Last month Apache and I revisited a very special place down near Alamagordo, NM. We were heading back to White Sands National Monument.
Me, Rosemary, Barb, Annette and Shelley, with Latana behind the camera.
My friend Barb wanted to celebrate her birthday by riding at White Sands, but since she had never been there before and didn't know of anyplace to stay, and she knew I have a friend who lives not too far away who had offered her home and barn, she asked if I would join her. I didn't hesitate, and immediately said yes.
So, we stayed with my friend Latana in Las Cruces, about and hour from White Sands. Barb also invited some of our Cloud Rider friends, from Ruidoso, to join us at White Sands to celebrate her birthday, too. I was excited to see Annette and Shelley again and to finally meet Rosemary.
Riding at White Sands is truly a Bucket List kind of ride, so having the opportunity to ride there twice in one year is pretty darn amazing.
There are no established trails at White Sands. It's a fun place to just wander around and explore. There are some amazing gypsum sand sculptures to play with, too.
Apache was very forward that day and eager to explore and check everything out.
This sand sculpture reminded me of a cake. Rosemary and her horse were inside the cake. haha!
Shelley and Annette lost their gloves and cell phone during the ride, but went back and were able to find them, with Rosemary joining them. Apache and I, along with Barb and Latana stayed back and waited for them to return. Apache really just wanted to keep moving forward. She didn't seem to care if she left everyone behind. She really seems to like exploring White Sands, too.
Rosemary, Shelley and Annette.
I love the wide open spaces and beautiful vistas.
It's really so surreal to ride at White Sands. The last time I rode there, a couple friends said it probably wouldn't be as special to ride there again, but I can safely say that each time riding and exploring at White Sands is amazing and very special.
These tall sand mountains are created by sand gathering among the roots of shrubs. They are kind of Dr. Seuss-like. Such an odd thing to see popping up out of the sand.
But they make for great photo opportunities.
Me and my Apache mare.
Apache and I decided it would be fun to circle around and ride the entire base of the Dr. Seuss mountain.
She is really enjoying being the lead horse more often and I'm so proud of her bravery. And mine, too.
Barb and her horse Alex and me and my Apache mare
It's a blast to canter up the dunes, but we didn't do much of that this ride, because one of the riders was too nervous to canter. Apache and I did a little cantering away from our group and it was lots of fun.
The dunes at White Sands National Monument can grow over 50 feet tall! They can travel up to 30 feet a year! Rosemary and her mare rode up to the top of this tall dune, so I could get a picture.
Amazing vistas!
The flat areas between the dunes can be very fragile with vegetation, burrows for animals, and cryptobiotic soil. Hikers and horseback riders are supposed to ride around these areas, along the edge of the dunes.
Towards the end of our ride, the wind kicked up and started pelting us with sand at the tops of the dunes.
The way the sand softened the dunes as the wind blew it around was mezmerizing to watch.
And the wind created interesting patterns in the sand.
Barb, me and Latana. We're all wearing our felt western-style HideaHelmet helmet covers.
One of Apache's favorite aspects of riding at White Sands National Monument is being allowed to roll in the sand after the ride!
Rolling...........
Rolling....................
Rolling...............
Aaahhhhh......feels soooo good!
Barb and I were thrilled to be riding at White Sands! And what an awesome place to celebrate her birthday!
Apache and I both say: "Life is Good!!!"































No comments :
Post a Comment