She left me one of her spinning wheels to practice on and I was able to spend a few evenings and afternoons spinning over the last few weeks.
My first practice attempts were quite rough indeed.
My first small ball of yarn using dyed corriedale roving was a mess, but my second attempt, using silky soft angora mohair roving was a bit better.
Kat and I had visited my local yarn store, called Good Fibrations in Edgewood. We were trying to find some good roving to spin, preferrably white, so we could dye it.But we were so excited when we dipped our hands into a large bag of Alpaca/Corriedale/Soy Protein roving. Wow! The texture was amazing! So we both bought bags to take home and spin. Here's some of mine waiting to be spun.
With this new wonder fiber, things started to improve quickly. I loved the way the fleece slid through my fingers and spun into this chubby yarn.(Please ignore my hobbit feet, please)
With this new roving slipping through my fingers, and the wheel just spinning along happily, I finally started finding my zen place.
And this is my 3rd practice ball of yarn. I wish you could just feel how soft this yarn is. I can't wait to spin enough of this roving into yarn so I can knit myself a hat and scarf for this winter.
But that'll have to wait a bit because Kat had to take back her spinning wheel for a lesson when her friend came to visit last week. (Wah) But we're making plans to get together for some more spinning lessons and fun very soon.I'll be sure to update as more yarn is produced and when I finally get started on the hat and scarf. The thought of that silky soft hat and scarf just makes me smile!
I can now see why spinning is so addictive!
18 comments :
I'll bet that spinning yarn is the true meaning of zen. I haven't done it myself, but I'll bet it can get you into a nice, clear, relaxed mind space.
I love that spinning machine. The whole yarn process is so interesting.
I can't wait to see what all you knit. Maybe you will have enough yarn for an afgan. Go Lisa!
It will be beautiful!
Pam
I really want to try spinning. After I move I'll have to meet someone who spins so I can try it. It seems like it would be fun and relaxing.
Learning to spin and knit at soon to be 50 years of age....that's me. I am completely fascinated with the whole procedure and LOVE the finished products. You're doing GREAT! My friend, Lois, at Stonehaven Shetlands gave me a whirlwind course in spindle spinning and knitting....I think I've forgotten everything....except that she told me there is no such thing as bad yarn... it definitely gives your finished products some character!:)
We use to go watch the spinners at the Shaker village in Kentucky. It was amazing to watch their 'relaxed concentration.'
Great picture of your foot.
Dan
Spinning looks so relaxing and meditative. And the idea that it has been done in the same way for hundreds and hundreds of years just blows me away.
I noticed that you were barefooted. I've seen a lot of images of women spinning and they are pretty much all barefooted. Is there a reason? Does it help you feel the wheel better? Really curious about it.
Note to self: NO! You cannot start a new hobby until you get yourself organized enough to at least keep the kitchen floor mopped!
I think your yarn looks really good - You can almost see how soft it is. I'd love to try spinning some day, although I think I'd be pretty klutzy.
Don't forget to show off what you make! Your spinning work looks great---just make a scarf or something out it. The nubby areas will make it look all the more authentic.
Well, sometimes I read blogs and feel a bit like a "lurker" because I don't leave a comment. This blog, however, has been such fun that I felt I had to tell you! You have made me wish I knew how to spin!!! I read a few of your past posts, too, with the same interest! Love your pictures, too. I have some goats and some chickens...and now, after reading your post, I want some sheep!
Juri
Your yarn is beautiful, to heck with knitting, just put it in a glass bowl for decoration!
NM,
Oh yes. Once you get there, you know it! :) And then you fumble...and you've got to find it again. haha!
HI Pam,
That WOULD be great! Thanks. I'll be sure to post what I finally ened up making. Hopefully before it gets too cold! hehe
Oh yes, Christy, you should. And I can guarantee that you, my friend will be a natural! Look how quickly you took to crochet. You have a talent for hand crafts, Christy. So, go for it :)
haha, You go Wrensong Farm friend! I haven't spent much time spindle spinning. It's defenitely a little more challenging, I think.
I agree about the nubby yarn. I think that's one of the best things about handspinning is that the imperfect is welcome and encouraged. :)
haha Thanks Dan. I swear all I need is some hair on my feet and they will look like a Hobbit owns them! :)
Pamela,
Do as I do, and ignore the floors. Spinning can help you do that. hehe
I like that spinning is so historical, too. What worked a long time has not been changed, unlike so many other crafts and hobbies.
Yes, using your feet connects you to the wheel and helps give you a better feel of what is going on between the wheel and spindle. I think I can compare spinning barefoot to riding bareback. :)
Victoria,
Thank you, my friend. I actually think you'd do very well at spinning. You seem to be a very calm peaceful and focused person, which is perfect for settling down to a spinning wheel. :)
Aww, thanks CeeCee! I surely will :)
Hi Juri,
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom on my blog. I'll be sure to stop by and visit with you and your critters soon, too. Feel free to visit and leave me a comment anytime :)
That looks lovely. I've never done any spinning, however, I can see how it would be a very meditative activity. Have you ever visited the Yarn Harlot's site? Her link is in my sidebar. She's a riot.
BTW, Hobbits are very popular these days. ;o)
Shearing and spinning??? Goodness girl...you are quite the barnyard goddesss...lol!!!
You have a lot more patience than I do. Does it take a really long time to get a ball of yarn?
Your yarn looks great, you seem to pick up new skills quiet easy I love the feel of Alpaca wool, it is so soft and it will be beautiful in a scarf or hat.
This is amazing!! Do you knit too? I bet that is really really soft!! You are so talented!!
I have always thought it would be so neat to learn to spin. Great job on your little ball of yarn.
Post a Comment