Thursday, December 18, 2008

Y~is for Yin and Yang

Everything has its counterpart; one half of anything is meaningless without the other. There is an active and passive element to every principle. Seeing only pure light and hearing only constant sound serve us no better than being blind or deaf. It is the darkness from which we discern the light, the silence from which arise the sounds that allow us to give those sensory experiences their shape and meaning.
For example, the concept of night has no meaning without the concept of day, the concept of up has no meaning without the concept of down.

I'm someone who appreciates black and white, dark and light, and I enjoy learning about all people; their traditions, religion and ideas. Though I consider myself a Christian, I don't permit myself to live 'in a box' or allow myself to be close-minded about other's beliefs or opinions. The following video opened up my mind to some of the truths behind the symbolism of Yin and Yang. Especially how life is full of balance and that there is good and bad in everything. Take a moment to watch. At the end, the girl tells a wonderful story about how a horse escaping from the barn brought good fortune to a farmer.
Something similar has happened to my own family, too.

When we bought this house we weren't aware that there was another house, on our road, with the same address as ours. Apparently it was built as a 'mother-in-law' type of residence, in addition to the main house. But it was given it's own address, which matched ours.
We've discovered this can be a bit of an annoyance, and even a danger. We've had countless delivery people drop off packages at the wrong residences. Repair people doing actual repairs at the wrong place, too. We've had pest control trying to spray our house, when we never ordered it. We've even had our septic tank pumped by mistake. But we've also had the ambulance going to the wrong home....both for the eldery lady in the other house and for me, when I was recently sick, too. Thank goodness both events weren't life threatening, or it could have been very serious.

Recently, Ranchman John and I got a bee in our bonnets to suggest to our neighbors that they change their address. We were all set to head over there and then we found a $600.00 fuel bill, attached to our tank, from a propane company that gave us a fill-up....that we never ordered.
Yup. They delivered the propane to the wrong house.

When we called the company to complain, they told us that New Mexico has a law that restricts propane companies to only filling tanks that they have contracts with, and since we didn't have a contract with their company, they weren't permitted to charge us, and we were allowed to keep the propane. "Merry Christmas" they said.

Life is full of Yin and Yang, don't you think?

Have you experienced any Yin and Yang moments in your own life?

If you are interested in learning more about Taoism and the concept of Yin and Yang, you can read the 'Abolition of Man' by C.S. Lewis. He suggested the Tao as an ethical system for our times. Lewis seemed to see Chinese Taoism as a universal ethical umbrella - one that would include Christianity as well as other religions.

Happy Holidays!



24 comments :

cdncowgirl said...

Great post Lisa... I think we all need to remember their is a delicate balance in nature and to appreciate the bad and its lessons as well as the good. Of course that can be easier said than done.

"Y" = YEARN

Anonymous said...

Yust Yumping over here to tell you I participated in Your Christmas Questionnaire... Yave a Yine Yay! (That's a "fine day!") :D

Christy said...

The Yin/Yang symbol is my son's favorite. He collects things with that symbol. I identify us as Pagan-Buddist, so we are familiar with the story in the video. It is one of my favorites and I remind Logan of it often when he thinks something bad has happened. You can never tell what is bad and what is good.

C-ingspots said...

Hi again, boy I've been gone for a few days and I've missed a lot. I just love that photo of your two llamas, it's so cool! And I caught the pics of your house - love it!! It's so very different from any houses around here. Very deserty for sure! Your colors speak to me of the desert and the warm and sunbaked earth. Too cool! Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say hello and tell you thanks for your kind words and thoughts on my blog the other day. I appreciate you and your kindness very much. I guess we all have our bad days and that one was a doozy. Cried more than I thought I should since it's been 3 years, but time has no relevance to me...I just miss both my mom and my dad, and there's just something about this time of year that gets to me. Maybe it's the lack of sunshine! You think? But, with friends like you and several others that I've met through this blogging thing - (who woulda thought?), I'm feeling much less lonely. So again, thank you so much Lisa...hugs to you and Merry Christmas!!
p.s. I believe that many of the "bad" things that happen to us in life are but lessons to give us strength for trials that we must face in our future. Hence, what doesn't kill you, only serves to make you stronger. True words, but sometimes hard to face.

Egghead said...

Lisa a wonderful post. I have to admit although Christian I am a person who loves to study and read about all sorts of faiths. Taoism is one that I feel comforted by. I absolutely love that photo of your llamas. Beautiful.

Gail said...

What I want to know is how you got your llamas to pose. Is that cinema magic or did you just get lucky?
Y is for yummy...all the Christmas goodies.
Wonderful informative post.

Mellimaus said...

Wow, that was cool...haha, that's a funny story, the fuel tank story, lol. God blesses us in many different ways.

Y is for YESTERDAY there were only two days left to this contest. Today there is one day left! YEY!

The names of people who did it will all be put into a bowl/w/e and picked, right?...or is the first to comment with all the subjects?

Andrea said...

What a blessing of having the addresses being the same! yes, a Merry Christmas. What a great suprise!!!

I love your new signature, it's great!!

Y is for Yo-Yo, my son wants one for Christmas. And I don't have any fun stories right off the top of my head.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a wonderful present from the propane company! I'm so happy for YOU.

PS- I love the llama photo!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The llama heads make a great yin-yang image. You, know if "llama" weren't spelled with two l's, it would be yama.

Leah Fry said...

Y is for Yule. Merry Christmas to You and Yours!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Lisa, you have outdone yourself. This is an outstandingly beautiful post. I absolutely love the photo of my Llamas...oops...did I say 'my'...?

I'm an open minded Christian as well. From my perspective, it's kind of how it's supposed to be.

I love C.S. Lewis. Thank you for the book referral. I will definitely check it out. One of my favourites of his is The Screwtape Letters. Fabulous concept and very provocative.

I bought myself the box set of The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff and I'm looking forward to reading those.

Much love to you,
Carolynn

GreyWolf said...

YOU have a great eye for photography. Ying Yang Llamas are pretty. Maybe you should keep the same addresses for LUCK.

Melanie said...

Y is for YIKES!!! I had no idea that we had similar views on Christianity. Well...maybe I could tell a littlee...teeheehee!!!

This was an excellent post that reminds us that religion should be inclusive and not exclusive. While I do believe that there is only one God, I also believe that he means many different things to many different people of many different cultures.

Now...however did you get that shot of your llamas??? Fabulous, Lisa, just fabulous!!!

About my post...how could I have forgotten about the brownies??? I knew that I liked you for some reason...lol!!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

CDNCowgirl,
Thanks So very true :)

MudRanch...you totally crack me up. Thanks for the giggle, my friend.


Christy, I think that's so beautiful that Logan see the world in that way. Such a liberating way to live, eh?

CingSpots,
I hear ya, my friend. I'm right there with you, and I've got your back,too. You're so very welcome.
I must be as strong as steel with the trials and tribulations I've survived. I'm one tough cookie! lol!

Vonda,
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my post on Taoism, too. Aren't llamas beautiful?

Hi Gail,
I just got very lucky, I suppose. This stupid camera I'm borrowing, because my special one got stolen in October, doesn't have a viewable LCD screen. So I never know just what photo shots I'll end up with. I just snap photos and then upload them on the computer and hope or the best......And I thought this photo was very very cool, too!
How perfectly aligned they were. I don't think I could have used any photo editing software to get that same appearance.
Thanks for noticing :)

Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Mell,
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed me sharing our tank story. Funny how things work out in the end, eh?

This may sound like a lot of work, but I want to be fair. After I do the letter 'Z', the next day, I will make a post for everyone participating to post a comment including all 26 days of Alphabet subjects. I won't approve any of the comments for at least 2 days so everyone gets a chance to enter their subject answers.

And then I'll go back through the comments from the past 26 days and match up everyone, to make sure that a comment was left each day.

And finally, I'll take everyone's name that passed the test (lol) and write them on a pice of paper and draw the winner!!

The winner will be announced Monday December 22!!

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Andrea, Thanks. Sometimes it's great how things work out in a positive way, isn't it?

Thanks Val. Now I'm wishing for something really big and wonderful to happen for you, too, my friend!

Nuzzling Muzzles, Actually, with the useage of two 'll's' the word llama does become 'yama'. That's the Spanish was to pronounce llama. And anytime two ll's are used it make a 'ya' sound. Such as tortilla, armadillo, etc.
I actually prefer the Spanish version myself, but most non-llama owners get too confused. lol!

Thanks Leah. The same to you, too!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thank you Carolynn, I'm so glad you enjoyed my post, too. Funny that you mentioned the Tao of Pooh, as I gifted that to one of my best friends about 10 years ago. How ironic! :)
I'm glad you love my llamas, too.

Aww, I appreciate you saying that Grey Wolf. I love taking photos and playing with perspective and angles. I was just so lucky with this photo, though.
This borrowed camera from H+ll doesn't have a working LCD screen so I just snap photos and hope for the best. When I uploaded this onto my computer, I was plesantly surprised! :)

lol! Melanie, It does seem like we do have much in common, doesn't it. I just wish we lived closer. I have a feeling we'd never get tired of hanging out together and riding our horses. But I do think my jaws would start to hurt from all of our giggling :)

I just got very lucky on the llama photo :) Mmmm...brownies!

~Lisa

ezra_pandora said...

Awesome picture of the llama's. See, the camera is crappy and frusterates you, but you get b-utiful pictures. lol

They say everything happens for a reason. We usually hope they are good reasons of course.

Yay for mess ups!! lol So did you decide not to go ask the neighbor to change their address then? After that I would have definteily thought twice.

Gone2theDawgs said...

Lisa, great rendition of yin/yang with your llamas! I am a firm believer in the balancing of our universe/lives. This was an exceptional post on understanding it. I'll have to check out that C.S. Lewis book too, as I have been a fan of his since childhood...a long, long, time ago! :)
Glad you got that great Christmas present from the propane company!

gtyyup said...

An excellent post...as usual...forever the teacher aren't you?!? ;~)

Y would be for yellow...the color of the sun...oh for a warm beach with lots of sun!

billie said...

What an absolutely wonderful post! I enjoyed it so much, and I have also meant to tell you that I love your signature line. What beautiful writing.

The only z word I can think of is my daughter's favorite computer game.

Zoo Tycoon!

Linda G. said...

Yin/Yang! A lovely choice and wonderfully thoughtful post. I hold same basic philosophy as you do.
Love the llama photos especially the black and white. Very artistic!

Mikey said...

Love that picture! Good post!