Saturday, August 10, 2013

Equine Fun and Games at 4 Winds

 

Oh my! This summer has been busy and filled with many fun adventures and activities. I’ve not had a chance to update my blog in a couple weeks!

Soon after my previous ride down at 4 Winds Equestrian Center with my new friend Leiah and her gelding Atsili, I was invited to come down again for a special all-day equine fun and games event and to be the photographer. I love riding at 4 Winds and I enjoy seeing all of my good friends down there, too, so I was happy to accept the invitation.

The first event of the day was a Ride and Tie where two people are on a team and one rides the horse out to a specific location and the other person walks or runs behind. The rider then ties up the horse at the specific location, and then walks or runs back to the starting line, while the other team member finally reaches the tied horse, mounts and then rides the horse back to the starting/finish line.

Here is the first group of walkers, and one rider, heading out to the tie-up location.

The rider up front, my friend Anna, is riding my friend Barb’s horse while Barb is walking behind.

The gal on the left, wearing the pink shirt, was walking while her husband rode. And the gal on the right, my friend Linda, was walking while her team mate Dita rode Linda’s horse out to the Tie Out location.

IMG_2554

And here is my friend Dita riding Linda’s horse out to the tie-up location.

IMG_2550

And here is Dita after tying up the horse and walking back to the start/finish line.

IMG_2558

And the winning team for the Ride and Tie event was Anna and Barb. And here is Barb and her mare Alex.

IMG_2559

 

After the Ride and Tie event, it was time for the Timed Trail Event. And since this was taking place on a 3 mile trail across part of the ranch, I needed to saddle up Apache and head out, too, so I could take photos.

My friend Karen and her horse Rio were volunteering as a Safety Rider.

IMG_2563

And my friend Barb and her mare Alex were competing in the Timed Trail Event.

IMG_2564

 

We all rode down the hill away from the stables to the Starting Line. My friend Colleen rode her 4-wheel mule down to make sure everything was running smoothly.

IMG_2566

I had kept Apache overnight at 4 Winds in a paddock and after I saddled her up she was ready to hit the trails. She really loves trail riding, too, and especially at 4 Winds. She thinks having our picture taken is kind of silly, though.

IMG_2585

My friends Cindy and Leslie were there, too. The last time we had ridden together was last November when we rode to Village Pizza for lunch, through the beautiful Corrales Bosque, beneath the Autumn-colored Cottonwood trees, beside the Rio Grande: Corrales Bosque Autumn Trail Ride

It was great to ride with them again.

IMG_2568

And my friend Linda, who I hadn't ridden with since my birthday almost a year ago!

That blog post here: Birthday Trail Ride

IMG_2572

And of course, my friend Karen.

IMG_2575

And Linda and my friend Dita, too.

IMG_2580

Apache was laid back, but ready to get started.

IMG_2578

But first, all the riders needed to listen to the Timed Trail Ride Briefing.

Richard and Didi, also friends of mine who are living and working at 4 Winds, had marked, GPS’d and ridden this chosen trail several times. They had rode it at a steady pace without cantering and only a bit of trotting over a few sections. They timed the trail so that the ride would be an enjoyable experience and so that the competition would not be all about racing to the finish line. 

The winner of the Timed Trail Event would not be the rider who arrived at the finish line first, but the one that was closest to the time that it took Richard and Didi to ride the trail at a steady, but relaxed pace.

IMG_2581

 

This is the GPS map that Richard and Didi created to show the route of the Timed Trail (pink) as well as the Ride and Tie (blue).

ride_tie_trail_pace map2

 

Barb was the first to head out, followed by Karen and I…….after Karen took a couple photos of Apache and I.

“Come on Karen! Let’s Go!” I was saying. lol!

IMG_2583

Once we were on the trail for about 15 minutes, Dita and Linda caught up with Apache and I, while Karen, riding her gaited horse Rio, rode way up ahead.

IMG_2588

The trail was well-marked with pink ribbons so it was easy for Apache and I to stay on the trail and not get lost.

IMG_2591

For the beginning part of the ride we even had a couple canines to join us.

IMG_2594

 

And here come Dita and Linda!

IMG_2589

 

Apache seemed to sense this wasn’t our typical lazy, relaxed trail ride and she was much more forward and energized than she typically is. She even offered to canter a few times, and I was so excited, I just let her.

But her favorite gaits are still walk and trot, so we didn’t canter for a sustained amount of time. Still we managed to get far behind any other riders and horses, and at one point, I even lost the trail because I wasn’t paying attention. Apache got a little fired up over it and started calling out to her fellow equine friends and I ended up calling out to my human friends to help me get back on the trail.   

IMG_2600

 

We caught up with our friends and all was right with the world again, and we continued on down the trail at a steady pace.

IMG_2596

 

And I paid much closer attention to the pink ribbons!

IMG_2604

At one point Apache thought we should take a short-cut back to the stables and we had a little argument about it. And then we rode up onto a tall hill in the Eventing Field, where we finally caught sight of the rest of our friends up ahead, and then cantered down to catch up to them.

IMG_2602

 

And before we knew it, our 3 mile Timed Trail Ride was over and we had arrived at the Finish Line where Richard and Didi were there to greet everyone and record their ride time.

IMG_2608

Apache and I stood in the shade beside Didi, and Karen, so I could photograph the riders as they crossed the finish line.

IMG_2609

Hi Barb!

IMG_2603

 

And this friendly married couple and their wonderful horses…..

IMG_2612

And Cindy and Leslie.

IMG_2617

 

And Anna!

IMG_2620

 

I can’t remember who won the Timed Trail, but everyone kept commenting on what a beautiful trail it was to ride and we all wished it had been even longer.

But by the time we had finished the trail ride, it was already noon and time for some lunch, followed by some more equine fun and games afterwards.

IMG_2622

 

Up next: Mounted Shooting Demo and a Boulder Holder Hunt!



No comments :