Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Snow won’t Go….and I’m SO Over Winter!

 

It’s been a week since our first snow storm, and 5 days since the last snow storm dumped almost 2 feet of snow on us. And the snow just continues to stick around.

(The snow has formed a very hard, crunchy crust and is challenging to walk on with chunks of snow feeling more like rocks and small boulders. Makes for painfully twisted ankles and knees. Dobbie is light enough that she can walk on top of the snow without breaking through)

IMG_7430 

This is something we’re just not used to here in New Mexico. We tend to go some snow and a day or two later it has completely melted away.

(I took this photo today. This is the only road into and out of our neighborhood. Since it’s a rural private road, the county doesn’t clear it. Hey. You can see my house in the rear view mirror!)

IMG_7354

Our temps have stayed in the 20’sF during the day and even though we have sunshine, it’s just too cold for any major meltage (my new word). The next few days we’re supposed to get into the upper 30sF, but then by Monday another snow storm (or 2 or 3) will be blowing in.

(The chickens are happy that I shoveled a wide lane between our back door and the chicken coop, right after the snow storm. The small area I shoveled inside their coop is not enough space for them to move about without feeling all cooped up.)

IMG_7444

Actually, I’ve always liked snow. It’s beautiful. What I don’t like is the snow that overstays it’s welcome and makes my twice daily treks up the hill to the barn, carrying heavy 5 gallon buckets of hot water to help melt frozen water tanks, so terribly difficult.

(Why anyone would build a barn at the top of a hill in a place that is known to get up to 2 feet of snow at a time during the winter, is beyond me! I have already decided that my future home will have a barn built right beside it.)

IMG_7434 

I really wish we had electric in our barn, but the darn gophers chewed our electric wires last year and the costs to have the 350-400 ft lines rewired and retrenched up to the barn is out of our budget for now. So, instead I hammer away at the 3-4” thick ice in the water tanks every day, so my horse, llamas and goats will have fresh water.

(Apache seems grateful for the bucket of warm grain mash I make for her each morning)

IMG_7437

And to rub it in, Ranchman John shared a photo on Facebook, that he took today of himself on the ramp working in Phoenix, wearing a short sleeve shirt, and bragging about how it’s a balmy 70F degrees.

Ugh. I’m already sick of winter and it’s only December.

(Apache and I are both dreaming of warm sunny, summer days)

IMG_7436



12 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Yep, I agree. I'm ready for Spring - even with the winds.

Dan.

StefRobrts said...

That post made me cold just reading it! I was just telling my husband this time of year seems like the worst possible time to have a horse, what with icy water troughs and slogging through mud. Hang in there, the days will be getting longer again soon, and spring will make you forget all this!

Babygoose said...

I agree! I am done with winter. Of course, I was done with winter before it started! What is really unusual is we got about 7 inches of snow here north of Las Cruces out of that storm, and there is still snow on the ground today!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

So, does this mean you are thinking of moving to Arizona too? At least for the winter?

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! we don't have snow yet but it has been down in the teens at night and stays in the thirties during the day. Not very typical for us. Our gas bill last month was the highest it has ever been for November since we've lived in our house (six years) global warming my rear end!

Dreaming said...

Our snow has been hanging around here and wearing out its welcome also.... and we only got about 10"!
Love Apache's picture! So cute!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Weird! we barley have any snow at all here in the frozen north! Love Dobies coat

Ed said...

LOL! And you live in the mountains, go figure, be safe.:-))

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Yeah, hauling water buckets of hot water a quarter mile to the barn several times a day is when I count the mouths in my herd and decide I have too many critters.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

we haven't had a SPOT of snow yet, nothing! the mountains have snow, and it had been quite cold down here, but no snow yet under my toes. I'd take yours away from you if I could!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

jane augenstein said...

I am so glad I have water at our barn and an 18 gallon electric bucket for the boys. They drink a lot of water in the winter when it's warmed for them.
Boy, that is a lot of snow! Be careful and don't slip!
jane

Mary said...

I sure hope those boys of yours help out. That is not good for your knees. The weather is just plain weird lately. We haven't really had any measurable rain since Thanksgiving, I'm in the pacific northwest for cripes sake! This hasn't happened they say, since the early 1800's or so. I have no idea how they know this, but it's really weird nonetheless. Be careful out there.