Baby Doll is a well trained and sensitive horse, so I think I expect her to teach me and/or just be patient while I mess up. She is very patient, but yesterday I think she was trying to tell me something and was getting frustrated that I wasn't getting it.
In addition I was riding in a saddle in the arena and I hadn't done any ground work with her in the round pen first before saddling up. I've ridden Baby Doll on a saddle in the round pen and felt pretty good, but I really prefer to ride her bareback. Lorie doesn't have Baby Doll wear a bit for lessons, so her mouth stays soft, which is good, because Baby Doll is very responsive with a super light touch. I only need to barely touch the reins with my finger to get her to go the way I want, and I never need to use my feet into her sides at all. A cluck or two and we're on our way.
This was so different than the Appendix Q. Horse/T. bred horse I later rode after I finished my lesson with Baby Doll. He is a trail horse on a dude ranch and was there at Lorie's for remedial work. All he wanted to do was plod along, and even that was hard to do. We all took turns on him, Lorie and another gal, and me. The one gal was even wearing mild spurs. We all had to give him some kicks to make him even walk. But he was 'iron-sided' and basically ignored them. He is a neck rein horse, which was a bit different for me to ride that way, but we worked pretty well together a few rounds around the arena, but he acted barn-sour and whenever we got close to the gate he tugged to go thet way.
I have a feeling that he was a line-horse ridden by vacationers with hard hands and feet and he just gave up doing anything other than following the tail in front of him.
Such a stark contrast between that horse and my Baby Doll!
And today while riding bareback and bitless on Baby Doll in the round pen, I realized and was reminded what I was doing wrong yesterday. On Baby Doll's left side, she turns no matter what however she is asked. But on her right side, she balks if too much pressure is used. All that is required is a whisper light finger tap on the reins to get her to turn right. What an epiphany!!
Today was so much more enjoyable. And even in the round pen doing ground work, Baby Doll minded me almost every time I had her change direction or speed. And when I invited her into the middle with me, she came right up and walked by my side and stopped when I stopped. It really felt good to be communicating so easily with my horse.
Lorie took some great pictures of me and my horse today.



5 comments :
Your 'baby doll' is beautiful and you look good on her!
Thanks for visiting my blog. When I heard 'Baby Doll" I thought it sounded familiar when it comes to horses...
Baby Doll is so beautiful! I catch my breath every time that side picture of her comes up on your blog. You two look great together. And I'm totally living vicariously through you as you take your lessons and learn how to better communicate with her. sigh. Great pictures!
Sounds like you found the right horse for you this time. That is so cool. Congrats! And keep up the good work. An epiphany that quickly is well done!!
Love the pictures and your site. Good work! Baby Doll is beautiful.
Thanks for stopping by Gudl! Yes, she is pretty, isn't she? When I was looking out for a horse, color was not really important to me. I just wanted a very well trained horse horse with a good mind, body and spirit. Quite honestly, if those requirements had been met, I'd have bought even the ugliest colored horse. Baby Doll is just the icing on the cake!
Thanks for all your kind words, farmgirl. Feel free to stop in and live vicariously through me (until you have your own horse one day, that is! hehe). I did (and still do) the same thing through other's blogs. Best thing is that I've learned so very much this way.
Rising Rainbow, I appreciate you saying that, because you've been following along from the beginning of my blog horse journey. Yes, Baby Doll seems to be "The One". I'm appreciating the horse/owner relationship so much because it makes me look deeper into my own actions through the reactions of my horse. I'm amazed at how flustered I get when I'm not "In-The-Now" and truly paying attention while I'm with my horse.
Thanks GA Farm girl!!
Post a Comment