Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Shearer I am Not

Although I adore our two sheep, Blanca and Svetlana, I realized I don't post about them much. They are both very sweet and gentle and enjoy being petted. But they don't have as strong personalities as the other critters that call Laughing Orca Ranch home.
But we're glad they're here just the same. I bought them back in April from some friends in northern New Mexico. You can read more about that and our Churro and Karakul sheep HERE.

Blanca and Svetlana are 8 months old now and their wool has grown long and thick, especially Blanca. We've had some Indian Summer type weather lately, up into the 80's during the day and Blanca has not been doing very well with the heat, usually ending up in a shady spot with Svetlana for most of the day.

So I decided it was time to do some shearing....myself. Since we only have 2 sheep I didn't think I'd bother with hiring a prefessional sheep shearer, though I do know a few and plan to hire them for my llama shearing next Spring.

I decided to handle the job myself. And right away, relaized that my basic electric shears were not up for the task. So I pulled out my hand shears and got to work.

This is Blanca's 'Before' photo.And this is Blanca's 'After' photo. haha! What a chop job, eh? It took me about 1 1/2 hours and few nicks, including my own, to get this lovely job completed.
Blanca was a love! She was patient and enjoyed my handfuls of grain I handed out every little while.
She received the full beauty treatment, including pedicure, too.And this is the bag of wool Blanca gave me. I've added it to my 4 bags of Angora fleece to process, which I am excited about doing. I bought a new carder that I'm just itching to use.

Coming up: Spinning!

23 comments :

Gone2theDawgs said...

ooooweee! Yeah, those hand clipper jobs just are never quite as "pretty" :) I did that to a Jacob ewe I purchased off of Craigslist that hadn't been sheared in 3 years. She was SO happy to have it off she did a little dance when she went to return to the rest of the flock. You say your sheep are lacking a bit in personality??? Sounds like you need a Shetland!:)

Anonymous said...

Well, even with the choppy look (tehe) I'm sure Bianca enjoyed the cooler hairdo! Interesting to see. Will you post about how the wool gets processed?

Carolynn Anctil said...

Good for you! I'm sure Blanca will be much happier now. (Just hide the mirrors...) ;o)

billie said...

I'm so impressed that you are doing all this!

I have had, for a number of years, a very distinct vision of myself sitting by our wood stove knitting a poncho. I don't know how to knit!

But one of these days I'm going to learn - meanwhile I'm enjoying reading these posts and living vicariously. :)

cdncowgirl said...

Don't feel bad, you'll get better with practice!
I can't even imagine how bad it would have looked if I'd done it. Blanca would be embarrassed to show herself lol

I replied to your comment on "Pics" about the sorting on my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Just widgeting through and stopped to say hi. Interesting post. I'll be back to watch the next step in the process.

Christy said...

Oh my. That is a nice job you did there.

Pamela said...

My husband sheared our two adults last year. He laughs that the record is something like 300 in 8 hours and he managed 2 in 2 days.

He used hand shears as we figured, like you, that the electric clippers wouldn't survive even part of the way through.

I think the funniest was that he forgot to do the first one's tail so he/she (found out she was a wether) had this powder puff thing on the rear.

Looks to me you did a pretty fine job of it!

Carla said...

She looks fine! You did a fine job. You also left her enough wool to keep warm this winter.
What a good girl to stand tied for so long!

Dan and Betty said...

Did you get much lanolin on you? Betty and I had the joy of going to New Zealand a year and a half ago. On one of our excursions we got to watch a sheep shearing and it was amazing how much lanolin oil was on his overalls when he finished with just one sheep.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Pamela said...

Oh, forgot to ask. Did the lanolin smell like lobster to you? Weird, but that's what both my husband and I smelled while he was doing the trimming.

And Dan and Betty, I don't know about others, but my husband's hands were dripping with it!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Wrensong, Were you able to salvage any of the yarn of the Jacob ewe?
Shetland sheep, eh? I think I have enough sheep now, thank you.
But what do you think of the shetland wool?

Hi Ranchette,
Yes, Blanca is feeling much better and is moving around much freer now. I have to get her pal, Svetlana, the Karakul done next, though. Her wool isn't quite as shaggy, though.
Yes, I'll try to remember to take photos as I process this batch of wool. Thanks for you interest. :)

haha! Oh Carolynn, you, my dear, are just terrible :)

Oh thank you Billie. I still have trouble knitting with needles, but I can knit like a fiend using round and straight looms! haha
Looms are a perfect start for beginner knitters. You should try it. It really is easey peasey and so relaxing. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww, thanks CDN Cowgirl :)
And I'll check out your reply in just a bit.

Hi Rob. I hope you do! Thanks for visiting from WidgetLand :)

Oh Christy, you are just way too nice, my friend :)

300 in 8 hours, Pamela?! Oh wow. I feel so inadequate, too.
That's so funny about the surprise wether. hehe

Hi CeeCee,
Thank you. And thanks for seeing why I left so much wool on her. The days have been getting up into the 80's, but the nights ooften drop into the 40's. And with Fall and winter coming I didn't think she'd be able to grow enough wool to insulate her from the cold in time.

So, she'g got all that extra wool weight off, but has enough fluff to keep her warm at night. :)

The Wades said...

way cool! love the chop job! :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Dan,
My parents went to Australia and visited the sheep and they said the same thing.
I think Churro have a lot less lanolin than many other sheep, probably because they don't need protection from the rain or snow(the southwest is pretty dry, you know).
That said, she did have a bit of lanolin closer to the skin, as well as under her arms/legs and her belly.
Made my hands feel very soft afterwards :)

Pamela, lobster, eh? I honestly don't remember. And it's been years since I've enjoyed a lobster I probably wouldn't know even if it did! haha

WeekendFarmer said...

lol : ) That was funny! Great job. She must be happy. I saw a professional doing it and somehow the wool comes out like a blanket. Quite amazing! I wonder if one can stuff a comforter with wool like they do with duck feathers. Amazed at your spinning skills. Thats a talent!

Gone2theDawgs said...

Nah, I had butchered up her fleece pretty good and being as it was over 3 years old I wouldn't even want to begin to try and sort/skirt the VM out of it!! :) I donated it to the local birds which made good use of it I'm sure lining their nests. :) Shetland fleeces....not being the most knowledgeable in that area but there sure are some SOFT ones!! :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey 'Wades' thanks alot! hehe

Aawww thanks so much Weekend Farmer. That means so much considering I'm such a newbie right now. It sure is fun and very addictive.
I went to one of those historical villages a long time ago, and they did use wool to stuff their pillows and comforters with. What a great idea, eh?

Hey Wrensong, I hear ya on the build up off the VM. Even my sheep have it on their backs because they like to scrounge for hay under the llamas' feeder. ugh.
Maybe I should blanket them, at least at night when they are feeding in the barn.

Unknown said...

Powder puff thing in the back? Wethers have had their powder puff thing removed! Like steers and barrows and geldings.

If it's still got the powder puff thing, it's a ram.

LOL :)

white_lilly said...

I'm sorry Lisa I was laughing so much I had to pinch myself to stop! I live in sheep country and the farmers are all shearing at the moment and their sheep do not look like your Blanca. I think you did and excellent job it would have taken me 2days and she wouldn't have looked as nice.Please have pictures of your carder I am really interested.

Andrea said...

I would not have known where to even begin!! That is a lot of wool!! Very impressive job!!

Egghead said...

I have to laugh...that is how a sheer job by me would look. But she does look much cooler and I am looking forward to the spinning...

Anika said...

thats so cool! I bet she was happy, she sure did have a lot of fur before!