Monday, August 18, 2008

Feathery Beauty

While enjoying my chickens recently, I really noticed how beautiful they are, as individuals.
When I say 'really noticed', I mean, I looked at the details of their faces, combs, legs and especially their beautiful feathers. It's easy to just look at chickens as a whole, and not as individuals. Each of my chickens have distinctly different personalities, as well as uniquely different and lovely feathers.

One of our Silver-Laced Wyandotte sisters
My daughter's beautiful Ameracauna, Angelina Ballerina.Sid Vicious, our Golden-Laced, Bearded Polish Roo.Our pretty Barred Rock, Betty.My favorite chicken, an Ameracauna named Annie.Kipper, one of our Speckled Sussex.This is Rhoda, one of our Rhode Island Reds. She has a black tail.Myrtle (as in Fertile Myrtle. Those who've been reading my blog for a while, may remember her as the douple and triple yolk laying wonder.). She's an Ameracauna.Our other Rhode Island Red, Rita. She has a white tail.Kipper again, our Speckled Sussex. She's always the first one in my lap when I sit down. And she follows me and the kids around like a puppy.

9 comments :

the7msn said...

Wow! I look at these patterns and colors and I instantly think fabric. They really are exquisite.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics twinville!

Andrea said...

Wow, they have really stunning colors. Great close up shots. I love Roo. Very nice!

Carolynn Anctil said...

They're gorgeous. I would LOVE to have a chicken sit in my lap....as long as she didn't lay an egg, I suppose. That would be kinda weird.

Anonymous said...

Those are really cool photos! Our Kipper is our Rhode Island Red, Lilly...she follows everyone around as well, and is always the first one at the door to the coop when she sees you coming.

goatgirl said...

What a great idea to do a close up on their feathers. Beautiful! I love my chickens too.

sugarcreekstuff said...

It amazes me the patterns those feathers makes. Your hens are beautiful.

Egghead said...

Great photos. Amazing how different each can be. Nature...Wow!

Robbyn said...

I'm totally with you on being fascinated by the beautiful feathering...I never get tired of admiring chickens (I know it sounds weird)...beautiful!