Friday, April 13, 2012

Visiting the New Neigh-bors

 

Aftr hearing the commotion of horses’ excited neighing, I was drawn to investigate outdoors.

Yalla! and Apache asked me if I knew what was going on. When I said I had no idea, they pointed me in the direction that all the commotion had come from. Hey thanks ladies!

IMG_0564 

 

My daughter and I walked over to our neighbor’s property. He owns two hundred acres of ridgeline and pastures, but doesn’t actually have a home on the land. Instead he offers pasture leases to folks with horses and cattle, and two of my other neighbors and I have pasture leased from him so our horses could graze on the summer grass. We were also able to ride on it whenever we wanted, too. But sadly, I just recently discovered that the owner has the land up for sale for a shocking $2,520,000.00! I’m very concerned that a real estate investor will grab it up and build a big subdivision there. That would really suck. If only I had a couple million. sigh.

But I digress.

When we got over to the fence line, I could see a couple horses off in the distance.

IMG_0599  

I felt bad that I didn’t have any carrots or treats, but I whistled to see if the horses would come when I called.

 

 

And they did!

IMG_0593

Well, the mare was very friendly with me, but the gelding never did come close enough for me to touch him.

IMG_0611

But I did notice that his nostrils were dripping a small amount of blood.

IMG_0607

Instead he continually called out to anyone that would listen.

IMG_0620

The mare enjoyed my petting and scratching and when she wandered off to graze, she would often stop and look up as if she was making sure I was still there.

IMG_0581

 

I felt bad for her and her misshapen leg and knee. She definitely had a hard time running on that leg and couldn’t keep up with the gelding when he would run off.

IMG_0601

 

When he went off running and screaming, I called out to the mare and she ran back to me.

IMG_0572

 

And then she pawed the ground, dropped and rolled, sending up a huge cloud of dust.

IMG_0616

I could see that she really enjoyed that. *grin*

IMG_0617

 

Jen and I hung out with the new neighbors for a little while, ripping up little bunches of spring grass and feeding them to the mare. A few times I’d look back towards my house and would see my Apache mare standing there, head high, ears forward, watching me as I visited with the neighbor horses.

But soon it was time to head back home and say goodbye to the neighbor horses. The mare was so sweet. She nickered to me as I walked away.

IMG_0622

And when I walked past my neighbor friend, Val’s arena, her horses whinnied at me, obviously asking me to tell them all about their new neighbors.

IMG_0626

After I caught them up on the goings-on next door, they wandered off.

Yalla! and Apache wanted a little more information and took great big sniffs of my hands and my arms and then Yalla! wandered off, too.

IMG_0568

I gave Apache a hug and told her the new neighbors were very nice, but she is the one I love. Apache whuffed and nuzzled all over my face and hair and gave me a wet kiss.

Sometimes new neigh-bors aren’t so bad…..



14 comments :

Gail said...

Good to know the new neighbors are nice.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

What a cute greeting from Apache! Hope the land doesn't get sold off to a developer!! That sure would be a shame.

Grey Horse Matters said...

You're right new neigh-bors aren't so bad if they have four legs. Hope they are alright and someone comes to check on them once in a while.

I wouldn't worry so much about the guy next door selling that property. That seems like a lot of money for land in this economy.

Dreaming said...

How sweet that they came running up. It sounds like they are really lonely and missing someone.
I always find it fascinating that the horses NEVER miss a thing!

Dan and Betty said...

Fun post and great pictures. I wish we had horses close to us. Sugar and Morgunn rarely see another horse unless we ride in the Bosque.

Dan

Reddunappy said...

New neighbors!

The blood in his nose is probably just a burst vessel. If he wasnt used to running a lot and breathing really hard he could have burst one.
Easy did that one time, its kind of scary at first but not something to worry about, unless it doesnt stop.
Race horses have this happen to them a lot, because they work so hard.

Crystal said...

The gelding sure looks hairy! I love the rolling pic, with all the dust and then the mares face when she got up :)

Anonymous said...

Aww! The best kind of neighbors to have!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Nice of you to check in on them, and glad they are sweet

DesertHen said...

New neigh-bors sure can perk everyone up in the neigh-borhood! =)

Paint Girl said...

That sounds like a really sweet mare. I love it when they just really enjoy the attention. Apache and Yalla! are so cute together!

Ed said...

Cool, hope the bloody nose was not to bad..:-)

lisa said...

I had an old mare that had an old injury and her leg was like that. I took her because the guy that had her was riding her with the leg like that and I couldn't say no after that. She lived to be 22 when I finally put her to rest!

Alison said...

I bet if that gelding weren't so shy, he'd enjoy a good currying! That winter coat looks itchy!

I wonder if we could get up enough money from all your readers to buy off 50 or acres closest to you. Then we could use it as a primitive-camping, trail-riding time share. :) (You could make some extra money selling eggs and photos to us, lol.)