Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm not Chicken!

Thanks to those of you who recommended that I bring some of my critters into the house for a visit. I thought it would be too messy, too much of a hassle, too whatever. But I'm glad I did. It really cheered me up and made me smile. My twinlings participated in the critter visit and gathered up a couple chickens to bring inside. This is Kipper, one of our Heritage Breed chickens, a Speckled Sussex.It has been 3 weeks since I touched my chickens. I don't think I realized how much I missed them. Please ignore the dirty hair and double chin. Laying down for a photo is not the best position for an attractive photo. gah. And I haven't washed my hair or had a shower for a week. Ewww. But isn't Kipper pretty? Looks like she's trying to peck me, but she was actually very sweet. I enjoyed my chicken visit so much and was sad when they went back outside again.
Rhoda the Rhode Island hen wasn't so sure about being inside. I think she thought we were hiding an axe or something. She finally did calm down and seemed to enjoy the petting and cuddles, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a couple thank you's to dole out, too.
Tammy of Wrensong Farm sent me some goodies. Some yummy chocolate, some cute and friendly cards (my favorite is the card showing Tammy on a trail ride), and a beautiful calender produced by her friend Tara Felder of Western Views about her beautiful horses and her life in Okanogan County in Washington.

And Christy over at Farm Dreams has been a dear bloggy friend this past year and she sent me that cute little ladybug that she hand-crocheted, just to make me smile. She previously sent me the cutest little hand-crocheted eggs for me to treasure, too. Thank you Christy! You guys are the best!

Here's a couple pages from the calender. Each page shares information about Tara's horses and their pack trips. My beautiful calender is even signed and numbered (99/250). Makes me feel special to be given this, especially since, for some odd reason, I didn't receive any calenders for Christmas. I usually get more calenders than I have wall space for. But most of all I just love this horse calender because of it's more personal nature. Thanks Tammy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've even got a few awards to share, too!

White Lily, my beautiful bloggy friend in Australia chose me for the "Marie Antoinette: Keeping it Real Award".
I'm not quite sure of the history of this award, but it seems to be for someone who blogs honestly, 'warts and all'. Yep, this is me. lol!
And it could not be better timing...the irony of it makes me smile.
Here I was typing about my hospital experience and post surgery challenges thinking maybe it's too much info, I know I sound like a whiner.
But then I said to myself, "Self, it's my blog, and I'm just gonna keep it real"
And then White Lily goes and gives me this "Keeping it Real" award.
How cool is THAT?!
And these are the blogs I've chosen to bestow this award because they know how to "Keep It Real":
~Jocelyn at For the Love of a Horse
~Gail At the Farm
~Nuzzling Muzzles
~Mrs. Mom of Oh Horse Feathers
~jacksonsgrrl at Always there are the Horses
~Jamie at Seatbelt for my Saddle
~Mikey at The Horseshoeing Housewife
~Lytha of Horse Crazy American in Germany
~C-ing Spots Appaloosas
~Tammy of Wrensong Farm

~~~~~~~~~~~
And my cowgirl friend Karen, at Life at the Rough String gave me this award for being able to read her rather lengthy, but enjoyable and exciting post about her up and coming buckle-winning horse, Colt. Truly, Karen could be wordy anytime and I'd read every word. She's just that good.

~~~~~~~~~~~

And last, but certainly not least, my funny, talented and interesting friend Gail At The Farm chose to give me this fun blog award.
And I choose to bestow it onto ALL of my blogger friends that left me a comment in my LAST TWO POSTS, which I am calling "Lisa's Darkest Moments".

You all just knew the perfect things to say to cheer me, lift my spirits, support me in my saddness and frustration, and make me feel cared for and not alone. You gave me wonderful advice and ideas to make this time a little less painful and trying, and you made me laugh and cry...and it was all good.

To me, you are all Blog Stars. You came into my life and shone your twinkly light on me, to brighten my darkest moments. Thank you my bloggy friends. Love and Hugs to you all!!!


From the Guest Room of,


51 comments :

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That was very nice of the boys to bring the chickens to you! I'll bet they were happy to see you too.

Will it be the goats tomorrow?

Carolynn Anctil said...

Well, now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. If you can go to the barn, bring the barn to you. Excellent idea and your guests look like they were well mannered and exceptional company.

Poor little Rhoda. I'll bet she's heard the one about being invited over 'for lunch'.

Lovely calendar - beautiful photos!

Congratulations on all your awards.

BTW....laying on your back is actually an excellent position for a photograph, because you have gravity working for you! ;o)

Keep those spirits up!

Pony Girl said...

What great bloggy friends you have out there! What special cheer-me-up treats and awards you got! Wow!
What a great idea to bring the farm inside. Do you think Baby Doll will be next!? ;)
keep smiling!!

Farmer Jen said...

Great chicken visit! Lovely calendar and other gifts. Nice awards. Thanks for the comment thanks. I am glad to see you enjoying your sweet chickens. I am sure your boys were glad to help their Mom feel better too.

Andrea said...

How great of the boys to bring in some hens for you to play with. And I laughed when you wrote about the ax!! Poor hen. I am glad she got to calm down and enjoy some inside time.

And Congrats on your awards!! And I love your Rupunzel Cowgirl!! That is fun.

white_lilly said...

What great boys you have and what brave chickens you have there must be a bond there ( very funny about the axe)

It won't be long and we will see pictures of you hobbling around outside.

I would love to send you an Aussie gift(something little, not sure what) so could you email me where I can send it to you

Sue
xx

Mikey said...

Chickens in the bed!!! Oh girl I'm rolling here. ROLLING!!! Oh my... I swear, I see something new every day :) Just when I think I've seen it all, there's you with chickens in the bed. Unbelievable, lol.
Thank you for the award! That's so sweet! I shall bestow it upon others :)
You get well. What else can come in the house? Aren't llamas sposed to be good climbers? Can they reach your tower, Rapunzel?

Coloradolady said...

How fun that you got a visit from your chickens...hope that made you feel a bit better today!! Hope you have a great week ahead!

StefRobrts said...

I think if I were sick in bed a chicken would cheer me up too!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thank you for the award, Rapunzel. I've never had a chicken in my lap, but I did once have a duck in my lap and you can guess what happened. Gross. Now all you need is to sit Baby Doll in your lap so that she can break both knees, and your pelvis, and your hips, and...

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad you got to have a visit by some of your critters. Wonder if they can fit Baby Doll in there too!
Congratulations on all of your well deserved awards.
Feel better.

Gail said...

Is that Poultry Porno? Just kidding, what a wonderful ideal to bring your friends to you. Can your horse get through the door?
Keep getting better!

jacksonsgrrl said...

That's great--chickens in bed! We are getting chickens out at my friend's ranch and Miles (my son) is sooo excited cause he gets to pick one out--whichever one he want--from the catalog and then when they arrive you pick them up at the post office. Glad to see you are back to blogging!!!
--Mindy

The Good Life in Virginia said...

i think bringing the critters in for a visit was a good thing. you needed them as much as they needed you!
if you email me your address i will drop you a line via snailmail.
good thoughts...and a prayer.

erin

Unknown said...

Chickens are cool. I never would have thought of them as pets until I experienced it myself. They were orininally for pest control in the yard, but even come when called and get picked up and petted and like it. The neighbors dogs don't come when they're called!(and from what I hear, are just as likely to poop in the house as my chickens)

Great that somebody brought your outdoor buds in for a visit. I hope they take care of me as well when I am laid up!

Mrs. Mom said...

I'm with Mikey...lol... Those chickens were not ONLY in the house, on your bed visiting with you, but they looked utterly happy about it! Rapunzel, it speaks volumes about the care you give to your critters there. ;)

I wanna see pix of them shoehorning your Baby Doll in somewhere there for you to see hehehehe

Thank you too, for the award! I really appreciate it!!

Now CHIN UP there dear girl!! Each day will make you stronger! ;)

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Thats the way to go! I can oly hope that my family would bring the barn into me if I cant go to the barn!!! I LOVED that idea and whoever suggested it is a saint! I know that when I'd down I always give my critters extra attention...the best and cheapest therapy around!!!!!! I can hear the smile in you words....soooo good to hear! :D its only uphill from here my friend!
PLEASE send me your address...you need some soap! LOL I'd love to send you a bar of my newest scent...LOVE SPELL *Victoria Secrete type* its DIVINE!!!!
Love
Rachel

Christy said...

I'm so glad you got to visit with the chickens! I knew it was a good idea. Now when will one of those sweet little goats come visit? Goat poo is easy to clean up.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that the chickens were the first to visit! I assumed it would be one of the Big Kids, but those soft feathers and lovely colors would make me smile, too. Now you just need to have hubby bring you a guest register. Can't you just see it when you're looking back on it in a few years? Chicken prints, horseshoe prints, goat prints, oh, my!

Anyway, I'm so glad it worked. I'll be thinking of you!

Nancy in Atlanta

Dan and Betty said...

Let's hear it for chicken therapy.

It won't be long until you can stand and the boys can bring Baby Doll up to the house so you can give each other a nuzzle.

Dan

Claire MW said...

Yaaaaaay!!!! I'm so excited and happy for you that your girls visited. I adore my hens and would be so sad not to be able to visit with them. Animals are so therapeutic, don't you think?! I have one speckled sussex hen and she is just like yours!

So since I did comment on your last 2 posts, does that mean I can post the star on my blog? And then I can give it to others?! What fun!

Anonymous said...

LOVED the chicken visit !!
I believe Roy Rogers brought Trigger in the house a few times....if it's good enough for Roy...well, nothin's too good for our Cowgirl Rapunzel!
By the way, she's sportin' a real mean stance in this last pic....maybe the family should bring you a few more critters (BORROWED if need be!)to visit you... just, you know, to insure their safety over the next few weeks...
Justa thought.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
Don't farm critters just cheer you up real good?
Bless your little heart. I wish I as close enough to bring you some soup.(I was going to say chicken and dumplings). Sorry Kipper and Rhoda!

Congratulations on your awards. I know that made you feel better too.

I know you can't keep a good gal down long. You'll be up and about before you know it.

Hope you have a good day.
Pam

MaskedMan said...

Sounds like a much better day than the immediately previous one!

Growing up, we used to sneak the sheep and horses into the house... That might be a bit much for your situation, though.
;-)

Laura said...

Nothing like a couple of chickens and some gifts from friends to cheer you up!

I hope that each day you get a little more comfortable. It has to get better soon. Way to hang it like a real cowgirl!

Unknown said...

It was so great to see you smile. I am so glad you got to visit your chickens!

Melanie said...

Yay!!! You are feeling better!!! Is that nasty little thing called pain starting to ebb just a bit???

You got such nice gifts/awards from your blogging buddies too!
And chickens in bed??? I can see why they may have been a tad bit nervous if it were dinner or breakfast time...lol!!!

Kohaku-San. said...

Well, We don't have horses but one of our goats can open the barn if we forget the snapthingy. Little pain. I'm glad you enjoyed you visit with your chickens. I'd give you and award but I'm far too lazy to make so I'll just tell your blog is great, and very funny.

DesertHen said...

I think the boys should bring the chickens in daily to cheer you up....=) You could have a "daily poultry hour", than they could bring the goats in too for a little "kidding" around.

Our little goat that we had years ago, loved to come in the house to visit. She even rode in my parents motorhome when we moved and she loved it. The stock trailer was full of furniture, so the goat rode in style.

Sending more (((((HUGS))) to you. Now I must get back to work.....

cdncowgirl said...

So good to hear you feeling a bit better... although if you feel the need to "whine" again go ahead.
(btw really? THAT was whiney? if that was your whiney you need more practice! lol)

Sooo, are any of the goaties going to make a house call?

Rural Writer said...

Well, that gives new meaning to having a "hen party"... glad you got to visit with some of your critters for a nice little "cheer-me-up." Looks like you got some nice goodies and awards too. Super fantabulous! ;-)

The Wades said...

You are a blogstar--even dealing with pain! I love seeing your chickens in the house. I bet that was fun for the kiddos to oblige that desire.

Hurry and get better! I want to see happy pictures of you galavanting outside. :) Love ya

lytha said...

wow, chickens in your bed! you must really love them. they do look very soft to touch. how nice of your family to go bring them in for you!

thanks for the "real" award - i have a hard time with this cuz i tend to only write cheery stuff but that's just not real so i'll try to always tell the truth in my blog, even when i have a bad horse day.

ya know what, this is the first christmas of my life i haven't received a calendar. i have this big empty spot on my kitchen wall now. my husband tells me they get cheaper if you wait, so i guess i'll wait.

i feel for you, trapped up there. keep keepin it real for us!

~lytha

C-ingspots said...

What an awesome idea!! Now, make sure you take some pictures when Baby Doll shows up in the guest room!! I want to see her snuggling with you in the bed... :)
And gosh little missy - thanks ever so much for the awards, shucks I might even be blushing!
I am going to keep you in my prayers until you are feeling all sassy again!!

Callie said...

LOL, Love the chicken visit! I thought I was the only nut out here! I've brought the goats indoors to wake up my visiting nephew and girlfriend once! Keep healing!

sugarcreekfarm said...

Aw, chicken therapy! It's the best medicine :)

Amy said...

How wonderful that you got to visit with your chooks! I think I would shrivel up and die if I couldn't pet my animals. It is so relaxing and so good for you. Kudos to your twinlings for bringing them in for a visit. I hope you make a daily event of it.

Reddunappy said...

Hey can you get a tv and vcr in there? at least movies would help!

I did say you would need the muscle relaxers, glad they are helping.

Reddunappy said...

OH I forgot, where do you get all the beautiful old western clip art? I have been looking all over online and cant find any!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Reddunappy,

I just did a Google Image Search for 'Cowgirl Pin-ups'. Found tons of 'em that way :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yes. Several of y'all recommended the muscle relaxers. Thanx!

I can't get a TV or VCR in here, but several bloggy folks suggested watching TV shows and movies right on my laptop.
Excellent idea! It really works :)

Gone2theDawgs said...

Hi Lisa, thanks so much for the "real" award. :) I'm glad you like the calendar! I thought you might.

Your speckled sussex hen is gorgeous! I swore I wasn't going to get any more chickens for a while but I might just have to get one of those!

I think you should bring your llamas in next, they would probably enjoy going into the house and would love visiting with you as much as you would with them!

Egghead said...

Nothing a little chicken therapy won't cure. I love the photos and congratulations on all the awards. I know you will be feeling better soon. Even by next week this time you will be feeling better. Hugs!

Melanie said...

Isn't Flexeril good stuff???
(Sorry...had to add that really quick!)

I know that I am being selfish and I know that you are in pain and preoccupied, but I wanted to let you know that I miss seeing your comments on my blog (selfish, I know!).

Can't wait until you are up and with "it" again! :) Just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you! :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa - have you ever watched the YouTube video about Patches the horse? This should give you ideas for visiting hour!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKj6RPYgcpQ

Nancy in Atlanta

Tammy Vasa said...

Catching up on blog reading. Felt bad when I read your Cowgirl Blues post of Jan. 10. And sure its hard to think about not riding for 6 months and hard to think about riding again, too, knowing how easy it is to get hurt, when least expecting it.

I just blogged about youth... not that I'm young, but how horses keep me young - its a state of mind. So even though you are laid up now & will be for awhile, hoping the thought of being back in the saddle, feeling alive again will get you through the long days.

Enjoyed the chicken pictures.

DesertHen said...

Lisa, Are you okay?? You have been silent for a few days. I hope all is okay?? Worried! More (((HUGS)) headed your way.......

gtyyup said...

Now I've seen it all...chickens in bed...LOL...your kids are great to help you like that...they need to bring Baby Doll to the window and let her stick her head inside for a visit...stay for a movie and popcorn!

I'm glad to hear you sounding better...keep your chin up...you've got a lot of friends at your back.

Great awards and pressies in the mail too!! WhooooHooooo!!!!

GreyWolf said...

Welcome back Lisa!!!
You are beginning to blog like your old self. Them chickens must have done the trick and what beauties they are.
Not everyone heals the same so don't get down about the slow progress.
Also ask your Dr. about Reflex Sympathetic Nerve Disorder or Cronic Regional Pain Syndrome. My wife developed this after her knee surgury. But it sounds more like they cut a nerve.
Good luck with the Painful Torture...I mean Physical Therapy.

Louise said...

You are my hero. I would NEVER post a picture of me lying down with unwashed hair. That's brave, and I applaud you!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

So, did you tell hubby that you snuck a couple of hot chicks into the bed with ya?;-)

that is too funny and cute!