Friday, May 23, 2008

Horse Naps

I've been spending alot more time with Baby Doll lately. Over the weekend my neighbor and I went riding together, she on her Appy, Scout, and me on her Arabian, Nadia. We rode all around the dirt and gravel roads in our area for several hours.
It's the longest I've ridden a horse for years. And while up on the horse, I felt like I could have stayed up there all day. But once off, it was another story! hehe Heating pads and Ibuprofen are my friends.
John noticed my crippled stiffness and said he understood why I was drinking a glass of wine. He surmised that must have been why cowboys, having been riding and roping doggies all day long, drank themselves drunk each night.

Well after I rode Nadia for several hours, we came back and saddled up Baby Doll. We ran her around the arena first, though, to get out any 'spit and vinegar'. That girl can run! She's a vision of speed and beauty and I never get tired of watching her.

Valerie, my neighbor friend, rode Baby Doll for a little bit and then I climbed up. I immediatly noticed what a difference in size Baby Doll is from Nadia. Whew! It was like climbing a small hill and then forging up a big mountain.

Valerie has a large log for jumping over in her arena and I had some trouble at first getting Baby Doll to step over. She would veer to the right or left, or just step over a corner of the log. So, I just kept asking Baby Doll to do step over and directed her to go straight and she finally followed through. I was so escatic!
We crossed over that log a few more times quickly and easily and I could feel the satisfaction from Baby Doll when I patted her and gave her kudos.
I rode her around the arena for another 30 mins and enjoyed how responsive and quiet she was. I truly didn't want to dismount and would have stayed up there all night, if I hadn't been so sleepy...and sore!

Yesterday, after our little sleet and snowstorm, the sun came out and I decided to take Baby Doll into the round pen, for the first time, and longe her a bit. She easily longes without a line and will move into her paces with just a simple cluck or kiss. She seemed to enjoy our little impromptu longe session and got excited when my daughter joined her around the outside of the pen.
When Baby Doll is in the round pen she acts like a pocket-pony and wants to stand beside me and rest her head on my shoulder and gently nuzzle up. I love hugging onto her neck and breathing in that magical horsey smell and stroking that soft, warm fur.

After our longe and cuddle session, I walked her back up into the larger paddock and let her browse for grass. At first she just wanted to stay beside me and be petted and I take advantage of any moment when she wants me around. She sometimes acts a little moody and doesn't want to be messed around with, though she is never cross about it. She just wants her space and as a Mom of 3 children, I can respect that. haha

A little later, I looked out the window and saw Baby Doll napping in the paddock. (That's our German Shepherd, Zuni in the front)
This was a little odd because she usually naps near our neighbor's horses, along the fence line. But here she was down close to the house. And she seemed to be looking at the round pen, thinking deep horsey thoughts.
Then I watched my pretty horse fold herself up and lay down for a little nap. She looked so peaceful and relaxed out there.
It made me feel good knowing that she seems to have finally settled in here and that she feels confidant and safe enough to let her guard down and rest. We've had Baby Doll for 3 months and we seem to be building a relationship slowly.

It wasn't love at first sight when I saw her and I haven't let her totally into my heart yet. But the more time we spend together the more I'm feeling a tenderness and bond towards her and, most importantly, a trust building. When Baby Doll heard my John's truck leaving the lane, she perked right up to watch. She has a real fondness for John and knows the sound of his truck. When she hears it she usually prances around and whinnies out to him.

5 comments :

Danni said...

I have to tell you...Baby Doll is one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen. And I love reading your descriptive writing on how it is to be around her and ride her.

Pony Girl said...

It was nice to read about your rides and the time you have spent lately with Baby Doll. She has very flashy markings. I did not realize you have only had her for 3months. I think it takes a long time to get to know a horse. I have been riding my gelding for a little over a year, and our relationship has grown in leaps and bounds just in the past few months. My mom said a trainer once told her it can take up to a year for a horse to really bond with it's person. Give it time, it sounds as if you are well on your way!

Anonymous said...

Three months has passed quickly. She is beautiful. I enjoy reading about her and the great progress you're making. She's made a lot in just the last two weeks. Great job with her!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great riding session:) She is a gorgeous girl!

Carla said...

I do love when they finally feel content and safe enough to nap. She must feel really safe, as single horses hardly ever lay down---no one to keep watch.
You're moving right along with her. Congratulations!