Back in March, my local BCHM Chapter hosted a Training Trail Ride at Cerrillos Hills State Park.
I hauled my mare to the trailhead, saddled up and prepared to head on down the trail.
We had a great turn-out, too!
In reality, we actually headed uphill on the trail! Apache was eager to go, so we started off farther up in the group.
But it didn't take too long for Apache to find her place towards the back of the group as usual.
There are many hills in Cerrillos Hills State Park, so it's a great place to get your horse legged up after having most of the winter off.
Trail Selfie!
Just moseying downhill.
We had a couple of young tykes on our ride, too.
The trails switchback a lot as they ascend and descend.
At the top of hills, you are rewarded with amazing views in most directions.
I love my Apache mare! She and I love to take in the vistas!
At the top of one hill, we all stopped to rest and enjoy the views, and I took the opportunity to take some photos.
There are many old mines in Cerrillos State Park. Each one has a placard with information on what was actually mined from that location. You can also get a birds eye view from above, if you don't mind walking over a bridge or viewing platform.
The views of the terrain, with the round junipers dotting the hillsides, are beautiful and uniquely New Mexican.
My friend and her Arab mare were bringing up the rear.
We even stopped for lunch during our ride. I joined my friends on a log.
One of the awesome benefits of riding far behind a group and not nose-to-tail, is being able to have a unique and vast perspective of the entire scenery to photograph.
Due to the undulating terrain, I was even able to capture everyone, except myself and my friend Gin who was bringing up the rear, in one photo.
We rode for about 2 1/2 hours and had a great time.
Apache tied up to my truck at the end of the ride.
Life is Good!
No comments :
Post a Comment