we go, and does everything we do, just like Dobbie Girl has been doing for the past 2 years since we adopted her, too.
I think that Sally’s need to be included in her family’s daily lives is what might have caused her past two homes to return Mustang Sally to the Animal Shelter. Sally is a dog that craves human attention and doesn’t like to be away from her human family. She is like a little shadow and wants nothing more than to be cuddled, taken for walks, for rides in the car and to be loved. This is why Mustang Sally fits in so well with our family. Just about everywhere we go, we take our dogs with us.
(Ranchman John immediately fell in love with Mustang Sally when he came home from Phoenix last week)
(And it’s safe to say that Mustang Sally fell in love with Ranchman John, too)
(Thanksgiving was kind to Mustang Sally, and she seemed pleased to have her own bone to chew on that night)
Something new to share: Mustang Sally is finally learning to ignore our 3 cats and doesn’t always bark when she sees them. But she doesn’t seem to realize that she is little, tiny Chihuahua, and wants to go head to head with our German Shepherd dog Zuni, when we are up at the barn. Thankfully, Zuni is mostly an outside dog, secured safely in her large paddock, with the important job of guarding our goats and llamas.
(There’s Zuni in the background running the fenceline, keeping an eye on things, while Dobbie keeps an eye on our gelding llama, Catlinite)
Zuni only comes inside at night or in bad weather to sleep in her crate. But I’m still surprised at how bold Mustang Sally has been when she stands up to Zuni. Doesn’t Sally know that Zuni could snap her in half if Zuni could get to her?!
She even stands up to our llamas and goats
Check out this video I took when we were up at the barn tonight:
The llamas were just being curious and friendly with her but Mustang Sally wanted them to know that, even though they are much bigger than her and outweigh her by at least 350lbs, she won’t be pushed around. Thank. You. Very. Much.
And Mustang Sally has a few strange quirks, just to keep things interesting.
She still does that endearing, but very weird behavior where she sucks on a stuffed animal while wrapping her paws around it tightly and every so often making odd little grunting noises. After a few minutes of this, she is fast asleep.
And the other day, I decided it was finally time to tackle the issue of her long toenails. Her last owner warned me that trimming Mustang Sally’s toenails can be quite challenging, but I’ve never had any problems trimming any of our dogs or cat’s toenails in the past and just figured, “She’s only 6lbs. How hard can it really be?”
(Dobbie says, “Sally’s screams freaked me out! She even refused to listen to me when I tried to convince her that nail trimming is no big deal and that my Mama will never hurt her!”)
Well, I’m here to say that trying to trim Mustang Sally’s toenails is like trying to convince a tornado to stay still and calm down. I swear! It was like Mustang Sally thought I was trying to murder her. I’ve never heard such shrill screams come from a little, itty, bitty dog like that before. And that was before I’d even touched the clipper to her toenails!
Finally after wrapping the Chihuahua burrito-style, in a fleece blanket, and squeezing her between my thighs to keep her from wriggling, I got ‘er done! All 4 feetsies, too.
But when I released little Miss Mustang Sally, she hightailed it underneath the bed, totally miffed that I’d foiled her opportunity to win the Guinness Book of World Records for the dog with the longest nails.
Finally after much begging, persuasion and slithering like a snake trying to reach her underneath the bed, I finally convinced Mustang Sally to forgive me.
So now I’m just hoping that Little Miss Drama Queen’s toenails are of the slow growing type.
(And here’s an After-Trim photo. Notice, too that most of her teeth have been removed on her right side, hence the sunken lips)
Gotta love her!
23 comments :
Something about toes! wanna fly up and trim my sisters westie? Another dramma dog he is! I read or heard that Chihuahuas were bred for the very wealthy women to carry up close to thier expensive jewely(earing necklaces ) bred specifically to be agressive . So if it is true it stands to reason she would have a bit of a case of "short dog syndrome " and be protective of her space . WHo knows? she sure is a cutie
Oh yes, the drama of toenails. Wade's lil dog is like that. I went to a Pet Palooza thing where some vet techs were trimming nails for free. I thought "Fantastic! I don't have to do it" and it was horrible. He screamed, and he peed on one girl. He's due again and I'm a hair away from just taking him in and having him sedated, lol. Those lil dogs, I just hate the screaming! Over nothing!
Thanks for the reminder that I need to do this :)
Sally has the cutest little warning bark--it sounded like the words, "Look out, you!" to me.
It's making me smile to think how she ended up in the most perfect place for her (and for you).
Love your sofa, by the way.
Our Cindi screams bloody murder at any attempt to cut her nails, while Martha only wiggles a little, especially if she knows I've got a few kibbles with her name on them.
Martha is also a tyrant with Chula the Doberman, who usually puts up with her. But Chula is getting old and crotchety, and we have to watch her now, because she can still be fast and mean when she's had enough.
Love the "Lassie foot" in that last picture.
I wonder why some dogs are so goofy about their toes? Maybe one time someone got the quick?
She is tiny and mighty, as a chihuahua should be. Roxie at our house has an underbite. Something about those crooked smiles that just makes them alll the more love able. Glad her guardian angel was working over time and found just the right family!
What a character! Even with all the nail drama it sounds like she's right at home.
I think a lot of people underestimate the need for companionship in dogs, especially the toy breeds without a working purpose like herding or sporting dogs. When I worked at a doggy daycare, the toy breeds were always the ones with the worst insecurities (and manners!) but they were also the best snugglers and hang-around dogs.
I'm so glad you took Mustang Sally in and are giving her the loving home she deserves!
I'm a bit slow to comment here - but she is sooo cute! She is lucky to have found a home with you and your family. :-)
Good job on getting her nails clipped - hopefully in time it won't be such an issue. I clip the nails on my three house cats without any problem (they don't go outside at all...) but my big labrador retriever hated having his nails done! Lol he was a wimp!
Scrappy is the same way. He bites me hard in addition to screaming. Midge gets upset and tries to get in between us to make me stop. Every day I play with his toenails and make clipping sounds and sensations to try to desensitize him. I also make him sleep with the toenail clipper. It seems to be working, because his reactions are getting less intense over time. Wrapping him in a blanket is a good idea. I'll try that.
What a cutie miss Sally is and what a lucky girl to have found you.
I was told by a dog behaviourist that when dogs feel they are the alpha in the family they will not allow grooming, especially toe nail trimming. Whether this is true or not, have no idea! But here's a little test you could do; gently roll her on to her back and see if you can hold her in that position for a few seconds. That's a very submissive position and if she considers you beneath her she will get pretty upset! Susan garrett writes a good book about all of it.
Might I suggest a dremel for nail trimming? I have one Collie the screams at the sight of the nail clippers, but sits still for the dremel.
I'm so glad she's integrated into your lives though =)
In college I kept my horse at a barn that was 'managed' by a Chihuahua and two German Shepherds. Two very large Shepherds! That little Chihuahua ruled the roost. She always bossed the big girls around.... and they listened!
I'm glad Mustang Sally has found a forever home with you.
I love your header photo - It is so cute!
I loved reading this post and hearing how well Sally is settling in with your family! She looks like such a special little lady and now she has found a family to love her...even with all of her little quirks! =) Our Doberman hated to have her nails trimmed! She made the most awful noises when we got out the nail trimmers. It was almost like a scream! Horrible sound! We only trimmed them ourselves the first time and then took her to have them done by the vet. Our vet would charge $5 for a nail trim and it was so worth it!
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! So hard to believe the holidays are upon us!
Chihuahua's at said to have a Napolean complex and I think that's true of every Chihuahua's I have known.
Dan
LOL! Wanna trim my tootsies too?:-)
What a lucky girl she is, being adopted into a loving family with lots of activity. What a wonderful Thanksgiving story!
I just had to chuckle over poor little Mustang Sally getting her toenails trimmed! I bet when she was a puppy they were cut too close or something and she remembers! Anyway, she's sure fit right into the family. Cute post!
So glad to hear Sally is fitting right it. I figured someone in your family would adopt her as their own special pup--I never would have guessed the Ranchman, though, lol!
I am lucky again with Rosie--though her nails are long enough to click-click-click on the linoleum, the walks on the concrete sidewalk keep them nicely worn down and smooth. I had the vet look at them, since I'd heard the click-clicking is a sign they're too long, but she said, nope, they're just fine the way they are. I tell you, any dog that follows Rosie in my life has a lot to live up to!
She is a cutie!!
She's a tenacious little thing isn't she? Love how she loves everyone and stands up for herself. I wonder if she's ever had her nails trimmed and if she did if someone hurt her. I'm guessing the more she has it done the more mundane it will get for her. She's a cutie though.
Sally is adorable!! Sounds like she is fitting in well! I hear some dogs just hate their toenails clipped, but none of my dogs seem to mind.
Love Sally with the llama!! Too cute!
Why is it that I smile from the time I start reading your blog to the time I finish? Oh, is it because it is so freaking cute? Animals wearing little cute red and blue coats and having names like Mustang Sally? Maybe it is the stunning quality of your photographs? Or the charming play by play of the family's events? Is it because your blog is just totally AWSUM?
Just darling!! I love new dogs. I love any dogs. Looks like she is doing just great!
I just love that last photo of her, very descriptive. I like her wry smile, it gives her character. It's nice that she and Ranch man Jon enjoy each others company. She seems to really fit in.
Post a Comment