The chickens always provide amusement and entertainment.......and yesterday I even had a 'lap dancer'! ~giggle~
My least favorite chicken breed, the brown leghorns, always stay close to me and seem curious as I pet and hold the other chickens, but when I try to reach out or pick up the leghorns, they scatter and move away.
So, it greatly surprised me, while I was petting and holding a Speckled Sussex on my lap (which just so happens to be our favorite chickens), that one of the brown leghorns jumped right up onto my lap, too!!!!
This chicken stood up there for at least 5-6 minutes, checking out my tea cup, it's unique vantage point over the coop, and me.
This behavior really amused me and tickled me very much. What a fun way to start a brand new day!
"Hello there!" Here you can see that I'm still holding the Speckled Sussex AND trying to take a photo, too. haha

Awkward position to take a photo. You can see our german shepherd puppy, Zuni in the background.

"What! You didn't save me any tea?!"

"Ok, so when do I get paid for my lap visit?" "You sure do make a mighty fine perch, lady!"
6 comments :
That last photo is a crack up. What a pretty chicken. My least social chicken jumped on my arm 2 different times. I think she was aiming for my head but I could tell what she was up to and stuck my arm out just in time. Go figure.
We are trying to decide on chicken breeds so I love hearing what everyone's favorites are. We want friendly chickens.
:-) I got to read this post with my morning coffee today and wished that I were having it with my own hens! Of course, if I were, I'd be bundled in my parka and mittens with ice covering everything around me and not at all in the sunshine like you are.
I notice the clever use of railroad ties and heavy rock around the perimeter of your hen pen...did you bury the wire from the fence into the ground a bit, as additional protection from predators, or does the wood and rock do the job?
sugarcreekstuff, thanks for the response. I'm not excatly sure what that one was doing on my lap....either way I kept my fingers and eyeballs out-of-reach! haha
Hi Christy, thanks for visiting. If you want friendly, you can't go wrong with Speckled Sussex. And if you hand-feed and socialize from a young age, from my own experience, the barred rock and rhode island reds are a great choice, too. Beware of the leghorns, though.
Hi Farmgirl, haha! It may look warm, but the windchill here is awful. We actually got snow yesterday. But it melted by afternoon.
Yes, we buried the wire fence about 5-6" just about the entire way around. We have very rock soil here, so there were a few places that I could only bury about 3" deep. So, using the railroad ties, boulders and rocks were extra protection.
We also have a motion sensor set up on the chicken coop. It's sort of like Ft. Knox! haha!
With all the birds of prey, stray dogs, and coyotes around our mountains, I refuse to give them our chickens to eat.
I figure after all we've spent on them with food and shelter (not counting time), our chickens are worth at least $40-50 each!
Oh you're killing me. You're so funny. You just "happened" to have a camera with you when the chicken jumped in your lap. Just like I did when Louie my angora buck jumped in mine. We're pathetic! And I'm totally jealous that your chickens let you cuddle them, the most I get is my toenail polish pecked, not quite as fun. But, we are probably going to eat these girls in a couple years so maybe a lack of cuddling is a good thing afterall.
dv, See what I meant when I posted on your blog about your goat in your lap??! haha
I think maybe our chickens are so tame because they were handfed and handled ALOT as chicks. Alot by me and even more by my 3 kids. They adore my daughter. If they even hear her voice they all go running trying to find out where she is.
Post a Comment