Friday, May 22, 2009

Sky Watch~Pave Low

 

It seems we are on a flight path for Kirtland AFB and sometimes get close-up views of military aircraft flying overhead. Sometimes they are so close I can see the pilot’s faces and we wave to each other.

I took these photos yesterday, in the early evening,with overcast skies, from my bedroom balcony.  After doing a little research, I believe this aircraft is a MH 53J Pave Low IIIE helicopter. (Let me know if someone knows for sure)

IMG_5028

Directly over my house.

IMG_5029  

Heading west after flying over my house.

IMG_5030

To see more than 300 different sky views from around the world, check out Sky Watch Friday!




From the Tower of,

16 comments :

Mrs. Mom said...

Yep Rapunzel, that is a Pave Low. Can't quite tell if it is the "J" variety, but it is indeed a Pave Low! ;)

Nice shootin' there girl!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

great capture lisa...
have a lovely weekend.
hugs my friend

Loran said...

Wow, that is really close! How do the horses react?

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Hey Rapunzle:

So glad you clocked in to Sky Watch Friday. The chopper is a very interesting shot. Wonder what those pilots think when you are photographing them!?

SandyCarlson said...

Those are dramatic. Well done!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are definitely within waving distance of the aircraft.

nature ramblings said...

Yes, that is low flying aircraft. Great shot!! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your noisey birds!

Linda Jacobs said...

Amazing! What a sight!

Reddunappy said...

We were buzzed by Army helicopters when we were at our WAHSET meets in Tumwater Wa., it not to far from Fort Lewis. Not just small regular ones either LOL but big double bladded Heweys!! Man are they loud!

Melanie said...

Love it!!! We regularly have Chinook helicopters fly near our house during training missions. It's really cool, isn't it??? I LOVE the sound that they make.

When Kevin and I first got married, we lived in an 800 sq.ft. apartment that was attached to a rural fire station (he is a volunteer FF) and it also served as a landing zone for Airlift NW. Talk about cool!!! Although I guess it wasn't really, considering that they were airlifting critical patients....

cdncowgirl said...

Well now that's a little different view! lol

Jayne said...

Is that loud? I have 'normal' choppers flying over my flat sometimes and they can a bit noisy. The one in your shots looks quite menacing!

Unknown said...

very cool shots of the helicopter, coming and going !!

We had helicopters over us yesterday afternoon ... but that was because one of the local banks had been robbed !

Andrea said...

WOW, with that awesome zoom you have it looks like you could reach out and touch it!! Great shots!!

The Wades said...

I'll take your word for what type it is. Neat idea for Skywatch photo.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Andrea, believe it or not, I didn't have to zoom much at all. The heli was close enough above our house that I could see the guys' faces in detail. I'd guess it was less than 75 feet. My house was shaking!