Sunday, February 22, 2009

My First Real Job, and Bits of This and That


Guess what I did today?

I finally accomplished something useful and helpful around our ranch. And I definetely made a difference for some little lives. It was my first real job around our ranch since my fall on Christmas Eve. And it was the most physical thing I've done since then, too. Today was a fairly warm sunny day, and now that I'm able to stand without support and walk with only one crutch, I felt ready to take on the job.

Want a clue? What is that wheelbarrow for?
I mucked out the coop! It hadn't been thoroughly cleaned out for 3 months and we were doing the 'Deep Litter Method' as I wasn't able to clean it and Ranchman John and the kids drew the line at handling chicken poop. Needless to say, it was nasty in the chicken house, with over 6" of poop, shavings, straw, food scraps, and more poop. Just nasty!

Sid Vicious agreed. He said, "It's about time you got out here and cleaned my castle, lady!"

My one twinling, Jem, was my right-hand man and not only brought me everything I needed for mucking the coop, he also took pictures, too. He refused to scoop chicken poop or even stick his nose in there.....and I truly don't blame him. Ewww!
Isn't that the nastiest chicken house you've ever seen?!

My hens enjoyed exploring and looking for any food tidbits from everything I removed from the henhouse.

In the past I've only had to use a dustpan to scoop out the old bedding and poo, but this time I had to bring in the big guns! And even the big honkin' shovel struggled to do it's job.
It was hard work and physically demanding, especially after being so inactive for such a long time. But it felt good to be doing the jobs I used to do before I got hurt, and even better to be outside in the fresh air (well, except for the chicken poo stink!) and to be hanging out with my chicken friends.
There goes Jem with the wheelbarrow, on his way to the compost pile. I couldn't have done the coop mucking without him.
Half the coop was scraped clean after 45 minutes. Whew!
And finally after 2 hours it was looking pretty good in there.
We loaded up 4 wheelbarrows full of stinky chicken manure for the compost pile.
Then it was time to toss in the fluffy shavings and replace the feeders and nest basket.
There is just something so satisfying about seeing the end result: a clean chicken house.
And happy chickens, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally some bits of this and that.

I just have to say how thankful I am for my dear blog friends. When I started blogging over 3 years ago I had no idea blogging would be more than just journaling about my family and our experiences. Not only have I discovered many wonderful blogs that I enjoy following every week, but I've also discovered friendships along the way, too. I'm even more amazed when these friendships reach beyond the internet, through phone calls, visits and snail mail.

I've recieved so much support and encouragement from you, my blog friends, and it always seem to come at the most opportune time. Like when I'm feeling frustrated or discouraged or bored and useless. I am immensely grateful to all of you.

Last week, I received a package from my sweet friend Tammy, ofWrensong Farm. I was totally taken aback, as Tammy had already sent me some goodies right after my knee reconstruction surgery back in January. And yet again, she seemed to know that I could use some goodies and encouragement. I had a particularly tough physical therapy and was exhausted, stiff and sore.

Tammy sent me some interesting and fun books, a deck of very cool cards with different dog breeds on each card. A delicious aromatic cinnamon apple candle, a yummy gourmet raspberry chocolate bar, a lovely angora goat card, that reminds me of my Luna. And a magnet with a painting of an adorable paint foal that reminds me of the photo of my Baby Doll when she was a foal. (I included her baby picture below) Thank you sweet Tammy! You are a very dear friend.

And here's my mare as a cute little filly. She'll be 16 yrs old in April.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One last bit I'd like to share are a few goodies that I recently won from the One World One Heart Promotion. Mmore than 700 artist blogs participated by offering contests for their readers to enter. The very best contest I won was for the ACEO painting of my mare, that you see in my header. I was one of 200 entries and was thrilled to have won such an awesome prize. You can visit the artist, Morgane Antoine, at her website and see some of her artwork by clicking on the link at the top of my sidebar.

I also won some pretty scrapbooking/card-making stickers and a sachet filled with lavender scented, heart-shaped body butters.
The postcard you see below is a treat, too. It was sent by my blog friend Erin of a Good Life in Virginia. She wanted to keep in touch with me while she was on her trip to Italy. I'm so tickled to recieve mail from Italy and my thoughtful friend, Erin.


So....what did you do this weekend?


From the Tower of,

35 comments :

Paint Girl said...

That coop sure looks good when it is clean! I am sure all your chickens are very happy!
I love that photo of Baby Doll as a baby! Even though I didn't have my 2 horses as babies I do have one of my half Arab that her origional owner gave me and of course since my Paint is registered her baby picture is on her papers.
Even though I don't have a public blog (yet) I do know there are wonderful people out there, through my sisters blog and the blogs I visit everyday. It is a great way to meet new people.
Good to see you up and about, even though you had to scoop poo!

Melanie said...

Ahhhhh...the mystery of the new header is explained!!! I was wondering where on earth (and how on earth!) you found a picture of a horse that looks just like Baby Doll!!! LOL!!!

Just look at you out there cleaning that chicken coop!!! I have the same little jacket, and was surprised to see it on your blog!! :)

Heeheehee...my word verification is "dingi!"

Reddunappy said...

Great job, I am sure the chickens are very happy and there is nothing like the sense of accomplishment that you get when you can get back out, after being layed up!

Amy said...

When you've been cooped up* even something as nasty as cleaning the poo out of the chicken coop can seem like a day in the park. Nice job! Lemme know when you're available to clean mine.

*Pun intended

cdncowgirl said...

Look at that big smile on your face! Even with the smell from that coop wafting your way lol

FOUR wheelbarrows full!?! Holy moly that was a diiiirty coop, I'm sure the chickens are grateful!

Leah Fry said...

I did what I had to do as far as laundry and housework. The Boyz got a little brushing. Poco was covered with sticker burrs. I gave myself a manicure, since that was one of the first luxuries to be jettisoned with the economy. And I cooked a nice meal for Mr. Fry, with just enough left over for him to have something for his lunch at work last night.

Grammy said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. And what an adventure you took on. Have a great week.

Moms Musings said...

Congratulations! You're making progress and getting around.

Laura said...

Glad you were able to get out and do something - even if it wasn't the most pleasant task!!! It was nice to see Jem helping you also...

Love the new blog header picture! It looks really nice!

Mrs. Mom said...

YAY LISA!!!!! This is SO awesome! Look at that smile on your face- you go girl!!

Gotta say, reading this first thing on a Monday Morning after a few nights of not sleeping well has been a great *GREAT* way to get a smile going!!!

You just GO girl!!!! ;)

ChristyACB said...

Congrats on feeling good enough to get out and do stuff! That coop looks fantastic now and I'm sure your girls are hopping with joy.

That may have been nasty work, but the compost is gonna be great, right? Looking at the bright side. :)

sugarcreekstuff said...

That is a beautiful painting, what a wonderful prize.
It's amazing what a little fresh air and chicken poop can do for a gal. It's good to see you smiling.

GreyWolf said...

I know that finally being able to get out and DO SOMETHING must have felt great. And how nice of everyone to help and take pictures.

Andrea said...

Wow, that was a dirty chicken coop! I am sure all the chickens are so happy you are back out there with them. Sid is too funny!! You cleaning his castle!! LOL!!! I love Sid, he is so handsome!!

And Congrats on the painting. That is an awesome painting of your mare! I can't believe she is going to be 16!! My good old mare just turned 15 this year!! I love the old trusties!!

We trucked it to Houston this week end with some friends. It was fun. Then Sunday I played with my flea market finds!!

CTG Ponies said...

Glad you were able to get out and be around the chickens!

frolicnfibers said...

Lisa, what a fabulous blog you have! I've only read through the first couple of posts and am enjoying myself immensely! One thing I thought I'd mention...both your animals and mine can speak english...isn't it a wonderful and amazing coincidence???!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Hey, you look really good there. Glad to see you up and around.

Sadly, I worked through all but a few hours of my weekend. But, I'm pleased to report that those few hours were spent shopping! :o) Spent money like I had some.

Unknown said...

Wanted to drop you a line and say I LOVE the new colors and stuff on your blog! Very nice!

And I am glad you got outside for some manual work. Most cowgirls know this and I know you do - but there is just something truly grounding about a good days work of manual labor. I find that it clear my mind and renews my spirit, even it is not the world most fancy job. And I always feel great after wards.

I because we still have 2 feet of snow to melt off there is not much that I can do - so I can't wait for it to be gone.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

So, THAT'S how you clean out a chicken coop! Did your feathered friends get in the way or steer clear? I was wondering where you got that great painting of Baby Doll in your header.

gtyyup said...

Ugg...I hate cleaning the coop...akkkkk...but it's so good to have it done with isn't it?

I saw your header and was just WOW over it...she did a fantastic job!! Congrats on your lucky win!

ezra_pandora said...

cool!! (can't wait to send you my little goodie thing, I'm still working on it, I'm such a slacker!!)

I love your header too, it's really cute!! I'm partial to blue anyhow. Got my picture taken of me and my lovely purple handcrafted winter hat, but I forgot my camera to upload it!! I look goofy, so methinks I'm going to crop that picture a little :))

What a good kidlet to help you with that stinky work!! He deserves some extra points :)

Desert Rose said...

Glad to see you got out to take care of a few of your critters! You had a very busy weekend!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful picture of Baby Doll at the top of your blog and she was a cutie as a youngster too. As for what I did this weekend, it wasn't much but it was better than the job you had. Ewww! At least it's all clean now so it won't be too hard to keep up with. Have a good day.

Dusty Devoe said...

Always nice to get some fresh air! LOL! Love seeing pictures of your babies. Glad to hear you're getting out!

Michelle said...

To me dumping the wheelbarrow is the worst part, so having a kidlet help is great (mine is too young to manage it yet). The sheepfold is a much bigger job here; how do those little sheepies pack their bedding in as hard as concrete? But whether it is the horses' stalls, the sheepfold or the henhouse, having "clean sheets" in place is SOOO satisfying!

BTW, my horse is a Paint, too, but "breeding stock." I call him my Paint in the Witness Protection Program; hee!

Claire MW said...

WOW! Fabulous job in cleaning out the coop. I can imagine how good you felt just being outside and being able to accomplish something like that. Tremendous! You go girl!

Great treats from your blogger friends too. You are well loved!

As for what I did this weekend...well, I played with a baby goat of course! Plus sorted some fleece and bought living room furniture after having lived in our house for a whole year, but that's another story.

Glad to see you on your feet. Love that sweater by the way!

Gail said...

When you say you're going to do a job, you pick a good one!

I was wondering about your beautiful redesign. I thought it looked like your horse and I was right!

Glad you are feeling better.

Dan and Betty said...

I certainly wasn't scooping out chicken poop. My weekend was pretty quiet. We did some clean up in our courtyard - cutting plants and digging up old ones.

Other than that, pretty boring.

Dan

Christy said...

I'm glad you were able to get out and do some work. Don't overdue it too soon!

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

I love the new wallpaper on your blog. It's so pretty.

Well done on the chicken coop! You go girlfriend!

My verification word is "feeling"...and it feels good to see you feeling so well!

Egghead said...

The coop looks so much better and I bet the girls are loving it. I am glad to see you improving. It must feel so good just getting outside. Oh and Jem is a doll for helping you. I always hate hauling the poop in the wheelbarrow. Lisa you deserve all the sweet things that come your way.

Carla said...

Wow! What a big day! I'll bet the soreness you felt afterward was worth it. You got something done and got to hang out with your kiddos and animals. It's so nice to get out of the tower, huh?

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

The coop looks great! Bet it did feel good to be productive again... gosh all your goodies you've gotten make me want to go out and break a leg- totally kidding! you have gotten some very cool stuff though...
That foal pic is too cute, you are lucky to have that. You know it bugs me to know there is probably a foal photo out there of Lester that I will never see, I mean he was bred and raised by a small farm so who doesn't take pics of their foals?! Oh well.
So I take it your leg is getting better and better and no 2nd surgery???

allhorsestuff said...

I am trying to catch up some here!

OH!!! Only YOU could loose weight while sitting around recouperating! You look soooo thin, GREAT!
I bet you felt the sting of all that owrk the next day huh...but boy did that feeel great to get it cleaned!
I love mucking...yea I am a class act weirdo!
You deserve all the goodies that come your way sweet!
And you still lost weight!
Kac

The Wades said...

I never mentioned how skinny you look in these pictures! If I had to lay in bed for weeks on end, I'd get huge! How do you do it?