Saturday, October 1, 2016

Juan Tomas OS Ride


My friend Susan invited me to ride with her in the Juan Tomas Open Space, so of course, I said yes. It's less than 15 minutes from my house and one of my favorite local places to ride. So, I met Susan at the trailhead.

Tacking up my Apache mare.

  
 Yep. That's my happy-to-be-out-on-the-beautiful trails, out-in-nature-on-my-wonderful-horse selfie!



Susan and her two Arabian geldings

 

Beautiful trails! Perfect weather!


My friend Susan, and her horses are compete in Endurance. Their preferred speed is 4-6 miles an hour. Apache's preferred speed is usually 2-3 miles an hour. So, we were behind them for most of the ride.    


 Thankfully, Apache and I could care less about keeping up with other riders and their horses. I've never been a fan of nose-to-tale riding either.


 Although we did catch up on occasion to let our horses grab some grass while Susan and I chatted and visited.


Other than that, though, it felt like Apache were riding alone and had the trail all to ourselves. It was very nice.


 We did see quite a few mountain bikers on the trails that day. And a few stopped and asked if they could pet our horses. Of course, we obliged.


Susan's black gelding is still young and green. She is planning to send him out to get saddle trained so she can start competing on him next year. But this year, he is getting exposed to trails by being ponied.

 

The trails were so lush and green!

 

 We rode for about 2 hours and had a great day!






No comments :