I've been putting off this process because I've heard mostly negative things about other folks who've tried to integrate their new chicks in with their older chickens. There is supposed to be scuffles, disagreements over rank, and sometimes even bloodshed.
I tend to be a worrier anyway, so I was dreading the possible chaos and conflict.
Last weekend, I placed a large cage inside the chicken coop and within it I tucked all 4 chicks...and then watched the reactions of my older girls.
I carried them out in a 'travel-size' cage from their 'large brooder cage' in the garage before putting them into the large wire cage. My girl's were curious, but not sure what to do about it.

The arched their necks for a closer view, but my smart girls felt it wiser to stay in the shade on such a hot day.

The most important observation from my girls, was that these new chicks seemed to have some pretty good food to eat in there.

"What do you think it is? No, not the little chickens. The food, silly!" "Sure looks and smells tasty whatever it is....reminds me of the food I ate as a baby"

"They sure are odd-looking chickens, but they can't be all that bad with a dish full of food like that. Think they'll let us share it?"

"Hello little fuzzy thing. We'd be very grateful if you'd share some of that tasty mash you've got there. What's in it for you, you ask? Well, we'd be happy to welcome you into our happy little flock, of course."

"My what big claws, you have"....."My what a big beak you have"

Everyone convened to discuss the integration of the 4 odd-looking chicks and the delicious bargaining chip (the chick mash) placed on the coop floor. A few voters were busy laying eggs, so a final decision must wait.

Please check back for the next episode of "As the Coop Turns".
To be Continued..........
6 comments :
LOL!! That is hilarious!! Cannot wait for the next episode!! :)
I wish you great luck integrating your flock. My initial try at integrating my two "boarding" chickens went well, but as the days went by, it became obvious that it wasn't going well. I would find the two I was babysitting on top of the nest box. I was as though the other chickens wouldn't let them set foot on the floor of the coop or share the very large chicken run.
Now, I have a fence across the center of my run. My girls on one side, the boarders on the other.
I think if the two hens belonged to me, I'd work harder at it. I know it can work. Because they don't, I don't really feel like I can risk their life and limb just to integrate them.
It can work, people do it every day and have done so for centuries.
Such drama. Great episode title, "As the Coop Turns." I didn't realize there was such excitement in the world of chickens.
I look forward to more.
Dan
I had no idea that chickens would not welcome new chickens into their roost!! That is so neat!! And I love them all under the tree, trying hard not to be interested!! LOL!! You have an amazing coup!! I need one of those in my backyard!!!
Oh my, such drama. I sure hope it works out for them. Can't we all just get along? Looking forward to the next installment.
How did I miss this unfolding drama??
Good luck getting all these to get along...it will happen.
Post a Comment