A couple weeks ago I took my Apache mare for a ride up into the Sandia Mountains, so she wouldn’t feel left-out after I bought my new mule. She loves the mountain trails as much as I do, especially when we get to the top above 10, 000 ft elevation, and get to enjoy the expansive views. Sometimes she even refuses to leave. And I don’t blame her.
I think she also loves trail rides in the mountains because she knows there will be delicious grass. A lot of it!
And Apache knows I’ll let her eat some…
A riding friend, Paula and her ‘foster’ mule Jasper, joined us. She doesn’t know her way around the trail system and wanted me to lead the way, which I gladly did. Apache loves to lead, too.
A few times Paula wanted to lead, though, because her foster mule needs more trail experience. Apache doesn’t mind hanging out in the back either. We both love to mozy along.
We did experience a trail blockage, though. The Back Country Horsemen don’t clear trails in the Sandias because there is already a hiking group who volunteers to work on keeping the trails clear of fallen trees and debris.
I think they missed this section of trail……..
Of course, perhaps they don’t mind since hikers are able to squeeze underneath no problem. Equines have a little tougher time of it. I dismounted and Apache was able to make it underneath…just barely. But Jasper is taller and is saddle horn, higher, so Paula had to bushwhack and find another way around the fallen tree.
And then just another 50 feet up the trail, we arrived at another trail blockage. No getting over that!
So we parked our equines and I went off trail to find a safe way for our equines to go around the blockage and get back onto the trail. Paula took pictures.
I picked up a bunch of branches and small logs and cleared a path for us to walk through.
And then we led our equines through, remounted and we were on our way again…..
Another trail obstacle we encountered are The Boulder Steps. No problem for Apache to climb up and over.
And Jasper made it up The Boulder Steps no problem, too.
And before long, we were up on top of the Sandia Crest above 10, 000 ft elevation, enjoying views to the west out of Albuquerque. The green ribbon below is the Rio Grande River and Bosque.
That green mountain side behind Paula turns bright yellow during Fall because it is covered in aspens. It’s gorgeous!
Apache didn’t want to leave, so I had to promise her we were going to another viewing area later on.
We did find another viewing area on the crest, and by this time we were hungry, so we tied up our equines for a rest. Just to the right of Apache is our viewing/lunch spot.
Apache is the best when it comes to being tied on the trail. She is so smart and knows the drill. She always takes advantage of her tie-time to take a nap and have a rest.
I packed Paula and I a delicious lunch of turkey sandwiches on chipotle bread with mini-bottles of wine.
Seriously. Could there be a better place to enjoy a picnic lunch?
Wine for a trail ride? Yep, because this is how we roll…..
(And yes…Life is Good)
After lunch, we remounted and I let Apache ride out to the edge of cliff so she could enjoy the views, too.
And then we headed back out onto the trail again.
Before long, we reached the Radio and Cell Towers up on top of Sandia Peak.
We have to ride past the area where all the towers are and they emit an odd humming noise. Apache is a brave girl, though and we just motor on past.
We have to ride across the road and parking lots of Sandia Peak’s Visitor Center. Apache is looking towards the right where the Gift Shop and Viewing area is located. They are above 10, 600 ft elevation.
Apache and I riding across the Heli-Pad on Sandia Peak.
Paula and Jasper getting ready to head towards the Kiwanis Cabin.
Apache apparently wasn’t interested in reading the information plaque. No, she was more interested in the green grass right below it.
The trail up towards Kiwanis Cabin is beautifully maintained because it’s very popular with visitors.
The trail is lined with a picturesque wooden fence and beautiful aspen trees.
It’s only a 20 minute ride from Sandia Peak Visitor Center to Kiwanis Cabin.
Apache was a little bit quivery when we made it to the top and stood on the edge of the cliff. But she really does love being up there.
Once she relaxed, she just stood there and enjoyed the vistas with me. Albuquerque down below us and the Manzano Mountains off in the distance.
A nice Hispanic man who didn’t speak a lick of English was willing to take our photo. He did a pretty good job. Thankfully, taking photos is universally common and interpreters aren’t required.
And Paula took a couple photos of Apache and I with her camera.
She just needs to adjust her settings so her photos have more pixels so the photos can be larger and clearer. But hey, at least I have some photos of me and my best friend standing on the cliff together. I sure do love that mare of mine.
After a while it was time to head back down……
Apache and I led the way….
The best thing about being out in front is that the view always changes……
On the way down we stopped several times to let our trail partners enjoy munching on grass.
They both seemed to really appreciate it. Apache, “Nom, nom, nom, are you sure we can’t live up here?”
The trail down is just magically beautiful, so we took our time……
There are also gorgeous views out towards the north and east, as we sometimes ride beside the twisting, curving, steep Crest Road.
We rode through several beautiful, green meadows……..
And beneath lovely groves of tall, shady ponderosas and other evergreens.
Always stopping in the meadows to let our trail partners have a snack……
While we sat and enjoyed the expansive vistas.
From here we could see the Jemez Mountains to the northwest and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, above Santa Fe, to the north.
I love this view most of all……between my mare’s ears.
Even though we were just a short distance away from the horse trailer, Apache just wanted for us to stop in this meadow and never leave. So green and full of delicious grass.
But the day was getting late and it was time to get back before it got dark.
But we will be back again. Riding in the Sandia Mountains is one of my favorite things to do, and I am so blessed that this beautiful place is located basically in my backyard.
Life is Good!
No comments :
Post a Comment