My family went on a road trip last week to southern New Mexico. We traveled through towns with names like Mountainair, Corona, Capitan, Lincoln, Claunch, White Oaks, and Carrizozo.
In Carrizozo, we stopped off to find a letterbox and to explore the area where filming was recently done for a new movie, starring Denzel Washington, called The Book of Eli, which will be released in early 2010. While in Carrizozo exploring, we were enchanted to find beautiful painted burros on almost every street. Here are some of the painted burros I’d like to share with you, along with an appropriate song from my playlist. Enjoy!
Many of these burros are for sale, too. Jenna wanted to ride one. hehe!
This is 12th street where most of the movie, The Book of Eli, was filmed.
And some of the buildings, too.
And more colorful burros!
Y’all know about the connection between New Mexico and Aliens, right?
We also saw pronghorn antelope……but I’ll save that for another time.
From the Tower of,
21 comments :
We have something similar here in NC. In Cherokee they have painted bears all over the place. It's amazing, but I like the burros better.
What a unique collections of as...uh, burros.
Love the burros! Just like the painted ponies!
I wish I could have gone with you. What a neat little town.
Love it when towns have clever sculpture; especially love burros and always wanted one.
word verification - biggelys - FUNNY!
Looks like a fun trip!! I've heard of the burros before.
I like the colourful polka dot burro the best. Very cheerful.
Not a lot of people in Carrizozo....maybe the aliens got them.
How cool is that?! Seeing the antelopes! Awesome. That would have been the best part of the trip for me, I think.
LOL!!! I was thinking just what Carolynn said about the lack of people in Carrizozo, and alien abductions!!! Too funny!
I think they are all neat looking, and interesting too. Jenna is looking mighty proud of herself in that picture as well. She looks like she has really shot-up in height, has she? Glad you had a good road trip, and Eric will definitely enjoy an antelope post. :)
That's got to be a nice town to have all those sculptures and everyone leaves them alone. Could you imagine placing those sculptures around the streets of Los Angeles? They wouldn't last an hour. People would be using them for target practice for drive-by shootings.
what a neat idea with all the painted burros...love it. makes it so interesting and of course it probably is a money maker....like you can sponsor a burro and paint it how you like for x-amount? glad to hear you are traveling about again and doing things. a good thing ms. lisa.
have a wonderful day...many hugs to you my e-friend.
What a cool town! Love it, putting it on my list of places to go. White Oaks is nearby? Every time I hear that name I think of the Young Guns movie where the whore rides out naked saying "White Oaks, you can kiss my a**"
I love that part :)
Aww I like the painted burros!
My favorite is that pretty black and white one!
How much does one cost? Probably expensive huh?
How cool! My favorite is the one with the orange legs and the mountain landscape painted across his body. :o)
Wow, those are really nifty! That looks like it was a really fun visit.
Just trying to catch up with all your prolific posting! I thought of your shearing post today while running the Furminator comb through my dog's double coat.
Don't know which burro I'd pick to take home with me...they look so resigned & patient, like they're just putting up with us humans. Too cute!
(word verification: reptoid. Sounds like the aliens from that old tv show V!)
Lisa, you always have the neatest posts and see the most fantastic places!!! How lucky, I never seem to get out of the hollow...LOL
I LOVE the donkeys what wonderful art!!!
I am LOVING my laptop, am sitting on the couch watching "Dirty Jobs"; they had some Alpacas on earlier.
~Jane and Gilly~
Oh, I love the little donkey clock you have on your site! Where did you get it?
~Jane and Gilly~
Did you pick up some Carrizozo Cider? I can't imagine stopping off in Carrizozo and not picking up the Cider from the orchards. My favorite is the Rasberry and Keith's is Apple.
Gosh, i love your photos of the burros! What fun...i must go there one day.
Thanks for visiting my blog - i'm going to get the stampede off and running this week.
Yes, there was a mother's day casualty this year. At our house, Mother's day is a CONTACT SPORT. Tackle miniature golf can be brutal, but i am on the mend - just dont have much bend in the knee yet. But, i'll have you know, i finished the 18 holes and even got a birdie on several of the obstacles.
You must be doing much better if you are out and about! Will you get to do some riding this summer?
what a cool place...the burros are great!!!
How cool!! Like the painted ponies. We have painted frogs in my city because we are known as Frog Town. I have no clue why. lol But those burrows were super neat! What a fun trip. You take some cool little jaunts!
How neat and your photos are great as usual! We had painted manatees here in Jacksonville, FL as a fundraiser and now they have painted jaguars.
Post a Comment