We had Baby Doll in Val's Half Breed halter/bit. My painted gal did much better, but still tries to steal her head sometimes. My dear friend Val is helping Baby Doll and I work on these issues, so the goal is to overcome them and I just know we will.
I rode Baby Doll over a log, in circles, serpentines, along the fence and across the arena. I think we did pretty good, but getting her into a trot is not fun because she kind of hops into it with one leg. It's not smooth at all and a little startling.
I'd like to ride her with a nice smooth, slow trot eventually.
After riding around and working the horses, we hung out and talked. This led into some fun trick riding stunts, and of course, you know I always have my camera with me.
Just soaking up the beautiful New Mexico sun.
Nadia agrees that a nap is the perfect thing to do.
Look what Val talked me into.
Ok Val, I can only guess where this pose is gonna lead. You sure have a great smile, though.
Yep, Just look what my crazy fun friend talked me into doing. All I needed was a back rest and I'd have been doing a Lazy Boy Recliner pose out there! haha
No freakin' way, Val. I will not try that. You have fun with it, though. Uh huh. You go girl. whoohoo.....
No, my friend, I'm quite happy just sitting here comfy holding my camera and taking pictures of you.
'Cause you are much more entertaining. And Nadia is really just a statue of a horse, right?
Val, you really need to play with the camera more often. This, my friend is a really cool shot.
And when I looked down this was what I saw. Nice view, eh?
18 comments :
In those first two pics of you, how you're sitting... a lot of times at barrel racing jackpots girls will sit like that on their horses while waiting their turn.
Not me, I always think "What if something happens???"
But where you were, just you and Val, not a lot of commotion, it seems okay.
How funny - my daughter saw our amish neighbor stand on his horse when she was about 4, and thought she could do that on my dad's 2 yr. old green broke paint. Needless to say, she bit the dust - didn't get hurt, and climed right back up there. Me, I like my feet on solid ground...
Kris
When my sister had her horse, I loved just sitting or laying on him as he munched away in the pasture, no saddle or bridle needed. I think they just love the attention.
I don't think I ever stood on his back though.
I have never been brave enough to stand on a horse. Your friend sure has great balance!! Looks like you two had a fun ride.
Glad Baby Doll is doing better with the new bit!!
Now that looks like a fun way to while away an afternoon. Good fellows you have there. Very accommodating and tolerant.
Cdncowgirl, I must have been one of those "waiting barrel racers" when I first learned to sit that way. It actually feels really good and stretches your legs. If the horse should move you can easily and quickly slide your legs down and into the stirrups. Usually, those horses are dozing and only shift a resting leg. You should try it!
Oh, I look so goofy! We had been still a loooong time or I would NEVER have stood up. ;)
That is my Apache hideaway trick only you're supposed to take the picture from the other side! The Indians used to go down on their horses sides to avoid being shot at. However, I am not brave enough to do it at a run.
PS~ Lisa, thanks for plugging my site! I'm sure I'll never have the loyal and loving following you have and I certainly don't blog as well as you, but it IS fun! Thanks for introducing me to it. If only I had more time and willpower.
Wow! You two are something!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving so nice comment...I am very busy these days as you know....hardly any time for blogging...oh well...
Wow! Your horse, Baby Doll, is really cute! I have those same blue nylon-ish reins for my horse. ;] That's so cool, that Val stood up on her horse! I'd be too scared to try that. haha
Great pictures. I won't stand on my horse either. Maybe in 15 years or so, but not now.
Dan
Ya-Who You girls look like you had a lot of fun. Your Baby Doll looks so cute. I remember having my first riding lessons on a horse just like Baby Doll only smaller. Maybe next time you can do your tricks at a trot Only kidding!!
You guys are funny and those horses are quite sweet putting up with all of your shenanigans. I used to have a sweetheart of a horse that would let me do all kinds of stuff and would just stand there probably thinking "now what is she up to...hurry it up so I can go home and get that grain". Great shots.
Oh what fun! These pictures bring back a lot of memories from my childhood.
Glad that you and Val were able to let your hair down and have some fun...lol!!!
BTW...have I mentioned that you are lucky to have Val??? It is very nice of her to help you out with Baby Doll.
Keep up the good-and fun!- work!
Melanie
My idea of "trick riding" is staying in the saddle while my horse crow-hops, spooks and any other unique movement they can do! I always wanted to be able to do one of those mounts while the horse gallops past....or even one of those over the butt mounts....never have been that limber!
Oh, and I guess it's who you ask that will say if I have a redhead temper or not! ;)
CDN Cowgirl,
You're right. Both our horses didn't bat an eye, nor take a setp. They were more interested in napping while we ladies chatted and played. :)
Kris! Yikes!
Thanks for stopping by :)
Hi Michelle,
I enjoy that same thing, too. I tell ya we really must be kindred spirits. Sitting on her back while she's eating, or even just sitting on the ground near her head while she munches hay are my most favorite things to do. And Baby Doll seems to like when I'm right there with her, too. :)
Hi Andrea,
Thanks :) Me neither. I wish I could, but with my tall height I barely feel comfortable standing on the ground, much less way up on the back of a horse. haha!
Hi Carolynn, Oh yes I agree. :)
Thanks for stopping by.
Hey Val,
I think you'd looked great! And I like your unique blog, too.
I was petting Annie today, and he belly has definetly grown. What a beautiful mama she is! :)
Hi Gudl,
So nice of you to stop by. I know you are so busy now with the newe restaurant. I'm glad it's going so well for you :)
Hi Anika,
Thanks for visiting. Actually they're green barrel reins. They are rather short, which seems to work well for Baby Doll when she tries to steal her head or grab some grass on the trail.
Thanks for the nice comments, too :)
Hi Dan,
I'm going to look you up in 15 years and see if you've stood up on your horse, k? hehe
Hi White Lilly,
Thanks for visiting. Umm....tricks at a trot. Uh...no.
hehe
haha Egghead. That's exactly the way it is, too, isn't it? :)
Thanks Mealnie,
Don't I know it! haha
Thanks for visiting :)
Wrensong
I'd rather not have to do any tricks actually! hehe
Oh, and I hope I never have to find out about that red head temper! gah! hehe
I clicked on the'If you Liked this story...) and CHECK YOU OUT!
Cute memories here!
Kacy
Post a Comment