(I've been so busy and almost forgot to post about this ride)
A few months ago, my friend Paula asked me if she could drive up to the mountains and ride with me on a trail close to my house. I chose the Juan Tomas Open Space, because I hadn't ridden there yet, and a friend of mine shared his GPS track with me, from a ride he and his girlfriend had done there last Fall. This Open Space also connects to trails at Oak Flats and I have ridden there before a few times before, and gotten lost on thos trails, too. So, I was eager to upload his GPS track to my Magellan and follow the bread crumb trail.
Tacking up my Apache mare.
Paula and her two wonderful mules: Angel and Tecumseh (Sadly Angel recently passed away from colic) Paula ponied Angel off of Tecumseh that day. Angel and Tecumseh had been a team while packing and riding the Continental Divide Trail, from Mexico to Canada, a little over a year ago. Paula bought them from the French lady, Krystel, when she was finished with her CDT journey.
This is a very secluded area and is surrounded by National Forest, and we were riding during the week, so we never saw any hikers or riders on the Juan Tomas trails. It was very peaceful and beautiful.
Me and Apache bringing up the rear.
Paula and her mules way up ahead.
Paula and Tecumseh at a trail junction
Which way shall we go Apache?
Hard to tell in the photo, but looking back over my shoulder, that trail was very steep and rocky.
Such a beautiful trail. Apache and I really enjoyed ourselves.
When we finally connected up with the Oak Flats trail system, we were in the National Forest, and we came upon two Rangers that were mapping trails to create new trails and close-off confusing trails. They are hoping to bring in more signage and make an updated trail map, so getting lost is not such a common ocurrence here. (Yay!!) We talked with them for about 15 minutes and they even directed us to a short-cut trail that we could use to get to our lunch spot, the Oak Flats Picnic Grounds.
We had already been riding over 2 hours, so we stopped to stretch our legs and have a little rest.
Apache and I exploring.....
Heading back down the trail again.....
After another 30 minutes we finally arrived at Oak Flats Picnic Grounds.
Apache was happy to take a nap while Paula and I relaxed and ate our lunches.
Then.....back down the trail we went.
Time to re-enter the Juan Tomas Open Space.
Apache always eyes these gates a little suspiciously, but she never balks. I think she worries about them not being wide enough or that she won't step high enough over the bottom rail.
I love all the tall ponderosas and the thick forest. And I especially love that these trails are so close to my house.
This is my trail riding face. I'm pretty sure that smile never leaves when I'm riding my mare out on the trails.
One last trail obstacle: The trailhead equine gate. No problem. Apache sees the trailer, and after an almost 5 hour ride, she's ready to get un-tacked and have a drink of water.
Speaking of obstacles, I experienced a couple myself. The trails were often very narrow and lined with trees annd sharp branches. Some of them reached out and grabbed me and tore holes in my riding breeches.
One branch even drew blood. Ouch! (Good News! Right after this ride, my friend Paula loaned me a pair of chinks for future forest rides.)
Beautiful weather, gorgeous trails, good friend, wonderful equines, perfect day!!

























No comments :
Post a Comment