Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sky Watch Friday~Capitan, NM

IMG_4626

 

Fort Lone Tree~Capitan, NM

IMG_4615

Check out Sky Watch for more views of skies from around the world!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last month, we dropped off our twinlings for a fun week in Homeschool Camp at Fort Lone Tree in Capitan, NM. They had a great time riding the Zip Line, Rock Climbing, slipping down the Water Slide, practicing Archery and Riflery, riding horses and capturing and dressing up goats during Rodeo Day, and participating in water fights, campfires and lots of other fun things.

IMG_4609

It was difficult to say goodbye and we all shed a few tears. But we knew they’d have a great time and we believed they were ready to spend some time away from home, too. Their sister was probably the most upset about her brothers being away from home for a week. She adores them and they are usually very good to her. 

IMG_4618

I think Jenna was also secretly wishing she was old enough to stay at Fort Lone Tree, too.

IMG_4612

The boys were pleased to discover that their cabin was right beside the Snack Shack.

IMG_4611

So we said our Goodbye’s as the boys waved to us from the fort. (Can you see them?)

IMG_4622

IMG_4623

Before we left the town of Capitan, we enjoyed some lunch at The Smokey Bear Restaurant.

IMG_4637

Smokey the Bear is buried in Capitan at the Smokey Bear Museum and Historical Park. And of course there is a letterbox located there, too. hah!

Smokey’s got his eye on Ranchman John.

IMG_4640

Lots of interesting touristy places to stay in and visit and some great restaurants to eat some delicious food, while in town.

IMG_4632

IMG_4633

The horses in Capitan eat pretty good, too.

IMG_4642

Thanks for exploring Capitan with me. Next up on our road trip is a visit with the Longhorns…….and a crazy Pay-It Forward Contest.

So trot on back on Saturday!

(And hopefully I’ll have some exciting mare and foal news to share, too!)




From the Tower of,

29 comments :

Callie said...

Wow, Looks like there are so many fun things for kids as well as adult to do near you! I'm envious! Great photos as usual!

EG CameraGirl said...

I cannot believe how BLUE the skies are in these photos!

Jane Hards Photography said...

It is the blue of the sky that just draws you in. Bluetiful.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I would swear that the sky is bluer in New Mexico. I love all these little towns that you show us. Between looking at your photos and reading C'ing Spots' post about taking the time to smell the roses, I think I need to plan a trip to New Mexico with my mother. She loves going to ghost towns and visiting historical spots.

Jocelyn said...

I want to go to homeschool camp too ! geesh, what a cool place!

I am hoping for mare news this weekend toO!

Guy D said...

Looks like alot of fun, great shots.

Have a great weekend
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Unknown said...

Brought back some memories of my own of summer camp! Those were the days we had such a fun time. Great sky pics too BTW!

Andrea said...

Your boys are so lucky! What fun. Those pictures are amazing!

Dan and Betty said...

It looks like a great place for the twins. I would enjoy it too.

Capitan is a fun place. We stopped there and saw Smokey's grave. We actually saw Smokey Bear when he was in the Washington National Zoo in 1975, about a year before he died.

Great pictures.

Dan

Casey said...

Wow what I we give to live under a sky like that.

lisa said...

Great as always. Love the horsemans grill.

Alison said...

That first photo is quite striking. I love the symmetry b/w the cloud and the hills.

Everytime I see pictures of Jenna I am struck by how much she looks like her mom!

Huzhar said...

Interesting and fun post. I love the pictures with the blue sky, so nice. Have a great weekend..

Maria said...

Great post! love the first picture! It's such a proud cloud :)
Looks like your family had some FUN!
a wonderful weekend to you
Maria

TxFarmhouse said...

What a cool place to have camp! I'm with the boys..camping out right next to the snack shack!

Reddunappy said...

I see a spaceship! LOL in that first cloud LOL

Great pics again, you always make me smile! I love the Horsemans grill!

Unknown said...

Smokey the Bear is DEAD?

Geez. No wonder our national parks are in so much trouble.

:)

Love the photos. How's that knee?

Eric(NL) said...

Very nice Skywatch entry, love the blue skies and the first picture i love the most!!

Well done!

Ed said...

Great shots, I also decided to join in on SkyWatch..:-)

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for taking me along on your N. Mexico trip. That blue sky is incredible.
Cheers from Minnesota!

Grey Horse Matters said...

The Fort looks like a great place to have fun. Even though you will miss them, I'll bet they have the best time.Beautiful skies out there too, always so blue. Great pictures as usual.

GreyWolf said...

Ah, alas poor Smokey, I remember him well. As a kid there was a lot of commercials featuring him.
At a Scout Fair my brother got the opportunity to wear the costume and walk among the younger Scouts and their families. Luckily he was big, a senior football player in school, and could handle the weight of the costume and overanxious kids. However it was a very hot muggy day and I think he got a touch of heat exhaustion performing as Smokey. We tried to keep him hydrated and cooled off as muck as possible but the kids went nuts where ever he went.
It's a shame you don't see Smokey commercials anymore.

Kim said...

I had fun seeing picture shapes in your first cloud shot! All these images are wonderful and I feel like I've been on a minivacation. Thanks for sharing. I was enjoying being at your page for the first time. I thought with a ranch name that included Orca that you might be another Pacific Northwester. It gave me brief pause to view such negative icon and quote about the president in the sidebar, but I respect your posting your views on an otherwise positive and friendly blog. Best to you and the fam as you enjoy the summer.
-Kim

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kim, and for leaving such a thoughtful comment.
I appreciate you respecting my rights to speak out against someone that does not have our country's best interest's at heart.
Freedom is never free. And it's always important to never allow anyone to bring opression by limiting free speech.

We should never feel as if we need to be sheep, following blindly, accepting things as they are.

No man should be permitted to play God. All Americans should be held accountable for their actions when they affect so many, especially the future of our children.

Have a beautiful weekend,
~Lisa

Arija said...

What a great place for the boys to spend part of their summer in.
I love the flying crusader cloud over the beautiful hill, as well as the caterpillar one crawling across the gateway.

Girl Tornado said...

Great shots and a fun lil town to visit... love the hotel and the Grill! Sounds like the boys had an awesome time at the Fort. :)

CTG Ponies said...

Love the color of that blue, blue sky! Looks like the twins will have a blast. What a great place to spend a week.

Melanie said...

Lisa...you have got to stop posting about your beautiful NM. It is making me totally jealous...lol!!!! I just finsihed catching up, and each post was more lovely than the other...

Maybe one day????

Lisa Wilson said...

That looks like a great place!! Also, I haven't seen a cloudless sky in weeks.