Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Gila Camp-Out: Valle Tio Vinces, Day Two


After breakfast, everyone saddled up and we headed out to explore the trails.


The most noticeable thing I immediately noticed about this area was how rocky they were. And not just any rocks, but volcanic rock, which can be brutally damaging to horse's hooves.


I was grateful that Apache was wearing her Cavallo hoof boots, because the horses that were wearing steel shoes were struggling and tip toeing over those shards of sharp rock. At least Apache's front feet and soles were totally protected by thick rubber.


We rode up onto a ledge and then rode back down.


In large groups, my favorite place to be is way in the back.



At the bottom of the hill was a beautiful green meadow that traveled through a canyon.


There were hundreds of wild irises growing in the meadow, but we had missed their bloom time. I bet it was spectacular!


Someone suggested we take several group photos...first a group shot with all the women only.
Apache and I are on the far right.


And then a full group photo, minus the photographer. There were 8 of us, 5 gals and 3 guys. Apache and I are still over there on the far right.


We rode through the meadow until we crossed a tiny spring.


We let the horses have a drink of water, if they wanted it. Then we rode straight uphill and left the meadow behind.


Our ride leaders chose to follow an old forest service road to ride on, but I'm not a fan of road riding, especially when the road is covered in sharp gravel, and there is a pretty, green meadow just below the road. 


Apache and I were tempted to leave the group behind and make our own path through the meadows.


I know Apache...hopefully someone up ahead will suggest riding down there and off the road.


Hooray! And someone did!


Such a pretty ponderosa forest to meander through. Apache was so happy to be off the road, that she eagerly led the way.


My trail selfie, of course!


But we eventually left behind the meadows and rode up towards the top of the mountain. These forest service roads were actually quite nice, and not too rocky.


Up on the top of the mountain, the views south into the Gila Wilderness were stunning.


Apache and I enjoyed being surrounded by the forest beauty.


But after a few hours, we headed back to the campground. Apache usually rides back at the end of a ride, slower than when we start out. She always seems to enjoy being out in nature.


When we got back to the campground and put away our horses, it was time to prepare.....Dinner!!
Yep, we had grilled chicken and corn on the cob.


And more chicken and corn and beans, too!


Apache had hay and fresh grass for her dinner.


We humans had a boatload of delicious food for our potluck dinner!


And of course, we had wine and beer and cocktails, too!



And after dinner we gathered around the campfire for conversation and laughter.


Perfect way to end the day!



No comments :