that I thought was a fun idea and might get my mind off
my stolen camera.
*Here are the rules:
1)Grab the nearest book.
2)Open the book to page 56.
3)Find the fifth sentence.
4)Post the text of the next two to five sentences.
5)Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book or the intellectual one,
Pick the Closest.
6)Tag five people to do the same.
So, this is the book I have beside me right now.

The Complete Training of Horse and Rider
In the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
by Alois Podhajsky
Former Director of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna
And this from page 56:
"As a sculptor would first shape his future work of art from
rough stone with swift and strong blows of the chisel and, as it progresses, work on the details with ever more delicate strokes in order to produce the finished article in all it's beauty, so must the aids of the rider become more and more refined as the training proceeds. The rider must always remember this and be careful not to be carried away by impatience or temper and destroy with rough aids what he has built up in his previous work. Following the parable of the sculptor it would be the same as if, by a careless or coarse stroke of the chisel, he destroyed his otherwise satisfactorly emerging work.
Forward is the essence of training. The rider's legs from the thigh downwards must be in touch with the horse's body. The lower legs on the girth or immediately behind it will make the horse's hind legs step more under his body and make him go forward with energy. The effect of the legs must become more and more refined in the course
of training."
And you all know how I just can't help not including some blog school in my posts, so I'm including a little review, too:
"In my opinion this is one of the finest horsemanship novels ever written. Podhajsky's book is not an easy-reading "how to ride" book. This is a technical manual for serious riders.
The book is divided into six chapters. Some readers may find this book to be long or boring due to its eloquent vocabulary. For people with little time I would recommend reading small sections at a time. The author includes so many details that the reader should reflect on what is being learned and not just rush through it.
I especially like how it's set up in two different chapters, one on "the training of the horse" and the other "the training of the rider." By breaking apart the two concepts, a rider is able to first read what the horse should be doing and then what they should be doing at the same time. Other chapters are about the principles of riding, definitions and key concepts, saddles and bridles, and the Spanish Riding School."
This is an interesting excerpt taken from the book, about proper seat while riding:
Horse and Rider
Ok, so put away your notebooks class. I am choosing 5 blogs to tag for this book challenge, but I'd also love it if the rest of you would leave a comment and tell me what you're reading right now. I'm always up for a good book and I'm very interested in what books you're enjoying (or not, whatever the case may be. lol!)
I Tag:
Pony Girl
Nuzzling Muzzles
Wrensong Farm
Melanie
Laura
Happy Reading!!
14 comments :
Right now I'm reading the ms of a writer friend and giving feedback - so I can't quote from it w/o permission!
But it's lovely and I hope will come out in the world in the next year or so.
I love Podhajsky. It's a dense book but full of good stuff.
Excellent~Excellent choice...I remember, you did like my Motto!
Thanks for the good reminders of a subtle body as a tool!
AHS
Excellent~Excellent choice...I remember, you did like my Motto!
Thanks for the good reminders of a subtle body as a tool!
AHS
Hi thanks for not tagging me. I was tagged before but do not like to play.
Just stopped by to say Hi.
Grammy
Your book is on my Amazon.com list of books to buy. Right now I'm reading, "The Natural Horse" by Jaime Jackson.
Dan
What a neat idea! I love it!
Good advice from the book. I will be searching for a copy.
Hi Lisa,
See, I knew you could do it. It may not be as easy, but a creative person such as yourself will find a way.
I am currently reading a SF novel that is part of a series by one of my favorite authors (R.A.Salvatore) entilted "The Lone Drow". I am also trying to start another SF novel, again part of a series, by my favorite author, Anne McCaffrey, titled "Dragon Harper". Both are what I like to call MIND CANDY.
I also like to read history, research, National Geographic Magazines, autobiography and horror stories. But for pure fun it's Science Fiction.
Well you didn't tag me but I thought this looked like fun. I don't know 5 other people who read my blog AND have a blog but here's hoping.
Lisa, I've seen that book at the book store and always wondered what it was like.
I will definitely play the tag game sometime soon!
Say, I read about your camera, that is so unfortunate! My cousin had her camera stolen and found it in a pawn shop! Thanks to Oregon state law, they actually had to buy it back. Can you believe it!? Check local craigslist.org or Ebay, perhaps someone is "advertising" YOUR camera for sale!
And everyone is right, your blog is great without pictures, too!! Don't leave us and a new camera will come along before you can say "cheese!" ((((hugs)))
That was a great excerpt. I love the reference to sculpting. Having more leg on and being more subtle with my cues have both been things I'm working on in my lessons with Goldie.
Thanks for playing.
What a fun tag!!! You do know that I am surrounded by boring textbooks, don't you? LOL!!!
I will play along here shortly...
What a fun tag!! And I have never heard of that book before! I will have to see if our Library has it so i can read it!!
I am so pleased and impressed with the book that happened to be closest to you -- but of course, I'm a dressage rider and trainer so Podhajsky's preaching to the choir!
Post a Comment