(Note: Ranchman John has been doing morning duty since my recent hospital visit, so I've not seen any ice in our buckets, so I took a photo of the bucket today and just edited the photo using my PictureIt Express software, to make it look like ice. Cool, eh?)In our barn we have several blue 16 gallon electric-heated water buckets. These keep the water at just the right temperature so that the water won't freeze. I appreciate ours and think they are totally worth the money.
Also in our small fish pond, because it's not very deep, we keep an immersible electric water heater which keeps the water from freezing.
Baby Doll will use her blue heated bucket if she's stabled in the barn. But she has a love-affair with her large black water bucket out in her paddock, and always heads to it when it's available. I'm not sure if the wider shape or the color is what turns her on, but that bucket is her preference, for sure.
Of course, that water bucket isn't heated, so it can freeze solid if the temperature dips low enough, or will at least form a thick layer of ice that must be cracked and removed.
I've been thinking of getting an immersible heater for Baby Doll's black bucket and am very interested in what my readers use in their barns or paddocks. Or do you just deal with the ice with a hammer instead?
It seems there are many choices out there for Heated Buckets and De-Icers.
What do you use?
And now onto another 'Icy' subject.........
Meg over at Lucchese to Louis Vuitton recently wrote a blog post that touched on some of my feelings. It was about blogger cliques. I was grateful that she wrote about this subject, because for a little while now I've thought I was just being paranoid and only imagining things.
I've had my feelings hurt by a couple bloggers recently who pulled the 'Clique-thing' on me. I never was in any cliques in school and didn't hang out with the popular crowd at all, preferring to remain under the radar. So, blog pettyness and cliques are so confusing to me.
I've noticed that for some bloggers it seems to be all about building up their readership. For me, I just want to get to know some of my readers better and share my world with them, if they are even interested. lol! I don't go out of my way to entertain my visitors. I just write and post what's on my heart or about what is going on around the ranch or what I see while I'm out exploring my beautiful state.
If anyone ends up being entertained then it's only by accident. lol!
And there are even some bloggers that act one way in Blog World, but act totally different in the Real World. And that breaks my heart.
Then there are some bloggers who pull the old double-standard thing, especially in regards to politics or beliefs. If you disagree with their choices, and you speak in favor of your own beliefs, then, no matter how chummy and how much 'BFF' baloney they've been layering on you, they dump you cold turkey (ugh. And right after Turkey Day, too. sorry. lol!)
It's silly. And ironically, much like Kindergarten. "Oh. You don't like purple?" "Then you're not my friend!"
Well, what if they had never known you don't like purple? What if you had never spoke up about your dislike for purple?
What a sad world, even in Blog World, when you have to be fake, make up stories, or agree with everyone, just to make friends.
And I'll be an open-book here and share that I'm just not very thick-skinned, so my feelings get hurt quite easily. It's such a confusing thing for me. I don't get female cattyness. I think I'm missing some estrogen or something. The people who really know me, know that I'm the real thing. I'm honest, straightforward, and as real as they come.
So, right now I'm just going with the flow and blogging for myself. And I'm having fun, too. I also really do hope that all of my friendly, fun, and faithful readers that have been following along this past year are enjoying my blog, too.
Thanks for sticking around, my friends. I appreciate every visit and comment you make here. Hugs to you all!
40 comments :
I don't have any of those fancy water heaters although I really should look into it. When it gets really cold-remind me to turn off the water this year so I don't get a broken pipe!- I have to haul hot water from the house or just break the ice. Luckily, it warms up quickly here in sunny New Mexico.
Blogging- it's like a whole new community isn't it? Of course, I don't have any of the traffic you get. Which reminds me, please help me get the tracker set up when you are feelng better and have some time on your hands.
Hope you are feeling better-haven't seen you for a while-going through letterboxing withdrawals!!
I'm sorry that you've had some bad blogging experiences. I read Meg's post (and your comments INCIDENTALLY). I think its sad. I have had this problem in a very small way. I just try to IGNORE the IGNORANT cliqueyness.
Now on to ICE. If you don't want to put a tank heater in BD's black bucket try putting in a slab of wood. When it starts to freeze you move the wood around (wiggle?) and the ice breaks up.
Works pretty good in large stock tanks that don't have a source for an electric heater.
And I just have to say it but what a good post on "ice ice baby." (sorry I'm a dork I can't help myself! lol)
You forgot the Ice cream. He He HE. I don't have to worry this winter my chickens are happy campers in a real camper at a friends. So icky sticky Ice is not on my list.
Hope you are feeling better. We had a bit of snow yesterday but its all gone now.
Have a great day.
Grammy
I use I think the same bucket you have in Baby Doll's stall--I just keep it filled up all day...I don't know anything else about heaters.
I know what you mean about blogger cliques.
I will keep reading your blog! I like it! :)
I is for Iris.
Lisa, I love your blog! Hope you are feeling better soon. I am sorry to hear that you had to experience an insincere person on your blog. Keep up with just being yourself; we love you just the way you are!
Linda M
I've been dreaming of those lovely electric buckets, but alas, they are way, way down on the list of things to get.
For the outdoor tanks in the pastures by the barn and house, we use those heaters you screw into the bottom of the Rubbermaid tanks. They work really well.
For the back pastures where there's no electricity, we usually just bang a small hole in the ice. We've found this small hole method works much better than breaking up all the ice and throwing it out. These are large (100-200 gal tanks) so the heat of the water sort of helps keep it warm.
Cndcowgirl, I'm thinking I'll give the wooden slab trick. Just a whack on it and there's a hole in the ice Great Idea!
I don't have an ice problem very often. I know the ultimate ice warrior is Pioneer Woman's hubby---he open their ponds for the cattle with an ax. Bbbbrrrr!
I hope I haven't done anything to make you feel badly. I know we believe differently, but I am one of those people that believes it's okay to 'agree to disagree' and still be fine friends.
I is for Icicle
Hey Lisa, I deleted my comment, I know you recieved it, but if the you-know-who I told you about, is searching for me and visiting blogs I follow, which she IS, then I would rather not appear tacky like she is...know what I mean??? LOL
We are very lucky with our water sources for the horses. As of this year we got heated waterers in the barn and out in the paddocks. The only bucket we have to worry about is Sweetie's, since we are now using the grooming stall for her. How did this happen? 6 stalls-7 horses. They all wanted to come in at night.
I'm sorry I don't know what you mean about the blogging folks that hurt your feelings, I must have missed something along the way. I guess I'm like you I have never been catty and never been the bell of the ball in school either, so I don't participate in nonsense. People need to grow up and live and let live. We're all different, but that's no reason to be petty. Hope whoever gave you a hard time realizes that we're all blogging for fun.
interesting post...and yes, i sense that as well. i am new to blogging and like other ventures in the internet world i immediately saw there were those who thought they were .... and the rest of us be danged...
i enjoy reading about other people's days and interests, i enjoy the variety in life...isn't that what makes it interesting after all? and, i enjoy stopping by and reading your blog...thanks for your post and thanks for stopping by my blog now and then...it is appreciated by me :)
have a great week...will check in again this week.
until then.
take care.
Very Funny! I is easy. Around here, it is ITCHY! My horse, even though not in hard work, get a partial clip. He grows enough hair to keep warm in Austria. It's overkill here in Silicon Valley! He gets sweaty and ITCHY in the hair. I clip it off and it gets in my clothes and makes me ITCHY.
Ice in the water? I remember we had that one day a couple years back!
Go ahead, hate my guts. I'll be thinking of you guys all freezing your butts today as I pay my $560 board bill.
I've noticed the clique thing too. I was never popular or in a clique and it bothers me that I'm still not LOL. Like you, I blog for me and if others read and like it that is great. I feel like I've met some great people through blogging but I guess you don't ever know. I am exactly who I am in my blog. I try to ignore the clique stuff, but sometimes my feelings do get hurt when I'm excluded.
I don't think I had an I word in my last comment. This is hard! I is for the incredible winds we have here.
Hi Lisa,
Over at the barn where I work, we will occasionally deal with Icy buckets. Our solution? Just keep providing fresh, warm water. Means a lot of lugging around of heavy water buckets. Ugh...thanks for reminding me of one more reason why I don't like working there during the winter.
I've really been enjoying your posts and it's easy to see that you wear your heart on your sleeve. From what I can tell you're a sweetie.
I generally speak my mind and, especially 'on paper' it can come across as harsh. I sincerely hope I've never been the source of unhappiness for you.
I write for myself too and I've been trying on different voices, exercising my writing muscles, and having some fun with it. I do love getting visitors though and truly enjoy the comments I get.
You always leave very thought filled messages for me and I enjoy hearing your perspective.
Meg's post totally struck a note with me too! The blogging community, like any other type of community, has people in it, and we all know how cruel human beings can be to each other!
I have also seen where bloggers present themselves as being one way, but then act in a completely different manner in "real" life.
I don't get that!
That is one of the reasons that I did my last post...to show that I am far from perfect...lol!!! Can you imagine if I labeled a post "Today I Hate My Husband," and then wrote about our last disagreement?? LOL!!! Naw...I just keep that stuff to myself or share it with "live" (vs. computer)friends, and in your case, with you!!!
You know that I love you blog, and I promise that I am the same person in real life, as I present myself to be on my blog...just a little more real...lol!!!
Oh gees...I forgot to post a word with the letter "I!!!"
How about INTERESTING? We are all interesting INDIVIDUALS...lol!!!
PS-you have aggravators and instigators too??? I get so sick of using those words to describe my kidlet's behavour...lol!!!
Sadly, we have fewer and fewer creatures to water over winter. We've down to one Icy chicken waterer and one Icy birdbath that we keep by the bird feeder.
Inasmuch as I did some political blogging, I lost some of my group of regular readers. Some, I just go ahead and read and comment on because I like them and their blogs, and some, I just let go withought a thought.
I think you're right...write about your interests and you'll connect with the people who share them...you have a much larger following than I ever had:)
Sorry to hear that you have had some bad blogging experiences. I haven't been around much online lately, so I'm kinda oblivious.
I like reading your blog for who you are and the cool things you write about that are different from where I live...
Hope you find a solution to BD's water tank - Cdn's idea of a piece of wood floating around is a good one!
Hmmm... I have not encountered that yet in blog world - but my time here is severally limited by other factors in my life - plus I think the circle of friends I mingle with is fairly small - maybe if I branched out a bit I would see what you are running into. I am sorry none the less :( it seems petty and counter productive to blogging to behave like that.
I think we all blog for different reasons - you are welcome on my blog any day, with any opinion. I feel remaining open minded while blogging and in life is so important. For example if I had never met you through your blog and mine I would continue to be using my crazy...er...diffe....no that's not it either....unique! Yes my unique, inlaws as my only example of people who Home School. After getting to know you I know that not everyone who home schools is like that. I now know that complete normal - non paranoid people choose to home school and do a good job of it too!
Being open minded expanded my world to other possibilities and new friends. Perhaps some day down the road others will learn that lesson too. In the meantime - I hope you don't feel too bad, cause we all love you!
And about ICE - I think that all the different solutions to it is so interesting... We use stock tanks for watering up here, so we also use stock tank heaters in the winter to keep the ice off - actually we use 2 heaters, because I try to keep the water at 45 degrees F - or warmer, to encourage the horses to drink as much as they need.
Winter gets so cold here (I have seen it as low as -55 degrees F here and that's without the wind factored in) that if we don't do that it puts them at risk for choke and colic. I mean who wants to drink freezing cold water when its already freezing cold out.
Ice - we've been having that in troughs lately too!
I is for ... imagination. As in, creativity. I love your blog b/c you always have something interesting, informative, and fun going on!
Keep writing and let the rest go.
Sorry this has happened to you. So far I have not encountered any cliques but I did have one blogger totally shut me out for some reason and that really hurt. It left me confused because I really liked her and thought we were getting along well. I have no idea what I did to make her mad, but, oh well, life goes on. No ice here in AZ. Stay warm there. Thanks for visiting my blog.
Well, as you know, I don't keep my horse on my own property, but where I board, the person who takes care of the horses HAD a water heater. But since there are many racehorses and YOUNG horses there that like to play with things, it quickly was played with, damaged, and trashed. There was a situation with a lot of money spent on a little water heater (the submergible kind like you're looking into) and quickly, the $ went right down the tubes. Then, _______ just ended up hammering the ice out of the water buckets ever day or so. And since the horses are just turned out in the day time this time of year, _______ doesn't have to fill and "ice away" the water buckets as often now. For, the horses are only out 5(?) hours or so.
Although, it really is you desicion, and depends on if Baby-Doll will chew on it or play with it. Or, of course, if you just will put up with all the prodding and hammering of this evil, solid, cold material that covers our beloved black and blue waterbuckets. No matter how loved they are, I'm afraid it doesn't change the weather....... I wish....
Best Wishes,
~xoxoxoxoxoxoxolyd
I don't have anything special to keep ice from forming. Well, I guess I do--my hubby! He goes and breaks ice for all the critters. If we had electricity, perhaps we could have a snazzy bucket like you.
Sorry you've been feeling sad. I think you're terrific!! :)
Happy blogging.
I is for inviting - and I'm inviting you to come over to my blog to pick up an award - I missed all the blogging clique stuff that you're talking about since I've been out of touch the last couple of weeks, but there's no good reason for anyone to make anyone feel left out- so ignore them and just hang out with us. Ignore - it's another i word. BTW, I dream of buying two of those thermal water buckets that don't ice up but don't require any electricity - have you checked those out?
Wow can I ever relate to what you've written today! The whole "clique" thing is hard for me to understand too. I removed a few from my list who actually made me feel the way I felt in high school when the popular girls snubbed me. How rude! And it isn't an outright "Go away!" It's very subtle and makes you feel like something isn't quite right about you but you don't know what. You're wearing the wrong clothes, your hairstyle is "out", you don't wear shoes with the right label, ad nauseum.
I thought it was just my imagination so I'm very relieved to find out that that isn't the case at all! Thanks so much Lisa!
Lisa,
Ignore them. There are people in this world who are not happy unless they're tearing someone down. I guess it makes them feel bigger.
You've got a lot going for you and those who appreciate you and your words are all that matter.
We have one 40-gallon tank for our two (soon to be three) horses and I use a floating heater in it. Here's one web site that sells it:
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=82630&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=0D94D507ACF64713BD9147F1A076D172
Sorry about the long address.
Regards,
Dan
I is for Incredible Blog!! I don't remember how I found your blog, but I lurked a while before I finally commented. And now I feel like I miss something if I don't read everyday!! LOL!!
Well, as you know I think 40 degrees is freezing!! LOL!! But I don't remember what I did when I lived in Ohio? I was always at a stable and school was heated. Spoiled, right? :)
And I thought I was just imagining all the cliques too!! I told my sister about it and she just thought I needed to get a life!! LOL!! I love reading other people's blogs. I think it has helped me open myself up to new ideas and new friends.
Oh, did you ever watch the Princess Bride, when the short man would say, "Inconseevable!!" Okay I totally spelled that wrong. :)
Hope you are feeling better soon, and your photo editing is very impressive!!
I is for the IDIOTS that hurt your feelings. Hey, guys, get you stuff together!
Ice is not a good word for me, I prefer no ice!
PS: I love your blog, so keep on being yourself.
Incredible that someone would hurt your feelings on purpose. I've been blogging for myself since 2005 and I'm too dense or self assured to allow pettiness to bother me much. I don't know if I've encountered "cliques" other than in one blog with lots of followers who were just terribly mean commenters. I just don't read that one anymore.
I enjoy getting my alerts that you've posted along with some others that I follow.
We only get a little ice maybe once or twice during the winter which is just fine with me. I leave a trickle of water running all the time in our trough to keep the water fresh and to allow it to puddle some.
Hello there little blogging buddy Lisa in New Mexico, wow! that's a mouthful! I have never used any kind of heating device, but then again, we don't freeze up very often, but when we do, it's the ice pick or the hammer or you know, whatever's handy. :)
I think if it did freeze up a lot, I'd be kind of neurotic about the heating element in water thing - you know, I could envision Ladde chewing the electrical cord and electricuting himself and probably the others too - he's a pain sometimes. But, maybe I just worry too much... and about the other thing, I too am overly-sensitive about most things (probably hormonal too) and get my feelings hurt easily. Not much you can do about that, is there? I like you just the way you are. I like reading your blog and appreciate that you use the mind that God gave you and speak up when you have something to say. I always tell my friends to stick around and eventually I'll piss you off! LOL - it's true, I can't seem to help it - open mouth and insert foot - that's me! But...if they're real friends, they will forgive me because I never intentionally hurt somebody else's feelings. When I do, I always tell them that I'm sorry - and mean it. And this is the important part - forget it! So...if I have any advice for you on this subject it's this...let it go. You can never please everybody even part of the time. Be you; because that's the only you worth getting to know.
(((((hugs)))))
Lorie @ C-ing Spots in Oregon :)
I'm a copy cat!
I have two de-icers, because I only have two outlet sockets. The indoor troughs get iced over, so I take a hammer to them. Bombay has always been good about breaking his own ice with his hoof, but the girls need everything to be done for them. I'm not looking forward to freezing temps.
I is for I have to go P now. I'll read your next post when I return.
Holy cow! First, about the icy buckets, that was clever.
Second, about the blogging things, I have no idea what that is about. I THINK I can sort of imagine it because of other types of blogs I have visited, but I don't run into it much in my main circle. I feel like the people who read me are sincere, and most people I read are not looking into the readership thing. I know I am not or I wouldn't post such an eclectic mess! Anyway, I am sorry you're running into this, and I know what you mean about the estrogen. I like women better after blogging than I used to, but I still understand.
As for you, you have the right attitude. Do it for you. There are people (like me) who will love what it is. I love that you live in the country and have a strong family life and post about it.
It's so interesting that in a world where you may never meet the people you "talk" to, it's so easy to either be what you wish you were, or meet people who are not as they appear. That stinks that there are people on here that totally blast others and rude. It's so easy to ignore those who either do not share your opinions or do not have the same interests, Instead of being rude and mean, people should be taking the time to learn what they don't know. Like about chickens :) I knew nothing about them, but you totally educated me on them! And I love it. I still don't want chickens, but I now know more about them.
I have three dogs at home that stay outside all day. They get one big black trough under a spout coming out of the house. I go out every few days and break up the ice and refill it. I would so LOVE to have a heated bucket. But for now I settle on the black trough and a smaller bucket that I bring in and set out every morning and night. I'm getting good ideas from other people's comments though! I too love your blog and will keep reading it.
I just whack the ice with a hammer and wait for it to thaw...and around here that is usually in a few days. We are lucky to not get much cold weather.
Now about the blogging thing I feel I must comment...I have not really experienced any clique problems because I don't read many blogs and try to remember that as much as I think I know the bloggers they really are strangers. People blog for a lot of reasons and read blogs they like and feel comfortable with. I think you made a choice to write about a few things that you felt strongly about that made a few people uncomfortable and I must admit that I was one of them but I can disagree with you and still be your friend...some people can't, I guess. It's a fact that you will lose friends when you express strong feelings but your true friends will stay.
It's your blog. You can write what you want but it is out there and people will react...good or bad. You must have known that people would be offended so don't worry about it. It is exactly like high school.
You may want your blog to be about your thoughts and everyday happenings and I may want mine to be about funny stories and building a following and frankly mommy blogs bore me to tears but thank goodness everyone is different.
This calls for a little goat therapy. Take a lawn chair and set it in the goat pasture and watch and pet the goats for 1 hour. They are your true friends.
I've been noticing some blog cliques too and it really makes no sense at all. Who cares anyway? To have a blog clique is to have air, these blogs are called Web Logs, not hang out with the cool kids clubs. They are for their writer mostly and for anyone who has an interest in what is being written! So, that's one reason I have recently put up my newest banner, blogging without conditions (or something like that... my mind went blank). My blog is for me and my family, a "weblog" of what Mud Ranch is up to and a creative outlet for me. I enjoy your blog very much and am glad you're sharing what is going on in one of my favorite states. I love learning about the things you write about... From one thin skinned person to the next. We'll stick together. ;) LOL
~Joan
IGNORANT and selfish people always try to ruin the lives and hopes of others. Don't let them bother you.
Just look at all of these comments from people who ENJOY reading your blog and are THANKFUL for every word you write and picture you post.
As your bloging friend I promise:
If your happy, I will feel your Joy.
If your sad, I will do my best to cheer you up.
If you slip and fall, I will laugh my butt off while trying to help you up, and end up joining you on the ground.
IGNORANT and selfish people always try to ruin the lives and hopes of others. Don't let them bother you.
Just look at all of these comments from people who ENJOY reading your blog and are THANKFUL for every word you write and picture you post.
As your bloging friend I promise:
If your happy, I will feel your Joy.
If your sad, I will do my best to cheer you up.
If you slip and fall, I will laugh my butt off while trying to help you up, and end up joining you on the ground.
BTW I use the hammer method. And end up buying LOTS of drinking buckets. ;)
I is for Icky Ice...and we have lots of it here in E OR.
In my barn I have the 16 gal heated buckets you have. I like them because they don't use a lot of wattage. But, I have to refill them every day when the horses are stalled. I only stall 3 of my 7 horses and they are only stalled at night when it's snowing and/or raining real bad. They have runs attached to their stalls too. Most often they're out in pastures.
Everyone else has shelters available. Those pastures have the Rubbermaid tanks with the screw-in heaters at the bottom. They're the best. Stay away from the floating de-icers. The horses just pull them out and they're not safe.
But, access to electricity is obviously mandatory for the tank heaters. We got lucky and the previous land owner put electric in with the water lines! Good planning.
There are some new types of non-electric things available. This post from BrownEyed Cowgirls is one of them: http://browneyedcowgirls.blogspot.com/2008/11/and-not-drop-to-drink.html
Now, as I commented on Meg's post:
Live from the heart...Love from the heart...and Blog from the heart.
Keep doin' what you're doin'...I like it!
Post a Comment