Wednesday, February 28, 2007

And another chapter in this phase of our lives.....

I need to share something that is heavy on my heart right now, too.
We are still battling with Liberty University, their insurance companies and their shark-like attorneys 2 years after John, Jackson & Jeremiah were in a vehicle hit from behind by someone from Liberty, and forced into the path of an 18 wheeler.
We have all suffered horribly, Jackson with broken bones, scarring. Jeremiah with facial scarring and a brain injury. John with a TBI, a ripped elbow tendon, blood clots, brain surgery, side effects and so much more. It's been a hell to live through and Liberty refuses to take responsibility and pay our medical bills and pain and suffering.

Liberty and their 'team' have wasted thousands of dollars trying to prove that we are faking everything or somehow caused the accident, even though it's a fact that John was stopped and then was hit hard and fast from behind.

The Liberty Defense team first tried to blame John for unsafe driving (that failed), they then tried to insist that John was not working for Liberty University, claiming an Agency law, which was thrown out by the judge, when it was proven that John was being paid by Liberty University as their Head Lacrosse Coach. Jerry Falwell, even invited John to speak at Thomas Road Baptist Church and introduced him as Liberty's Lacrosee Coach!

Then the Defense attacked Jackson and Jeremiah and accused them of being disruptive an causing the accident(that was unproven), then they tried to attack my character and John's character saying we weren't good parents anyway and were somehow irresponsible in planning the trip and letting our children go along. (That was also thrown out the window)

They have interviewed all sorts of people in our pasts, including my children's kindergarten and 1st grade teachers, along with medical people. They have wasted our time by making us travel to SC several times promising to settle the case with us, but then playing games and not offering us enough to pay our medical bills, pain and suffering and legal council.

John had to go through arm surgery, brain surgery, brain scans, months of lost wages, a loss of good job, a change in living arrangements and all the awful side effects of his TBI.
Jeremiah had to go through yet another surgery to remove a fairly large piece of glass that the hospital in Alabama failed to remove while he was there in March 2005.
And he struggles with his memory and other issues related to the accident, on a daily basis. And he is still haunted by the accident every time he looks into the mirror and sees his horribly scarred face.

They claim that Jeremiah and John are faking it. I only wish they were.

When our attorneys recently interviewed Jerry Falwell, he spat angrily at our attorneys and claimed we were trying to "Rape" his University! This from someone who wasn't even aware that John and our sons were seriously injured and still suffering.
This from the man that claims that he "takes care of his own", but didn't bother to help us after the accident. Didn't offer my family a way to get home from the hospital in Alabama. He left us stranded there, though he made sure all of the lacrosse players were given transportation home. Didn't send a get well card or flowers, though we received them from Universities and many strangers all over the country. This from the man that my husband respected during 4 years of college.....


Anyway, what happened yesterday shouldn't have surprised me, but it did make me angry. The Defense interviewed my sons elem. teachers last week, trying to prove that the accident didn't cause Jeremiah's brain injury and that he was already struggling with intelligence-deficit before the accident. They quickly discovered that before the accident, my sons were smart, healthy and well liked.

So, soon after that failed interview didn't turn up what they were hoping for, they decided that Jeremiah's brain injury side effects must be caused by HOMESCHOOLING!

TADA! Attack the Homechooling Family!

So Liberty's team wrote to our attorneys asking for proof that I am teaching my children 'properly' and that I am qualified to teach. They wanted to see proof of all of our academic records for the past 3 years. Including associations that regulated us or basically told us what to teach.

At first my brain went into a frenzy, but then after spending some time in prayer, God placed it in my heart and mind and I knew what to write, and He filled me with a passion. I spent 2 hours last night gathering up all the past information from what we do each day, each month, where we go, what my children experience in their own learning environment. The amazing and full life that we share together.
I provided proof that I am indeed 'qualified' to teach my children (thank you State Homeschool laws and HSLDA having it so easy to access). And I shared all of the support groups we have been involved with as well. And so much much more.

When I re-read it even I was impressed. No public schooled child ever has all of the opportunities to enrich their minds, that we experience every day. No child sitting in a desk for 6+ hours has a better academic and varied life 'resume' filled with a vast array of educational opportunities, than our homeschooled children.

Our attorneys seemed very excited by what I sent them and feel confidant that it will dismiss the Defense's argument/false claim.

How dare they attack our legal choice to educate our children at home. Would they have done the same to us had our children been public schooled?
No, they wouldn't claim the public school system has damaged our children. No, instead they attack the homeschoolers and say that we are ruining our children's lives.

I wish they had been standing beside me, in fear, at Holliday Park last week, and experienced the violence of those public schooled teenagers.....

Whenever I have watched court shows on TV and seen all the underhanded stuff they do to try to get out of being responsible, I just thought it was hype. Now, I know it isn't.
That old ritual of "Swearing on the bible to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God" is such a joke. The only way to win a court case when you are at fault, is to lie, cheat, and be sneaky, make up stories and be underhanded.

Through this all we will trust in the Lord. In the end, all sinners must answer to God. I have faith that this is true. I pray that Liberty University, their insurance company, Jerry Falwell, and their Defense Attorneys are ready for that day.

1 comment :

Michelle said...

Now that the story is unfolding through your entries, I am getting a glimpse of the nightmare your family has been living and it reminds me of something you said in a recent post, along the lines of "If what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I must be one of the strongest women alive!" I agree, you must be!!! And I praise your faith in God through a time that would test anyone's faith, made all the more trying because you are dealing with other "Christians." Make no mistake, Jerry Falwell is clearly taking the Lord's name in vain by calling himself a Christian and then acting in this way!