Monday, December 17, 2007

Casa Pollo...so Close!

We've had a couple of warmer, almost balmy days (in the 30's and 40's)to get caught up on completing the chicken house and coop. The weather was quite comfortable and sunny during the day, but as soon as that sun dropped behind the mountains...BRRR, the temps dropped to a bone chilling 18-25 degrees and with the snow still on the ground, the ice-box effect was in play, too.

And then today I did even more work on the fencing while John was at work. I'm actually finished with the fencing, except for wiring the middle section where the top and bottom fence panels meet. Then I'll add the bird netting to the top. And when John and the boys pick up the railroad ties I'll line them along the fence to keep out predators.

John will make some door panels for the Access door, Chicken Entry, and trim out the doors for the nest boxes. And then I'll come along and add hinges and latches.
And then we'll only need to Add Chickens (and do not stir) Yay!

Front view of chicken house. John built the ramp to the Chicken Entry.
I created this ventilation panel, which will be wire in the summer and have a removable plexiglass window cover for winter.
A photo looking in through the Access door at the roosts.
A photo looking at the nest boxes from inside the chicken house. I found this wood structure, which was about 4 levels high, in a dumpster at a Movie Filming Location. They are very solid and heavy.
A photo from the outside looking at the nest box door openings. I want to be able to access the eggs without having to go inside the coop. It will be easier (and cleaner) for the kids to check the nest boxes every day for eggs, too!

A photo looking westward from our fruit orchard into the chicken coop.
Here you can see how I extended the fencing about 12" and then buried it under the heavy clay-like dirt. We'll also be laying railroad ties over this dirt to make it difficult for coyotes and stray dogs to bury underneath.
Jenna pretending to be a chicken. Our new puppy, Zuni running around behind her, too.
Jenna hugging our new German Shepherd puppy, Zuni.
Jenna pretending to be locked in behind the coop gate.

No comments :