Thursday, April 10, 2008

Barn Fun

The other day, I spent some time up in the barn hanging out with the critters. For me, my time in the barn is my 'calming-time', my place to recharge and refocus. When I sometimes get too overwhelmed with all of my responsibilities, when the noise level gets too high, when the kids drive me batty, or when life seems to be spinning too fast.....I come to the barn to jump off and into peace and calm and simpleness...and oftentimes laughter.

I had brought Moon Pie's bottle in hopes that the sheep would learn a thing or two and get serious about taking a bottle. So far, they just mouth it or nibble the nipple, not actually sucking. The are eating and drinking well, but I was hoping to bottlefeed these two lambs, in hopes that they'd be as tame and social as Moon Pie and Pepper are. I'll try a few more times, but if they don't end up taking the bottle that's fine, too. Moon Pie is keeping me very busy right now. hehe
He takes at least two bottles a day, eagerly, too, I might add. He's so funny how urgently he sucks on the bottle. The kids like to feed him, too. And love to giggle at the way his tail wiggles when he's happily drinking hs bottle. For that matter, Moon Pie is an easy goat to figure out. He seems to be happy most of the time, because he is either wagging his tail or doing 'goat-flips' wherever we are.
Here is one of his goat flips after he finished his bottle.
He likes my 'milking stool'....alot. He hops up and jumps down over and over.
He's so funny how he kicks up his heels and does a half-twist as he jumps.
He was very happy to be on top of the alfalfa bales.
Then he got tired. He wanted to jump into my lap, as usual, for a nap, but I was busy doing other 'barn stuff', so he chose his second favroite place.
ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.....
Jenna joined me in the barn for a bit. She likes to hand-feed all of the critters treats or bits of hay. She has a real 'way' with animals, and all of our critters are very comfortable with her around.
Meanwhile, out in the paddock, the angora goats were having a fun time playing on the goat playground. Luna was the queen of the 'fort' this time....She's such a sweet girl with me, but can be really horrible and bossy with the other goats. I love her anyway. She has a special place in my heart.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Moon Pies personality is great! I think this breed is great to work with. They are so mellow when it's time to be mellow and then they are energetic when it's time to let loose too:) Glad you got some slow down time in the barn:) Have a good day

Peggy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I have enjoyed visiting and reading your posts too! Moon Pie is adorable and I will be back!!

sugarcreekstuff said...

That little moon pie is just so juicy. Jenna too! I remember my cousins having lambs, and I couldn't believe how hard they tugged that bottle. Being grown and nursing my own babies, I am thankful I wasn't a mama sheep.

Carla said...

(chanting) "I can't have goats, I can't have goats, I can't have goats...)
Hopefully your new babies will figure out that the bottle holds yummy stuff. Maybe buy a pint of actual goat milk and then they'll take it??

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for stopping by Sea2Shore,
I agree. I had no idea I'd fall so hard for the little Nigies. They seem more like affectionate, mischievious dogs (with hooves) than goats.

Hi Peggy,
Thanks to you for stopping by. Please come back and visit again soon.

hahaha, sugarcreekstuff! I agree. Moon Pie has also started up a cute, but annoying habit of rubbing and butting his head and nibbling my pants or socks, while I am warming up his bottle. He gets so excited and is so bossy about it. I'm glad he doesn't have horns!

Hi Ceecee,
Why can't you have goats???
Every farm should have a couple goats, ya know! hehe

Well, the sheep have sheep milk replacer, which is basically dried sheep milk powder that I reconstitute with water.

And Moon Pie either drinks goats milk that I buy for him, or whole cows milk and half and half.