As most of my readers are probably aware, I'm an outside-gal. I love to be outside, hiking, exploring, horse-back riding, playing with my kids and animals, camping, and Letterboxing.
Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. I enjoy seeing the trees turn color and think it's fun to walk over the fallen leaves listening to the crunch-crunch sound.
Everyone in my family seems to enjoy this seasonal pastime, too. Except for my daughter.
She's afraid of leaves.
(The next 4 photos are not mine, but borrowed from the internet)

As some of you know, my daughter suffers from OCD and Aspergers/High Functioning Autism. One of the symptoms seems to be latching onto irrational fears. She's 'chosen' leaves.
She's been afraid of leaves on the ground, moving around, and leaves on the trail, that might brush her skin, for as long as I can remember. She's not just a little bit afraid. She's terrified and will go into a panic even thinking about touching a leaf.

It's good we don't live back east anymore, where trees with leaves number in the thousands. And raking leaves into piles, for kids to jump into and play in, is as normal and common experience for all children every Autumn.

For her leaves are nothing to be messed around with. The bigger the leaf, the more horrible it must be, waiting to gnash it's teeth and carry my daughter away.

So, as you can imagine, including my daughter in Fall hiking, camping and Letterboxing trips can be quite the challenge. She loves to be a part of everything we do, though, so I try to bring her along at most opportunities. Except It usually means I become a pack mule. But if my sons are along, they generously help carry their leaf-challenged sister, to give my aching back a break.
My neighbor friend, Val, over at Fantastyk Voyage and I recently drove down about 40 mins south to the Manzano Mountains, Fourth of July Canyon to search for a letterbox placed there. Jenna tagged along, too.
All the leaves had fallen off the trees. There were alot of dead, crunchy leaves on the ground.
Here's Val on the leaf-covered trail.

Val wrote up a wonderful post on our Fall letterboxing adventures, with some lovely photos, too. You can see them on her Lost in Fallen Leaves post.
We located the letterbox, as well as a Hitchhiker box nearby, too. (We relocated it to the Quarri letterbox location, after we left Fourth of July Canyon) We stamped in with the cleverly created, and pretty stamp, made some leaf rubbings (just Val and I, of course), and enjoyed the nature and the sound of the wind in the trees.
As you can rightly imagine, Jenna was not about to set one foot on the ground.

For more info on Letterboxing.
24 comments :
Letterboxing sounds like a fun pastime. It's too bad Jenna is afraid of leaves, but maybe the more she sees all of you tromping through them unharmed, she will decide they are not so bad sometime in the future.
I'm glad that Jenna will at least go along with you. Baby steps. :)
I love that you take her fear seriously and find ways to include her - she looks quite happy up on the bench!
We've had leaves swirling everywhere this week with all the wind. Your leaf sitting on the road is beautiful - I especially like how the stem is perched up, reaching for the sky.
OH, Poor baby, Must really be a challenge. Bless her heart and your back, LOL. Letterboxing sounds fun. I'll have to check out that link!
Sounds like loads of fun. Maybe Jenna will be able to overcome this in time.
You are wonderfully patient with her.
Beautiful pictures.
I ♥ the first picture!!! I couldn't help myself... "awwwwwwwww!!!!"!
Aw, thanks for putting a smile on my face.
Lisa, have you read "Animals in Translation?" It's written by a woman who is autistic and she's a professor at Colorado State. It's a fascinating read as she explains how autistic children and animals share many insights - especially the way they both see the world in intense detail - where most of us see life in a general way. Autistic children and animals can be overwhelmed by the detail around them. Even though we see a pile of leaves, Jenna may see every single leaf in incredible detail.
She seems like a wonderful young girl.
Regards,
Dan
I heard that some have a fear of cotton balls, Jennas leaves at least make a sound. So her fear isn't so bad.
Jenna is brave. Look at all those leaves around her.
And I would be scared too if there were leaf men like that around me!!
She looks adorable and almost happy on that bench...You tell her from me...that she is the onqueror of those those leaves...afterall..they are all now dead and she is alive!!!
(of course, after you explain "conqueror")
She is adorable!!!
Jenna is very pretty and very smart. She is saving her courage for something that really matters.
You and she are lucky to be alive now, when she can be understood. Forty or fifty years ago, your stories would have been different.
Sweet girl! I love her on the bench. :) Good luck making it through this fall season. Maybe by next year, she'll be over this.
Happy hiking.
I love the picture of Jenna with all the autumn leaves - beautiful!! Just wanted to stop by and say "hello". I've been crazy busy lately and have just come up for air. :)
My daughter was terrified of loud noises - like the flush of a toilet in a public restroom. And those automatic ones terrified her. You know how they go off randomly sometimes?
I'm glad you are able to take your time to walk her through her concerns. And the book "animals in translation" is very helpful for understanding horses too.
My horse is scared of leaves too. especially when they look like lions. :)
My father lives in Stanley - are you very far from there?
I understand her fear! You miss out on so much. I have a grandson with Aspergers, he struggles with loud noises, and ANY change in activity..he likes his schedule and likes to be on it! He does really well in school! :)
Hi Lisa,
I honestly can't remember how I ended up on your blog. I start clicking through friends blogs and sometimes I end up in places without a map behind me lol!
You have a very nice blog here. I can understand your daughter's fear of leaves, it really makes sense when we stop to think about what may be beneath that leaf making it move around, making that crunching sound.
I'm afraid of spiders, working on it, but afraid :)
The letterboxing sounds like fun, I'll have to read more about it for sure.
Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello :)
Have a blessed evening,
Sharon
Hey Arlene,
I hope one day that will be so. :)
Yes, letterboxing is a wonderful way for our family to get out and explore the world together.
CeeCee. I like that, "baby steps'. Of course, it does get difficult when Jenna won't even take baby steps in the leaves. hehe
Hi Billie,
Thank you. I'm glad that we're able to accomodate Jenna's needs so well. It's challenging sometimes, but I'm so grateful for my loving, beautiful daughter :)
Oh and I can't take credit for that cute leaf photo. IT's a borroed one from the internet. My nice camera, as you know was stolen and the one I'm borrowing doesn't even have zoom.
Thanks Callie :)
I wish you and I lived closer. I'd love to hve you join us for some letterboxing adventures.
Thanks Gail. I hope so, too. I'm grateful for my patience. If I had had her earlier, I'm not sure I'd have as much patience and understanding. With age comes wisdom, right? :)
Lydia,
You're nuts. :P
Grammy,
What exactly made you smile in this post? The photos of the leaf critters?
Hi Dan
Thanks for writing. I've not yet read Animals in TRansition, but I will now that you recommended it. Ironically my daughter has a very close connection to the animal world. They are drawn to her and she has a very gentle uncanny way in communicating with all animals. It's truly amazing.
Michelle,
I agree with you. We all have fears. Why should a fear of the dark be any more accepted than a fear of skittering noisy leaves?
Thanks Andrea. I know. That leaf face gives me the creeps everytime I look at it actually. :P
Awww AllHorse, that's just so sweet. Thanks, and I'll be sure to tell her soon.
Lisa-
You are definitely living in the right place for a little girl with a horrible fear of leaves...the desert...lol!!!
Obviously you have trees and leaves, but I am just being silly...you know, the land of cacti and sand???
You are such a good mommy to take her fear seriously. Aspergers and OCD are such tricky conditions.
Tell her that she looks "too cute" in all of those scary leaves!!!
Cara,
Thank you for your thoughtful and meaningful comment. It touched my heart. :)
Thank you Michelle (The Wades). I hope so, too. I would love to see her playing in the leaves one day.
Hello C-ing spots. Sure hope things slow down for you soon.
Breathe,
Jenna is also afraid of loud noises and those auto hand dryers and loud flushing toilets, too. She's so sweet and loving and brave in so many other ways, I can't help but adore her.
Thanks for the second recommendation for the animals in transition book. I am going to look for it at the library the next time we go.
We are not far from Stanley at all. Less than 30 mins. You should look me up when you visit your Father. :)
Hi Farside,
Thanks for visiting. It's great that your grandson does so well in school. Jenna, on the other hand, becomes too overly stimulated with the noise, pressures, demands, as well as the other children in a school setting.
'Normal' children act a certain way, like most of society, and Jenna doesn't meet their expectations most of the time the interactions can become quite awkward and often very hurtful.
So, Jenna is homeschooled, but given many opportunities to play with other children in a quieter, more controlled setting. She does really well and her beautiful personality is shining through.
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for visiting. I know what you mean about 'blog travel' I've literally fallen into a blog and was so glad, but couldn't remember how it happened. lol!
Thank you for thoughtful and kind comment, too. Please come back and visit again soon.
~Lisa
~~~~~
Scary leaf monsters indeed, those pictures scare me too. Have you read the Bobbsey Twins book to her? I have read all of them, loved them, but I can't remember what it's about. Maybe it'll help her out of her fear.
That book, Animals in Transition, sounds like a worthy read.
Yes, Jenna is so good with animals! It's amazing.
I've never heard of letterboxing, but I'm about to go look it up :-)
and I've never been afraid of leaves, but after those photos you posted!! :-O They were pretty scary!
Ruth xx
Lisa,
Jenna is very lucky to have you for a mom. I understand what you are talking about when you said
'Normal' children act a certain way, like most of society, and Jenna doesn't meet their expectations most of the time the interactions can become quite awkward and often very hurtful. I have a three year old grandson who is autistic as well. He sounds much like Jenna and is in a special program now for speech and social interactions for autistic children. He seems to be blossoming in the program and is finally beginning to speak although he is still a good year behind. On top of this he is a big boy, very tall, and looks older than three so people already expect him to act older and when he can't interact as "expected" there is lots of judgment. Frustrating. For the privacy of my daughter I don't blog about this so if you want to talk, feel free to email me.
Lisa,
I live in the east mountains too. My 17 year old daughter, in April, has aspergers thankfully a mild form, though the younger years were very hard. You would barely know it today. I also have two younger children 4 and 5. I also raise goats, two mini horses, and two doggies.
Jennifer
The Jade Goat Farm
Post a Comment