Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spinning My Wheel


If you read my previous post, you probably thought this post was going to be about spinning wool. Hah! It's not. (hehe. I'm so naughty!)

Well, this post is about a spinning wheel. Specifically a stationary bike wheel.
While at Physical Therapy yesterday, I was finally able to spin the pedals in a full circle, both forwards and backwards!!! I was/am so excited! This accomplishment may not sound like much. But after three long months of sitting on that bike each week, just swinging my feet back and forth and not being able to push any farther, finally watching my feet make the full circles that are normally done when riding a bike, was thrilling!
My Physical Therapist took some photos of me doing my thing yesterday. The PT facility is a cheerful place to be with walls of windows filling the space with light.
The windows open up to views of blue skies and South Mountain in the distance.
Interstate 40, the major East to West highway, provides moving entertainment, too. I never know what I'm going to see driving past the windows. Many of the semi-trucks are creatively and beautifully decorated. My favorites are the colorful Nascar trucks and Budweiser Beer trucks. I love seeing the gorgeous Clydesdales painted on the sides. One day I even saw the Oscar Mayer Weiner truck drive by. Nothing like seeing a giant hotdog covered in mustard, driving down the highway to make you smile.

All the PT therapists are friendly and fun. Most of them own and ride horses, too.
A few of them have went through knee or ankle surgeries, so they have a lot of empathy for their patients. But they are also tough and expect us to cowgirl up and work through the pain, too. Monica, my PT therapist has been supportive and encouraging to me, and she is a lot of fun, too. Laughter is always the best medicine.
After I finish my exercises, it's either time for my Electro Stimulation therapy or my deep tissue torture massage. These private treatment rooms are so calming with mood/nature music piped in.
The owner of the PT facility is a professional Reiner/Cutter/WP/QH owner/breeder competitor, so the music selection is usually country western and the walls have lots of western art, including horses. This is one of my favorite inside one of the treatment rooms.
On the way home I enjoy seeing the backside of the Sandia and Manzano Mountains. I love driving on uncrowded country roads with lots of trees and open space everywhere I look.
As a treat for my spinning accomplishment, we swung by the local Dairy Queen for one of my favorite treats: Onion Rings. Yummo! DQ uses whole onion rings, too. None of that chopped onion silliness. hah! Don't these look yummy?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But that's not all!

When I got home, Ranchman John gave me the mail and I noticed a package from my friend Erin of The Good Life in Virginia. She has spent the last couple weeks on vacation in Italy. She even sent me a postcard from Italy! How cool is that?

Well, she also sent me a package. I fell in love with the gorgeous wrapping paper and postcard. I think I will reuse it in a scrapbooking/craft/card making project one day. It's so pretty!
When I unwrapped the paper, the first thing I saw was this tag. Wow!!!!!
I was/am so surprised and in awe! My blog friend Erin sent me a beautiful cashmere scarf that she picked out just for me while she was in Italy!!! Can you believe it?! I love this beautiful, incredibly soft scarf. I don't have anything with cashmere, so this is a first for me, too. I feel very pampered and yes, spoiled!
Thank you so very much Erin! Your generous and thoughtful gift was such a special treat, especially after my PT accomplishment yesterday. (And thank you to Jackson for taking these photos of me.) I do look tired. PT always wears me out. I ended up taking a little nap with this lovely, soft scarf tucked around my neck. Ahhhh, bliss.


And I just want to add, that I know I wouldn't be where I am right now with my knee healing and recovery, if it weren't for all of you with your kind, supportive and encouraging words, cards and gifts. You have lifted my spirits and given me perserverance to keep working towards my goals.

I just want to say Thank You.

From the Tower of,


26 comments :

linda m said...

Congratulations on your fabulous accomplishment with the "bike"! Way to go "girl" :) The scarf is "to die for"!!!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

ms. lisa

you are so very welcome and it looks simply fab on you. it was a pleasure to find the perfect "color" scarf for you...and to know you will wear and enjoy it :)

and of course i am very happy to hear you are moving along with your PT. that's a good thing.

take care my e-friend and here are some ((((())))) hugs for you.

have a great weekend...

erin

CTG Ponies said...

Congrats on your accomplishment and the scarf looks beautiful!

jane augenstein said...

WOW!! You GO GIRL!! Petal that bike, you did good! What a nice place you have to do your PT, all horse stuff around you pretty neat and great sights to see too. Too funny the wiener truck going by!
What a beautiful scarf your friend sent you!!! Looks beautiful on you!
Keep up the good work, you will be back on your horse before long! :-)
hugs
Jane

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lisa! Your hard work really paid off and you'll be back in the saddle before too long!

Thanks for the photos of the P/T center - now I can picture you there when you write about it. What lovely surroundings, and those windows with the lovely views! Even the trucks provide view-worthy stuff!

The scarf is beautiful and looks great on you. I think your happy smile dissolves any tiredness!

Nancy in Atlanta

Deb said...

You have a wonderful view and a wonderful place to work on your recovery. A nice scarf from Italy and onion rings what else can a gal ask for ....

ChristyACB said...

Congrats on the Full Spin and great scarf. Looks perfect on you!

Melanie said...

Okay...I WANT that scarf...lol!!!! What a cool gift! :)

The first thing I thought when I saw the view out your PT window, was "OMG!!! Look how flat it is, and there are NO trees!!"

While I love the evergreen fir trees around here, I do miss being able to see for miles, as I could when I was a girl growing up in the farmlands of ILL.

And that picture of the horses at the salt lick??? Beautiful!!!
I am so glad to hear that you are doing well, and feeling better. Do you have a tentative riding date set for the future yet???

Caprice- said...

Lisa,
I'm very glad to hear you are getting better. It must be frustrating that its taking so long. What a great accomplishement though! You are in my prayers for a complete healing and quick recovery.
I drive I-40 quite often going to Okla. to see my son so you may have seen my little white Toy driving by (avoiding radar guns).
To answer your question- No Mariposa's yet. I think they come later in the year. That is definately what we are known for (and YNP of course) and we host a butterfly festival and other such stuff here in Mariposa County.
Have a great Thursday!
Caprice

Carolynn Anctil said...

Keep up the good work! What a wonderful surprise & great scarf. I love the sign at your therapist's.

Unknown said...

Good to see you up and about and you sound more cheerful? So I am hoping you are feeling as good as you look!

I am dragging you know what today! Blah I'm tired.

I miss my PT too - it always made me feel so much better now that I am not going that temporary relief is gone... sigh....

allhorsestuff said...

Oh Oh oh!!! Pleasssse DO think about trailering up sometime...we could really treat you right..horsey hotel(at Gem's) and Do believe you could stay there as well...AND we could take you to the beach Bay Ocean House! Okay...going back to read the rest of your comment and then come back and read all you posts!

YOu look great in that Scarf..what a nice gifting...we all need to remeber to gift each other in the good times too!
Kac

Christy said...

Awesome! I'm so happy for you. And DQ onion rings are to die for.

D. said...

I am so glad Erin sent you that
scarf - because I got to see a picture of your smile!!!!!!
Thank you Erin and Lisa - Oh, those photos of the wool are making me itch (no pun intended) to get back to my rug!!!!!
Thanks for that too!
Deanna

ezra_pandora said...

Excellent on the bike work!! I'll bet it really feels like you are starting to get closer and closer.

Oh lala on the scarf too! Looks very nice on you!!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Very purty scarf! That PT center looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, lol. Looks like a nice place though...I LOVE the DQ, I like their sprimp basket and their Choc. Extremem Blizzard-no that is to die for.
Congrats on a full rotation with your spinning wheel, I'd be excited too!

Andrea said...

Hooray, I am so excited for you and the bike riding!! That is awesome! It must be nice to have a bunch of PT folks that ride and understand what you are going through. I loved the pictures!!

And what a great scarf!! It's very lovely, and looks very warm and soft!!

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Your sweat and tears are paying off for you and I'm so happy to see that big smile on your face! I really loved the horse artwork too...how awesome! I look forward to seeing you ride again soon! keep up that hard work! You've got three cheers from me!!!!
Thanks for your comment this morning on my little Radish....I'm sad today and missing taking care of him, even though it was a lot of work. But like you said, he's got wings now and he had a happy little life while he was here!
Love you!
rachel

Rural Writer said...

Way to go Lisa! I know it's been really hard work and glad you got such a great pay-off today. You look tired but pretty in your scarf. Keep up the good work!

Dan and Betty said...

Having been through a knee surgery and a shoulder surgery - and helping Betty through her therapy after her horseback accident - I know how big small accomplishments can be.

Well done.

Beautiful scarf - looks great with your coloring.

Get some rest. You deserve it.

Dan

Leah Fry said...

LOVE the scarf, and very glad to hear you are finally making the kind of progress you've been hoping for.

Farmer Jen said...

Congratulations to you for your PT accomplishments, and my compliments to Jackson for taking some really nice photos of you. You look great, your energy and spirit shine through in the photos, and he has that special photographer "eye".

gtyyup said...

And the crowd goes WILD!!!!! Go Lisa...Go Lisa...Go Lisa!!!!!

Lovely scarf for a lovely lady~~

Chelsi said...

Awe! You looks so purdy in that scarf! It is just the right colors on you too, I think. GOOD JOB on your PT!!! That must be so exciting to know you are moving forward! Healing! Getting better!! Yayay!!!

The first pic of you on the bike is kinda funny because the bright colored balls behind you look like thought bubbles...like you are having all these wonderful colorful thoughts! LOL..I know, I'm weird!

The Wades said...

I love posts like these that show random places. Fun seeing inside the PT office. The no whining sign is great! I bet they have to point to that quite often when all the injured people they get in there. A big thumbs up for all your hard work and improvement. Before you know it, you'll be riding w/ the wind.

Scarf is lovely. What a sweet friend.

The Wades said...

And thanks a lot, now I'm going to be craving onion rings all day! Ahhhh.