Monday, April 18, 2016

ABQ Trail/ Fourth of July Canyon Ride and Work Project with BCHM

One summer day, our Back Country Horsemen Chapter planned a work project in the Manzano Mountains at Albuquerque Trail (ABQ Trail). The plan was to carry trimmers and loppers and clear overgrown, dead and low hanging branches from the trail until we arrived up onto the Crest Trail where we would lop and trim overgrown vegetation and weeds from the trail.

Apache waiting patiently at the trailhead beside my trailer.


Apache was wearing her new Cavallo hoof boots for the first time on a trail ride.
I think she was looking inside my tack room for cookies. haha!


 Heading out on the trail.

 
 It didn't take long before we were stopped by a fallen tree across the trail. So we hopped off our horses and tied them up to trees, and got to work.


This fallen tree we were able to push off the trail, with a lot of teamwork.
 

All that pushing required a snack.
 

We stopped off at the Fourth of July Canyon spring to let our horses enjoy a drink.


Then it was time to tie up the horses and get to work on the Crest Trail.

 

All ready to get loppin'!

 

Lots of lopping to do on this trail.


And trimming branches, too.



And getting down and dirty cutting the roots of the stubborn weeds and bushes that are threatening to overtake the trail.

 

Take that! You stubborn plants!

 

Of course, my usual happy-to-be-on-my-horse-out-in-nature selfie!


My horse was happy to take a nap when we stopped for lunch.


One of our members was celebrating a birthday, and we got to celebrate with her.
 

With cupcakes!
 

Our crew enjoying lunch (Minus me, because I'm usually behind the camera!)


The day could not have been more beautiful.

 

Almost back to the trailhead and a fallen tree blocked our trail, so I hopped off my horse and offered to clear it off the trail. That's me, digging out a handsaw from off our pack mule that day.

 

Apache and the rest of our crew waited patiently while I got to work.


Ta Da! I cleared the tree from off the trail! And I was grateful someone captured the fact that I actually do work on our work projects. haha!



Back at the trailer after a very successful BCHM Work Project day!
 

No comments :