On my final day in Florida, my friend KD organized a ride at San Felasco State Park.
Now, let me just say that all of the places that KD took me to trail ride were gorgeous and very horse friendly. But San Felasco State Park really went above and beyond. And kind of blew my mind with it's horse friendly amenities.
As we were driving in, I took note of the hitching rails stationed in front of the restrooms.
Hitching rails set up around the picnic gazebos.
Equine Wash Stations
Huge grassy parking area for all sizes of horse trailers. It's not a stretch to say that 100 horse trailers could easily park there.
When we were there, there were at least 30 horse trailers parked in the parking area. Also, I must mention that, for me, parking on grass is such a crazy concept, coming from a desert state, where we don't even walk on grass for fear of damaging it, and all parking areas are dirt, gravel or asphalt.
KD brought her Appy mare, Dixie for me to ride that day, and I had to mount from a picnic table bench, as she is so much taller than my 14.2hh mare at home. And even taller than Ranger, who I am guessing is about 14.1hh. Thankfully, the park had picnic tables set up all around the edges of the parking area, beneath the shady trees.
Interestingly enough, San Felasco State Park is closed to all dogs. Only bikes and horses are permitted.
In addition, bikes were not allowed on horse trails, and horses were not allowed on bike trails, except at intersections, of course. Although hikers, bikers and horseback riders were all permitted to travel on the jeep roads. It was nice to have options.
Right off the bat, we saw deer alongside the trail.
The trails were very thickly wooded and shaded by tall trees.
We had about 8-10 riders and equines in our group. KD, riding behind me in the green shirt.
We kept seeing deer among the trees. Most didn't even stop to look at us.
Some just stood watching us as we rode past. Often they were almost invisible. Can you see the deer in this photo?
I was pleased that these trails had some real hills, not just speed bumps.
Stylin and Dixie riding side by side.
KD, her daughter, and Cathy riding behind Dixie and I.
There were a couple water crossings, too. To keep the creeks from getting too trampled, they funneled all the horseback riders through approved crossings, which tended to get a big boggy.
For the hikers and mountain bikers, there were bridge crossings.
Check out the blingy pink crystals on Dixie's beautiful headstall!
Our group stopped for lunch at a very nice equestrian picnic area. With hitching rails of course.
And picnic tables for the humans.
And more hitching rails. Notice Dixie's spotty butt and Stylin's painted butt.
We finished our lunch and got remounted. KD and her mare Stylin.
KD's daughter and Cathy.
Headed down the trail on Miss Dixie.
More deer!
Even the grassy trails were well manicured and mowed.
And we saw a couple of these fruit trees alongside the trail. I was told that the fruit is some kind of bitter orange and tastes horrible. I didn't bother trying one.
We rode beside a grassy hay field.
It was such a hot day, though, that we were grateful to get back underneath the trees again.
I loved riding at San Felasco State Park. And I enjoyed all of the amazing and special places that KD took me to ride. I loved riding Ranger and Dixie. They were such kind and gentle horses. And I loved meeting many of KD's horse buddies and her daughter, too. And I loved staying with KD and her husband at her house. They treated me like royalty and fed me well and provided a comfortable place for me to sleep. And I so appreciated KD hauling me all over northeast Florida to share some of her favorite trails with me. The trails were all wonderful and the weather was perfect, too.
Truly, there was nothing at all that I didn't enjoy about my Florida Horse Riding Adventure!
And I was very sad to leave.
But I hope someday to get back to Florida again to ride with my friends!






























No comments :
Post a Comment