We often see bike riders who choose to ride in the mountains. They must love the challenge of the hills and rugged terrain, and of course, the beauty and fresh air.
Our county road is very similar to a roller coaster with many ups and downs and it reminds me of some of my fondest memories when I used to be a serious bike rider and entered bike tours, races and challenges back when I lived in Maryland, over 16 years ago.
I rarely missed a weekend when I could pull out my bike and ride the trails. My favorite was the Rails-To-Trails corridor that ran from Annapolis, MD northward to Baltimore, Md. It was always so exhilarating for me and so enjoyable, and such a great way to keep-in-shape, too.
My fondest bike challenge/race was held in northern Maryland, and was a mix between a bike tour and a wine festival. What a treat to work hard at completing a race and then be greeted with a glass to fill and refill with various wines afterwards!
For this particular bike tour, I had challenged myself to do the entire 10 miles of 'gently rolling hills' along the beautiful rural countryside. But after the first 3 miles, I was puffing and huffing and contemplating walking my bike up the 'gentle rolling hills' hah! Whoever wrote 'gentle rolling hills' as a description, must have snuck into the wine too early and gotten drunk! haha
So, instead of doing the 10 miles, I only completed five, so I was a little let down, but it was still a memorable ride, and the wine tasting was quite good afterwards....quite good.
So, what motivation do these folks have? (Click pics for larger views)


These photos were all taken from our bedroom balcony, facing East.
3 comments :
We have a 5.1 mile route (rolling hills and doozie ones too) that the kids and I ride 3 days per week in the summer. Last summer we logged over 130 miles. We comitted to doing it and encouraged each other when we didn't feel like doing it. It was great because it's something we do together and I felt good having them exercise in between gamecube playing. Didn't do my keester any harm either.
My hubby is an avid mountain biker. He's done Moab a couple times and then did a "hut to hut" trip from Moab to Telluride. I personally can't do the bike thing. I don't get why anyone would want their thighs and lungs to be on fire, but it's the nature of the beast. Lee says it's about completing something you set your mind to. Pain overcomes my need to complete things. ;)
sugarcreekstuff! whooohee! Way to go loggin all those uphill and downhill miles.
CeeCee,
I think you meant to say "My need to complete things, overcomes pain.
But I completely agree with your hubby.
I, too used to follow that 'mantra' when I was younger. Now I tend to be a little more gentle and forgiving with myself.
Post a Comment