Isn't he gorgeous?

About a week ago, a handsome striped cat showed up on our property. We'd see him lurking around at the edges of the perimeter of our house. I caught him trying to hunt the birds at my feeders, and I shooshed him away. He didn't run away, though, just sadly mewed. And for the past several days, we've been feeding him and giving him lots of attention. He was mostly skin and bones and very hungry, but he is such a sweet, loving cat and doesn't mind the kids picking him up or my 5 yr old daughter holding him like a baby.
Unfortunately he has already tried to kill and eat a lizard, but with our intervention and rescue, the poor lizard escaped with only the loss of it's tail.
He's also been lingering over our koi pond, too, but I'm hoping it's just because he's thirsty. I keep hoping that with a constant supply of food, his hunting instincts will lessen a bit. I've never had outdoor cats, only indoor, so I have no idea, but I don't want to give up my bird feeder watching and also don't want to supply a free birdie buffet for our new cat either.
The kids decided to name him Indiana Jones. I thought 'Indie' would be a good nickname, but the kids chose 'Jones' instead.

This kitty seems to like our goat, Moon Pie, too. In fact they both really like each other and are usually laying down together or rubbing heads.
7 comments :
He's beautiful. How lucky you are that he chose to live with you!
I love that your family is a collector of strays. Jones needed a home and knew just what family to go to.
You might try feeding him in the barn and getting him used to sleeping there. Barn cats can be helpful in keeping the rodent population down.
Jones is indeed a handsome fella! Hope it all works out.
He is gorgeous! My you all are collecting animals quickly. It seems like so much fun! How are the sheep adapting? Are they still friendly? We've had so much fun bottle feeding 3 lambs everyday this week.
Hi Seasons, I agree, thank you! We usually end up with the nicest critters that come to live with us.
sugarcreekstuff, thanks. I do have a soft spot for unwanted and unloved animals. All critters deserve a chance to have a happy life with good food, shelter, care, and love. Funny how this guy just showed up, though.
cdees, Funny you mention that, because I was telling my husband about a month ago, how nice it might be to have a barn cat or two to control rodents. And then this guy shows up.
Hard part about training Jones to be a barn cat, though, is that the barn is at the far end of our 3 acre property, up the hill. And Jones is a serious people cat. And he adores my kids and bieng close to our house. I don't know how I'm going to convince him that barn living is a great thing.
Thanks Rural writer! Me, too.
Hi Christy,
Tell me about it. What's strange about Jones showing up here is that I had talked about having a barn cat about a month ago, but didn't think it would work out because we have many packs of coyotes up here, along with large owls and eagles, hawks, etc.
But this guy has survived so far, so maybe he has what it takes to live in a barn on a ranch? Hope so.
The sheep were skittish and nervous when they arrived, not being used to handling. They are slowly coming around, but still dont' like being handled. They will come up close though, and even lay down nearby, but reach for them, and they take off.
I love seeing the pics of the lambs and Logan on your blog.
See? The word is out to all homeless animals that your place is THE place to be! lol
Love Jones' tail! I don't think I've ever seen a multi-colored tail like that on a cat before.
I think it's great that Moon Pie and he like each other so much.
Post a Comment