In the high desert region of the Southwestern United States, between 5,500 and 7,000feet, resides one of New Mexico's most precious assets, Pinus edulis, the New Mexico Pinon Tree. The Pinon Tree is New Mexico's State Tree and is often called the "Manna" of the desert. The Pinon nut, has sustained life for humans and animals alike for centuries. The Pinon tree clings to the rim of the canyons, taking root in the solid rock and endures the ravages of nature.
This is a photo I took from our hiking trails. The mountains you see are the backside (or eastside) of the Sandia Mountains.

And here you can see the Westside view of the Sandia Mountains with photos taken 2 years ago from our backyard in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, before we moved to the mountains.
Taking nearly 200 years to produce a 1-foot diameter trunk. An old piñon may be more than 500 years old, and may live as long as 1,000 years.
If the winter-spring is wet, the piñon will produce a good crop of piñons the following year between September and October, an event that happens about every 6 years. Piñons reproduce by seed only, and it takes about 25 years for a tree to begin producing seedcones. A photo looking down one of the trails we hiked.

Piñon nuts are gathered by hand, from wild trees. The harvest is labor intensive, requiring pulling off the cones with a pole or gloves, or picking individual fallen seeds off the ground. The meat of the seed is protected by a heavy shell which must be removed.
I enjoy eating them raw, but roasting brings out the buttery rich flavor even more.
After roasting, the toasted buttery creamy flavor is addictive. Euell Gibbons author of "Handbook of Edible Wild Plants" described Piñon nuts "The most palatable of all the wild foods."
Here you can see Val and Jem harvesting (and eating) pinon nuts from the ground.

The nuts can be prepared and eaten in many different ways – raw, roasted, boiled, mashed, as a soup or ground into a paste like peanut butter. There are many unique and delicous recipes to try using pinon nuts. And here in New Mexico, you can find wonderful products to buy using pinons, too. (they also do mail order. hint-hint)
One of my favorite products using pinon nuts is Pinon Coffee. Yummy!
And here's Val filling up her bag full of delicious pinons.

And there is just something truly New Mexican about the spicy scent of pinon wood smoke from cozy fires on a cold winter night. A cup of Pinon Coffee and a plate full of sweet, delicate-tasting New Mexico Biscochitos is as authentic a New Mexico experience as you can imagine.
“Nobody who has sat before a roaring, pitch-boiling, bubbling, scented fire of piñon can think of it as a mere consumption of wood. It is the spirited release of centuries of brilliant sunlight absorbed under a cloudless Southwestern sky, the sudden and instant flow of energy patiently accumulated." from Pinon.com
And here is my recent Pinon Harvest. Which tasty recipes do you think I should make?

For more fascinating adventures around the world, visit My World Tuesday!!
33 comments :
Thanks for the tour. Great pics.
Cheers!
Regina In Pictures
Interesting post. I learned something new! ;) I've never had pinon nuts before. I would love to sit next to one of those fires, though. Great imagery with the quote you put in!
Beautiful and interesting! Excellent
MyWorld Post!
Cheers, Klaus
Isn't this cool! I don't think I have ever tasted the Pinon nut but it sounds absolutely fascinating!!! I am totally intrigued by this and makes me want to try these more than ever.
Awesome post!!!!
~Michele~
Lisa: That is a great story of the Pinon Tree. I have used the nut in cooking and do like the taste very much. You made quite the haul from the trees.
That is so versatile. I have never herd of them before.
Pinons are great! We had a delicious Pinon Pie at the Laughing Lizard restaurant in Jemez Springs a couple of years ago. The latest edition has a recipe for Pinon Pie. It's something you can consider. If you like Pecan Pie, you'll love Pinon Pie.
Dan
Had some in New Mexico.
Great Pictures.
Interesting and informative. I have not seen one nor even heard of it before now. The photos are great to accompany the wonderful text.
See you next week.
very educational post! i think i learned something! lol...
anyways... i love the squirrel in the last picutre... sry just had to say that! hes soooooooooooo cute! lol!
I have eaten pinon nuts many times, and do cook and bake with them. Now I know why they are so expensive in the store. I had never seen any with the shells on before. Thank you for the informational post.
Lisa, great blog posts - I love the photo of the sleeping family and the bread AND the pinon!
Wish we had some pinon wood right now to feed the stove.
Gorgeous part of the world. Your viking mascot is odd. Wonder what the story behind it is.
I love pinon nuts! Do you happen to have any extras ;)
I grew up eating pinon nuts and smelling pinon wood burning.....it still brings back memories in seconds! :) I've never had pinon coffee...I'd like to try it though! You got a great harvest! Congrats!
Are pinon nuts at all like pine nuts? They look interesting and sound yummy, even if I'm not too sure about that pinon coffee idea ...
Interesting post, I learn something all the time from you. I'd love to try a pinon nut or two.
I never knew this about pinon nuts. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, I never paid attention to my font color, but am glad you mentioned it. I made it darker...I don't know much about html, but I just looked for the parts that said 'font' and changed those. Let me know what you think.
Great photos, great post - learn something new every day, thanks
Our family took a trip to Jimez a couple weeks ago. Eating pinons off the ground was definitely one of the highlights! Yumm-o!
Excellent post, Lisa. Very informative and interesting. Someone once sent me some piñon incense -- tiny little 'logs' that would smolder on a dish releasing a wonderful woody aroma. I've never had the nuts, though one of these days I hope to try some.
I've never had pinon nuts before but they sound wonderful.
Beautiful! Thanks for the story, too. I learned and enjoyed quite a lot here.
Pine nuts? It looks like pine nuts to me!
What a nice and interesting blog!
The biscochitos sound delicious. I'll be down on the next jet. ;-)
An absolutely wonderful and informative post. Something that takes hours of hiking to the site, and hours and usually a sore back in gathering is so much worth while than buying it in a vacuum sealed bag ina shop. The closeness and life integration with nature ads zest and flavour to the product. Also a great deal of satisfaction tha mother nature once more has provided her bounty for our delectation.
PS, I love pine nuts!!
My favorite coffee is pinon! I just brewed a pot this morning. Mmmm, I'm thinking about making a batch of biscochitos!
I have been working on ways to shell them without breaking my teeth. Let me know if you come up with something.
It was great fun harvesting them.
yummy yummy pinon nuts in a salad...good stuff.
send some this way...
have a wonderful week.
erin
There you go again...rubbing NM in our faces...lol!!!!
It looks like you all had a wonderful time and came back with a great harvest. Mail order, eh??? I may have to try these sometime. :)
Thanks for the info to BWO!!! I will definitely have to put one of those on my blog...lol!!!
I was going to ask the same question Wren did about pine nuts. The bark of the tree looks similar to pine bark, and it sounds like both are conifers, but I'm not at all familiar with the pinon tree. Sounds like it might be more closely related to a redwood than the typical southeastern pine tree though given its life expectancy and growth cycle.
This is a lovely and informative post! We have pinon trees here in northern Arizona too, and in years past we harvested the nuts. I don't think I ever cooked with them..just sat around the fire snacking away..
I can see now we were missing some good dishes:)
Terrific post! So informative to she-who-has-never-gone-pinon-harvesting me! I have always wanted to. No time and definitely no clue how to do ti. Now I know. I just need to find the time.
Your westside pictures in the older post are FABULOUS!!!
I enjoyed this post immensely! Lots of interesting info. I've read about and been interested in pinyon trees for a long time, and even tried growing one once, but the little sapling didn't make it. :-(
Post a Comment