We often stumble upon some exciting 'finds'.
Can you see it?

How about now?(Click photo for larger view)

Can you see it now?

Yes! A baby Cotton Tail bunny waiting for it's Mama to come back for it.

The southwest never ceases to amaze me with it's diversity of plants. Here at 7,000 ft elevation we seem to have an abundance of unique wild plants and flowers. (Don't ask me what this is, but if you enjoy botany, please share what you know. Thanks!)

I love these brightly colored, low growing purple flowers. They grow wild along our driveway and give such a pretty color-pop.

A close-up of the same flowers.

This plant is just bizarre and evil-looking, covered in sharp spines.

A close-up of the top of the plant and the insects that call it home.

Wouldn't these flowers create beautiful Tessellations?

It's been so terribly dry here so any green grass is a welcome sight. I love how this grass waves and rustles when the wind blows.
10 comments :
Aww...it's baby Thumper! It took me a couple of photos to see it. I can't believe it sat there while you got close. It must have been practicing the bunny freeze dance it's mama taught it.
Glad you enjoy the walks, as a teacher, I can totally appreciate the value of discovering, exploring, and appreciating nature! Maybe I will initiate some "listening walks" on the playground next year!
The bizarre and evil looking plant with the spines? Thistle. And horses love to eat it. Go figure.
Hi there,
thanks for your friendly visits on my blog!
I had to look three times before I saw the bunny! How cute it is.
I like to explore the nature around me, too, as you know. Your plants and flowers are very different from ours, but also very beautiful.
Have a nice day in 'twinville' ;-)
You and your Jenna sound like me and my DD. We are soul mates when it comes to seeing things outdoors. I have had to force myself to to look up sometimes, as my eyes are always on the ground or just at waist height. I can't believe you saw that bunny AND that it stayed long enough for you to take its picture. Great shot!
Your purple flower is a verbena. Your spiky plant is a thistle of some sort.
Twin, beautiful pictures and I love the idea of the listening walk with your daughter. It took the larger picture for me to see the bunny.
I looked them up and I believe the flowers are Long Leaved Phlox along your driveway.
Regards,
Dan
Twinn, Great pictures and I love the idea of a listening walk with your daughter. It took the larger picture for me to see the bunny - old age I guess.
I looked in my Southwest flower book and I believe your flowers are Long-Leaved Phlox.
Regards,
Dan
"Listening Walks" - I love it. Sounds like your daughter has a bit of Buddha in her. Thanks for the photos of the New Mexico floral and fauna. I enjoy seeing what's growing in other parts of the country.
Great photos - your plants are sooo different from waaay up here (Canada!)... I love the idea of you walking with your daughter to listen and observe. What a great way to learn about nature!
When I lived on our farm growing up, I took my niece on a nature walk - I went to a lot of effort to identify animal tracks - fox, raccoon, deer, rabbit, cat, horse and dog - all she could remember when we got home were the tracks from my brother's motorcycle! D'oh.
Hi Pony Girl,
It was amazing to get so close to it. We could have literally eached down to pet it, but it was frightened and doing a very good job at playing a statue.
Oh, you should take your school kids out fo nature walks as often as you can. All kids need to get out there and notice the natural world around them. Good for you in recognizing that. :)
Hi 7MSN,
Thanks for the plant ID. Ironically, Baby Doll sniffed it when I took her for a walk yesterday, but she preferred the grass growing around it instead. I was relieved actually. haha!
Hi Gudl,
Thanks! Exactly why I posted the plants. I enjoy seeing what lives and grows in other parts of the country and world and thought others might, too.
Oh, and usually I'd say, 'yes, I'm loving living in Twinville right now, but my twin sons ae in North Carolina visiting the Grands for the next few weeks. I SURE DO miss those sons of mine :o(
Thanks for the plant/flower ID, CeeCee. I figured you and Pearl were nature friends together. I love your blog and how you are always posting the plants and animals that live around you. Such beauty and interest out in nature, isn't there?
Hi Dan & Betty!,
So wonderful for you to visit! And thanks for the plant ID. I love seeing all of the plants and flowers, but I tend to just appreciate them without researching what they are. It's sure good to know, though.
Hi NM, Me, too! haha And yes, my daughter is one earthy, nature loving gal. She is also quite the animal magnet and it woulnd't be too shocking to see her walking down the trail with a parade of all sorts of critters following her. hehe
Hi Laura,
Thanks! I do enjoy hiking and going on nature walks with her, but while she likes the flowers, she really prefers the animals.
And like your neice, she loses interest in any 'lessons' or info I share with her after a few minutes. haha She still talks about that little bunny, but none of the plants are mentioned.
What a great name for your walks. I love the pictures, and especially the little bunny.
Post a Comment