As you all know I’ve been on a rocky road over the past 5 months. After my second fall, caused by my horse, I listed my mare for sale several weeks ago, but only had a handful of nibbles and lookie-loos. So, I decided to list the option of leasing her, too. I had one person show some interest and decide to come over on Sunday and try Baby Doll out.
This gal said she had been riding since she was 8 yrs old and had been a vaulter. She’d claimed to have also ridden many different disciplines, including English, Western, Hunter Jumper, Trail Challenge, etc.
She definitely seemed a good fit as far as an experienced rider, since I had listed Baby Doll as requiring an Advanced Confidant Beginner or Intermediate Rider.
(Here she is riding Baby Doll in Val’s arena)
She didn’t mind riding Baby Doll since I’m not able. She groomed my mare and then tacked her up. (Note: I didn’t like how roughly she brushed out Baby Doll’s mane and tail, yanking out large chunks of hair. gah! Baby Doll didn’t like it either and at one point walked away from her in the stall and refused to come back until carrots were offered.)
(Note: And at one point this gal placed the saddle blanket fleece side up with the print side down on my mare’s back. 'Weirdy’ as Lytha says. hehe! But the gal fixed it when I brought it to her attention.)
Before my injury, when I did ground work with Baby Doll in the round pen I usually free lunged her, but right before my first fall I had bought a lunge line, but hadn’t had the opportunity to try it on her, so I offered it to this gal and she ran Baby Doll through her paces. I was impressed with how well my mare did actually, because she hasn’t been on a lunge line for at least two years, probably more, but it didn’t take her long to figure things out. She even transitioned from trot to walk, and back again, smoothly and then came to a stop quickly, in both directions, too. I was proud of her.
I didn’t get any pictures of the round pen work. (But here’s another of that gal riding my mare in the arena)
I offered her the choice of using the Dr. Cook’s Bitless Bridle or the Half Breed Side-Pull with jointed snaffle and she chose the Bitless. Baby Doll was her usual stubborn self, though at least she didn’t crow-hop or kick out. She mostly just pinned her ears back and looked pissy.
She also rode like a freight train, very heavy in the front, especially at the trot and lope. She seems to do that for everyone at first, as if it’s her way to see if you really really want to go faster than a walk….showing you that she can make it not fun. But if the rider persists and makes her keep going, she eventually settles down and shows off her floaty, stretchy trot and ground-eating fast lope.
(I was glad that Val offered to let us use her arena and then joined us, riding Nadia, her 26 yr old Arabian mare)
This gal said she hadn’t ridden for a few years due to work and raising her kids, and she did seem a little bit overwhelmed with Baby Doll’s heavy front end, but she also said she really liked my mare, too, and was still talking about leasing arrangements. But of course, Baby Doll had to throw a few monkey wrenches (or rather horsie wrenches) into the mix, just to make things challenging………….(*sarcasm* Thanks Baby Doll for the whipped cream on top!)
The gal rode her in the arena for about 45 minutes, and then Val offered to take her out for a short trail ride.
My heart was aching watching them ride off, wishing it was me out on a trail ride, but it was good to see my mare being ridden and to see my friend enjoying a ride out on her mare, too.
On the way back, Baby Doll spooked at who-knows-what, a pile of debris? near Val’s barn. And she jumped sideways, similar to the way she teleported sideways when I fell the first time, but not as far. (*sarcasm* Thanks Baby Doll for adding the cherry on top!) Thankfully, that gal had no trouble staying on, though.
(Thanks Val of Fantastyk Voyage for letting us use your arena and for taking that gal out for a trail ride. You’re a gem of a friend!)
On the way back to my barn, this gal and I chatted as she led Baby Doll. I was on this gal’s left side and Baby Doll kept trying to reach her head in front of her and over to me. It was rather annoying as we kept having to stop so she could push Baby Doll out of her space. (*sarcasm* Oh thanks again, mare, for the sprinkle of nuts on top, too)
This gal brushed Baby Doll down, un-tacked her and put her back in the paddock all the while talking about the days she could ride, the possibilities of bringing her kids over to ride with her, if I’d be open to her taking Baby Doll to her place for a few days so she could ride over there, too. And also the possibility of doing a lease-to-own arrangement. She seemed rather excited and said she would call me in a couple days and would plan to come over on Wednesday and Saturday this week. But she hasn’t called, e-mailed or shown up.
Is it just me, or isn’t it annoying when someone does that? You spend all that time together and seem to get along and then they don’t even give you the courtesy of a phone call….heck, even an e-mail if they are nervous about talking to you. If she changed her mind all she had to do was tell me. I’d be less upset about that then just leaving me hanging. grrrr!
I’m not desperate to sell my mare and in fact Ranchman John would rather keep her and make her his horse. But he’d require lots of lessons first. He’s been on a horse less times than you can count on one hand. Baby Doll’s a stubborn alpha mare, but maybe Ranchman John is dominant and confidant enough to make her respect him. And it would be great if we could ride together someday, too.
I liked the idea of leasing my mare out because then someone is helping to pay for the upkeep and care of Baby Doll and she’s also getting ridden. But it’s a hassle when you spend an entire afternoon showing someone your horse and they act like they want to work something out and then either don’t follow through, or don’t even communicate with you again.
So, do you have any good horse selling stories to share?
From the Tower of,
27 comments :
I know how hard this has been on you. Be at peace -- everything will happen as it should.
No stories to share, but I sure understand your frustration. But it is a good sign that she's not the kind of person you want to get into a financial arrangement with, anyway.
So get Ranchman John some lessons, and see how he does on the little minx! Wouldn't that be the ultimate revenge, anyway? "Heh...don't want me to ride you? Try this!" You still win. :)
I once had a mare that didn't have the best confirmation but she was great to ride. My daughter and I would ride around Loop 1604 in San Antonio near traffic and I remember my daughter looking back and saying "LM has a dog hanging off her back leg". You would have loved her! Anyway, the day came that it was time to sell her. I sold her to a young girl that mainly wanted a horse to love on and brush. Perfect! LM was going to be loved. I had one stipulation. If and when they ever decided to sell her, I wanted first dibs. Keep in mind, I'm in Texas. The phone call came years later and they wanted to sell her...she was in Michigan. Of course, there was no way I could jaunt up there and pick up the horse. My story is that there are honest, caring people out there buying horses. Hang in there. You will find the right owner and don't give up on your dreams of finding the right horse for you. I can read it in your heart the longing for that bond.
Oh that's so frustrating, I agree! However, the raking of the mane/tail would have gotten to me and been a indicator wrong person...not to mention the blanket incident! I don't know why people just cannot communicate these days! An email would have been less threatening to let you know she was not interested. I've had it where people don't call (not for selling a horse but we have a rental property) back or show up then want the rental and that's when I say....no go, if they are irresponsible with a phone call for whatever reason then they'll be irresponsible with paying the rent! I agree with Flartus, they are showing you right there....not dependable and you're the one paying the bills!
First off, let me say that I am proud of you for making the hard decision to sell her. It's always hard to let something go that you love so much. I'm a firm believer that things have a way of working out and it really sounds like this wasn't a good fit. If you aren't comfortable with the way that someone handles your horse, don't question it. Your gut is trying to tell you something. She may just be what we refer to as "tire kickers" - the kind that show up and spend all afternoon doing everything they can to the horse and then don't call back. And, the horses ALWAYS misbehave when you are trying to show them off. Maybe Ranchman John can take lessons and she would be good for him. I've got my fingers crossed for you!
This will resolve itself when it is time.
Aw, I'm so sorry she didn't call back. There could be a good reason though. Maybe with the rain we've had she didn't bother... Or not. Sometimes people just come out for a free ride and that's it. I did like her though. She seemed not to be bothered by Baby Doll's little "moments". I think Baby Doll just needs steady handling for a while to get back to form. She's not a "bad" horse. Just a little soured.
If John is serious, talk to me. Please don't go back to Lorie.
My word is "scrawls" lol!
Baby Doll is quite the handful...I hope everything works out for you with her..
I think I'd have mixed feelings as well. The rough grooming and upside down blanket would have been a turn off for sure. But how she handled the horse would have been a plus. Life's decisions are never easy. If your husband isn't spooked by her and wants to give it a go, that's definitely a good option, unless you are that frightened of her that you really don't want her to stay with you, you just want to make sure she goes to a good home. That might take time. I don't like people who don't follow through on what they say either, but there may be a good reason for it. I hope it all turns out for you :) Keeping my fingers crossed.
No bad selling stories here. I've had tremendous luck so far.
I think the lady is a little irresponsible. I would put that in the "may not pay the lease" pile honestly. If she forgets to call you back she may forget to pay the lease she owes. Seen it before because I work at several boarding barns.
If you are worried about babydoll going to a home where she is going to be re-sold get a lawyer to look over a first right of refusal paper and have the buyer sign it and have it legalized that way she can't be sold without you saying no you don't want her first.
Remembering, leasing is how I found my horse! :) I did look at another horse to lease before him, and it wasn't going to work out. Luckily I met the gal through Craigslist so I think we were emailing and I just told her via email it wasn't going to work that way.
It's frustrating, and she should call back either way out of politeness. Whether she is the one for BD is hard to tell. She seemed to ride her well and tolerated more "cherries on the top" than I would in looking for a riding mount after getting back into horses for a while (for her kids too? Or did they have other horses?)
Maybe BD is meant to be your hubby's horse, that would be interesting! Good luck with it all, I know it's a difficult process. There isn't a huge need to rush, the right place will come along! :) Happy weekend!
Lisa--Just a few thoughts. Leasing sounds like a wonderful idea, if you find the right person. You should go with your gut on this one. She pulled at your horses mane while grooming. (not cool). She put the blanket on upside down. (hmmm. Experienced rider? Maybe just nervous.) BUT. You said she hasn't ridden in a few years and I presume you definitely told her about your accident. SO WHY NO HELMET? I know people who ride without them, (dumb) but they are usually on their own horses and the fact that she didn't wear one (she could have borrowed yours if she didn't have one) speaks volumes. Also, does a true experienced rider REALLY ride in tennis shoes? Again, HMMMM. No phone call when she said she'd call is just plain disrespectful and irresponsible on her part. I really think twice if she calls back!!! If she can't return a phone call one way or another when she said she would, that may speak more loudly than anything else. You will find the right situation and it will all just click....don't worry!
--Mindy
I do my best not to make up stories about what might be going on in situations like this. Could be she had a crisis at home, or a better offer elsewhere, or a sudden drop in her finances. The truth is, you don't know.
If you have her contact information, I would get in touch in a week and just find out if she's still considering the arrangement you'd discussed.
It sounds like your relationship with Baby Doll has dropped a few pegs lately. I hope things improve for the two of you and you can go back to enjoying her or finding her a new happier home.
*Hugs*
I'm with Carolynn, I know it is annoying, but I try to assume positive intent in these cases. I know I've taken awhile to get back to people when I'm thinking things over. Sometimes I've thought too long and sometimes now. I do trust things happen as they are supposed to. Don't try to force it, just go with the flow and see where it leads.
I strive to be the kind of person if I say I'm going to do something then I do it. Oh well, maybe she let ya know something.
Is Ranchman John your husband?
..it will all work out, it always does.
If yo do a lease agreement,make sure you get something signed releasing you from any liability. your home Insuruance company may even have stipulations about their coverage of others riding your horses on your property.
We had someone get hurt and end up in the hospital due to riding our well trained horse, the inexperienced rider gave all the wrong cues, and ending up crashing (I was not there, or it would not of happened, less experienced husband was in charge..)
It could of been a lawsuit.. I have been very careful with letting others ride my horses since then.
Lisa..hang in there!!
I have to many horse selling stories.. I think I will post one in the future, as it is a good one!
will Baby Doll stay at your place when leased??? You could have aced Baby Doll the way dishonest sellers do...just kidding!!! The right situation will happen...it just can't be forced. I beleive this will turn out with the best possible result. Are you going to get a " gentle gelding"??? I have 5 yr old Little Lady with me now, our 1st trail ride was very good, not one issue! But IF she starts acting out...she's gonna get the MARE SHOT!!!
If you're not in the business, selling or leasing a horse can be very frustrating. Did you get her number? If so, give her a call to see where she stands. When I was looking at buying my Corgi, I was on the fence and just couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to part with such a large amount of money. The breeder phoned me to let me know that she was about to start an advertising campaign, so if I wanted pick of the litter, I had to do it quick. I appreciated that and was able to pick out a Corgi I really love. I think if she didn't call me back, I wouldn't have returned. Also, I looked at Gabbrielle twice before buying her. Again, I wasn't so sure I wanted to part with the money. Then the breeder informed me that some other people had come to see her, so I had to make up my mind soon. It takes a little pressure from others sometimes in order to get someone to make up her mind.
The other thing is to keep the faith. If she's putting a saddle pad on upside down and roughing up your mare, she may not be the right rider for her.
I also try to assume the best about people. You never know what may have come up in her life that made her put the horse on the back burner. I'd just hit her with an email and see what's up.
As for the rough grooming, well, some people learned it that way. You could always just tell her that's not how it's done on your farm! After all, if you lease her she's still your horse to look after.
But if you're getting weird feeling about this lady, I'd say your woman's instinct is kicking in for some reason. I've found that whenever I ignore it, I wish I hadn't. So listen...
I've had good luck leasing my Appy mare Dixie twice and my daughter leased her mare out for a year and a half. We still had access to the girls and they were at a friend's barn close by. We even made a stipulation that Maybe's mane could not be pulled or cut and Jenny would go by and check on her and even help the girl with her riding.
I wish you the very best in finding the right person to lease or buy Baby Doll. I think it's good that BD "showed out" a little so the the person gets to test her out properly.
Seriously, she put the saddle pad on upside down? Honestly, I'd say that's a red flag right there -- she has lied to you right from the get-go, about how much experience she has.
I think you ought to explore the option of Ranchman John taking some lessons and making her his horse. That way you know her future is secure, yet you solve the problem of her not being right for you.
By the way, yes it's misbehaving, but I think it's cute she was trying to reach across the other lady to get to you. She was trying to ask you why you weren't the one handling her. She knows whose horse she is, even if she's rotten at respecting that sometimes.
Oh wow...it seems I have missed a lot!!! In my experience, people who are serious about a sale/purschase often either finalize the sale before leaving, or at least leave a deposit.
I have never leased a horse, but Amber leased Bo for six years. That experience was similiar to purchasing though, in that we knew we wanted him before we left, drew up an agreement, and they dropped him off the next day.
Good luck! I also think that selling and purchasing horses has changed a lot due to the internet. Have you ever tried to sell via the internet??? You get tons of stupid email inquiries that are usually just people out to waste your time...lol!!!
If you do find someone to lease her, whether on a share basis or full lease, be sure to get paperwork done absolving you from responsibility.
Its bad enough dealing with your own injury, a nightmare to deal with someone else's.
The blanket thing seems to be an odd mistake to me... its one of those things that make me want to take a step back and really look at what's going on. (also who shows up to test ride a horse in sneakers? Yeah maybe some of us ride in them occassionally but to test ride a new horse??)
The mane & tail thing would have driven me up the wall!! I finger comb my horses's tails and manes and very carefully comb (from bottoms to tops). Kimfer thinks I'm being silly and sees no problem with pulling a comb through and breaking/tearing hairs.
Alot of people are lookie lous, a couple years ago, my trainer and I were on a training ride with Fritzy and Brandy and my trainer recognized a lady that was trying someones horses on the trails, my trainer told me that she did that all the time, she would tell someone she was interested, take the horse to the trails for a "trial" and get a free ride, she never was interested in buying the horse!
I also see it as a sign, that this lady couldn't put the saddle pad on correctly and brushed her mane roughly, is not the right one. My gut would say "NO WAY!".
I am also for the idea of Ranchman John to give it a go! It wouldn't hurt to see what happens, right? They could be the perfect fit!
I think the lady sounds a bit fishy. Some of the things she did just don't sound right in my book. The saddle pad, brushing harsh, tennis shoes to ride in, and the way her legs were when she was riding Baby Doll.
I wish I lived closer. I would so ride her for you. Not that I can work miracles, but I would try to fix some of her problems.
I would keep up with the lease idea, if someone good comes along then wonderful, if not, then keep her there for Ranchman John.
It might help to put her in training for a month or two for a tune up. That normally helps a lot too. Plus you get weekly riding lessons when your horse is in training.
We sell horses and people are so wishy washy. Some will call back, other's won't, some will call a couple times and others will call once and say they are coming out and don't. I normally say if they don't show up with a trailer, then they are not buying the horse. But that is just what I have experienced.
Sometimes it just takes time. And remember, Baby Doll is your horse and you don't have to sell her to the first person that comes to ride her. You can say no to people.
Good luck!!
I cannot tell you how many times I have had no response from people who have seemed so interested in my horses. It is so frusterating, and like you, I agree that they should atleast respond and say, "Thanks but no thanks."
Good luck finding BD a new home and I hope it all works out of the best! And like someone else mentioned, trust your gut on the new person. If they're too rough, then you're probably right!
No good horse selling stories here, but I do know what you mean when someone seems VERY interested and then you never hear from them again. My mom and I always puzzled over that. Strange behaviour!
Baby Doll is such a beautiful horse, you have my vote that everything will work out for the best and soon! And I sincerely hope that you are back to 100% yourself soon - I can see you really miss riding.
Oh and the website that I met my husband through was Equestrian Singles. www.equestriansingles.com They have a lot of success stories -- click the "success stories" link on the home page.
Post a Comment