I had my horse down at 4 Winds Equestrian Center for the holiday weekend and to celebrate my 47th birthday. I was excited to ride with some of my friends who are boarders or members of 4 Winds and since my horse hadn’t been ridden for almost 2 weeks, I knew she could use some exercise, new sights and stimulation.
After getting saddled up, my friends Linda and Craig wanted to take a photo of Craig and I, since we were both celebrating our birthdays that week. Craig is a lot of fun and is the primary buyer of my hen’s fresh eggs each month. Craig and I always laugh when we get together. He and Linda are good folks.
First on the agenda were some arena games, like broom polo and an obstacle course.
This is my friend Linda, Craig’s wife, playing broom polo.
This is Eric, one of the 4 Winds staff and horse trainers, working on convincing this horse to walk across the tarp.
This is Jay, a 4 Winds member, playing broom polo.
And then we all took turns introducing our horses to carrying flags in preparation for the new 4 Winds Drill Team.
Jay…..
Linda……
Dita…….
These are my friends, Colleen (owner of 4 Winds), Dita, and Linda.
Apache aced it. And beyond just trying to avoid riding beneath the flag when it was attached to the fence, she was completely unfazed by me carrying the flag as we walked around the arena.
I think we are ready for Drill Practice!
Gosh! I love my horse! But she’s such a silly girl!
There was also a little mini-obstacle trail through the trees with weird stuff hanging from the branches, like a sparkly hula hoop, some bright towels, streamers and balloons. Apache and I led the way through and besides just cocking an eye at a couple of the weird items, she was unfazed.
After the Arena Games we all headed out on a trail ride around the 4 Winds Ranch.
Because of all the rainfall during New Mexico’s generous Monsoon Season, 4 Winds actually has several ponds on their ranch!
Craig riding one of Colleen’s mares named Granola.
My friend Kristi
This pond used to be a large prairie dog town, before the natural bowl filled with water. So, unfortunately we didn’t venture out into the water because of the threat of falling into a prairie dog hole.
If you look closely on this little island in the middle of the pond, there are several Killdeer. Although Killdeer are considered shorebirds, they often live far from water. They live in grassland habitats such as fields, meadows, and pastures. Killdeer are graceful plovers common to lawns, golf courses, athletic fields, and parking lots. These tawny birds run across the ground in spurts, stopping with a jolt every so often to check their progress, or to see if they’ve startled up any insect prey. These birds forage for food in fields, mudflats, and shores. They mainly eat insects. Their voice, a far-carrying, excited kill-deer, is a common sound even after dark, often given in flight as the bird circles overhead on slender wings.
I’m pretty sure Apache was wishing I’d take her into that water. She loves to play in water, and she loves to wallow in it like a hippo most of all….regardless of whether I am on her back or not. lol!
We left the pond behind and wandered around the open fields of the ranch. This handsome cowboy, riding one of Colleen’s gaited horses is Richard, my friend Kristi’s boyfriend.
And of course, Eric riding one of the horses he is training for Colleen.
Apache surprised me on this trail ride as she was very energetic and forward…not lazy, slow and laid back like she usually is. We were often in the lead, with her wanting to trot for most of the ride. It was rather fun to have my horse feeling so good underneath me.
This is my buddy Linda on her gelding Bandit.
My friend Dita and her mare.
Friends and 4 Winds members, Jay and Patty.
Friends and 4 Winds Staff, Richard and Didi.
Eventually we rode back to the stables, where we dropped off Richard and Didi and let our horses have a drink.
Apache and I gazing down the driveway that leads into 4 Winds. The Manzano Mountains in the distance.
My friend Kristi and her man Richard.
Jay and Patty
We headed out to the east side of the ranch and rode out into the Eventing Field.
Jay and Patty riding down a hill behind Apache and I.
Like I said, Apache was quite forward and energetic and I didn’t take as many photos as I normally do on a trail ride, as I was too busy riding and focusing on my horse and the trail. I had so much fun letting Apache blast up several steep berms used for Eventing. I’m pretty sure Apache had fun, too. (You can see those berms up ahead in the distance in the photo below)
It was a great day having fun with friends and our equines!
No comments :
Post a Comment