Monday, June 8, 2009

Mare Watch Monday

 

Here we are going into the third week of Mare Watch Monday. Sure wish Annie would have her baby soon!

IMG_5827  

Her teats have really filled up and are quite firm, but Annie is still eating like she’s growing twins in there. It does seem that she’s finally getting a little of the feed for herself and her ribs are less visible.

IMG_5841

She doesn’t seem to have grown larger around since last week. The tape is about the same place around her belly and not farther apart.

IMG_5845

Annie doesn’t seem as impressed with all of the photos we take of her anymore.

IMG_5837 

Annie’s ligaments on either side of her tail seem to have sunk and relaxed quite a bit lately, too.

IMG_5781

We’ve started camping out in Val’s barn to keep a closer watch on her development. The kids and I are having a great time in the tent and the horses don’t seem to mind at all. They ‘sing’ us to sleep with their heavy breathing, snorting, stamping, nickering, slurping water, munching hay, and deep relaxing sighs, especially from Annie.

We are awakened just a tad bit too early by a barn full of eager swallows waiting for the first rays of sunlight to shine into the barn.

I sure wish they could wait until the sun actually rises, though

At least the horses do. And then they come say Hello to us through the tent walls, sniffing and blowing, questioning whether we might have carrots inside.

IMG_5600 

Check out Val’s Blog to see more photos from our Mare Watch barn adventures, and to also enter her Mare Watch Contest: HERE.




From the Tower of,

22 comments :

cdncowgirl said...

I saw Val's pic of Scout checking out your living arrangements. He didn't seem bothered at all!

Leah Fry said...

Hope you have some comfy air mattresses in that tent. My body wouldn't tolerate sleeping on the ground well.

colleen said...

Sounds like a great way to fall asleep at night. Not so great in the morning though. Birds do like to get up earlier than me..I can't wait to see Miss Annie's baby!

Mrs. Mom said...

Hmmm... I'm thinking she'll be showing some white-ish looking dots on the outside of her bag right quick here Lisa. Maybe the next 4~ish days or so.... Can't wait to see the baby!! You have to promise to give Baby smooches from me, when he or she gets here!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh gosh, I well remember days of foaling and lambing; nerve racking!

Desert Rose said...

What an adventure foe everyone! camping at the barn waiting for the BABY!!!

Unknown said...

Hahaha barn swallows make sooooo much noise

Carolynn Anctil said...

How cool is that?!? I would LOVE to camp out in the barn and fall asleep with all the animals sounds. It's so exciting that you'll literally be right there when Annie's big moment finally arrives. I hope everything goes smoothly for her.

Carolynn Anctil said...

How cool is that?!? I would LOVE to camp out in the barn and fall asleep with all the animals sounds. It's so exciting that you'll literally be right there when Annie's big moment finally arrives. I hope everything goes smoothly for her.

Andrea said...

How exciting! I have always found that foals come when you aren't watching. That one time you go to the bathroom and then go inside to get something to drink. That's when you'll come outside and there the foal will be! :) Those barn swallows sure get loud huh? It shouldn't be too much longer! I am still banking on the 14th of June!!

Christy said...

Camping in the barn sounds like fun! We may have to try that sometime.

TxFarmhouse said...

Camping out in the barn sounds like fun. I'll bet she waits for everyone to leave before she has her baby. We watched our mare with her first one and she waited til we all left during the day.

Callie said...

The barn swallows are certainly chirpy! Cool pic through the tent! Wow, hope she pops soon!

The Wades said...

It's gotta be today--my guess and anniversary. Don't go to the bathroom at all on this fine day. :)

Celeste said...

Poor Annie I bet she is wishing the baby would come soon too! She's huge, but still very beautiful :)

lisa said...

The waiting is the hardest part, sitting on pin needles for the new arrival.

Dan and Betty said...

As mentioned, foals have a way of coming when you're not ready.

No matter what, I'm sure Annie's ready.

Dan

Gail said...

She will have this baby when you have gone to the house for coffee!

jane augenstein said...

You are dedicated with the watch! I don't think my body would like me for sleeping in a tent. I hope that you are there when the event happens, so you can get loads of pictures!!! I like the last picture of the horse silhouette, neat.
~Jane and Gilly~

erin said...

soon...a watched pot never boils...lol.
she is such a pretty mare.
i am anxious too.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...the only way to be sure I wasn't going to see the birth of my mare's foal was to camp out in the barn. She was a sneaky old bat sometimes and hated foaling when people were watching.

If I'd go inside to cat nap for a little bit for sure that is when she would foal...

KD said...

How'd your leg do with your new sleeping arrangements?