In early April, a friend invited me to join her as her guest for 4 days sat Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch in the Gila Wilderness. I eagerly accepted her invitation and enjoyed several days of riding and exploring the incredibly beautiful scenery in the Gila. (More on that trip in a future post)
The day after I returned from the Gila, I walked up to the barn and noticed that Apache's eye was swollen and weepy.
I immediately made an appt. for Apache to get examined by my Vet.
Upon examination, my Vet could see that Apache had recently injured her eye, probably while I was away from home at the guest ranch. The Vet suspected that a sharp object, like a piece of fence wire, branch,or even a stiff piece of hay could have punctured her eye.
Apache's eye was definitely painful, but she was very cooperative and stayed calm.
Me, on the other hand, was a different story.
My Vet assured me that the chance was good that her eye would heal up with treatment, but she would probably have a lot of scar tissue that would affect her vision.
He stained her eye with a special green dye and shone a special light to show the damaged cornea.
The Vet started us off with several topical eye ointments and serum to apply at least 3-5 times a day.
And thus we began our journey into the heartbreaking nightmare of equine eye injuries.
To Be Continued.......


No comments :
Post a Comment