Friday, November 23, 2007

Llama Snow

We've got a cold spell that blew in last night that threatens to dump between 4-9" of snow on our area in the next 3 days. At the moment that our Thanksgiving dinner was ready to eat, the first snow granules fell, followed by a temp. drop to 20 degrees and more snow flurries.
I prepared our fish pond by leaving the fountain pump running and covering with a metal grid to keep the snow from chilling the pond even further. When I woke up this morning the pond had a thick layer of ice on it. I'd read that by keeping the pump fountain running, and therefore, the water moving, that the water wouldn't freeze.
So far so good.
And the llamas' water buckets had a thin layer of ice on them this morning, too. So I went up later and switched on the water buckets' built-in heaters, which keeps the water from freezing. Another piece of mind in taking care of our critters needs.

I went up and checked on the llamas before I went to bed, and they both had made a cozy area to kush in. Their water buckets were ice-free, and both of them were busily munching hay. I gave them both a treat of grain and then hung out with them for a while making sure they were both comfortable and warm.

Catlinite always reaches over and eats Cataleya's hay. His hay bin is full of hay. I guess he thinks the 'hay is always greener on the other side'.Cataleya looking all perky with her light dusting of snow. The insulating qualities of a llama's fiber really impresses me. The snow and frost don't even melt on her wool, and when I reach down into her wool, she is toasty warm. I am so looking forward to shearing her in the Spring and learning how to spin and knit with her wool!As I was walking up to the llamas barn, Cataleya walked up to greet me. Pretty girl!I love how the camera made Cataleya's eyes appear lavender. She is such a beautiful llama. I really enjoy looking at her. And tonight, I leaned in toward her and she leaned into me and gave me a soft llama kiss! I felt very honored and special.As I was getting ready to walk back to the house, both llamas sat, chewing their cud while kushing on the dry straw.

No comments :