Saturday, June 6, 2009

Taking a Break to Process Wool

 

Thank you to all of you following along on my Road Trip posts. I really love sharing a piece of my world every day and showing you some unique places, too.

But it’s now time for a little ‘half-time’ break. I’m so tired after a busy couple days. I’ve been processing wool (skirting, cleaning and washing), taking my kids to T-Ball, Baseball, Guitar Lessons, installing a tent in Val’s barn, and traveling to my Physical Therapy appointments this past week.

Here’s a few photos from my ‘wool-work’. hah!

(Unwashed Angora fleece (Mohair) ready to be washed)

IMG_5553 

(Mohair fleece being washed in warm, soapy water….3 times minimum. And I washed 4 separate fleeces….3 times each)

IMG_5549 

(Setting some of the Mohair out to dry on top of an old wire cage)

IMG_5552

(And as the day waned, I moved the fleeces inside and upstairs to dry.)

IMG_5555

IMG_5561

And then tonight after a very late night baseball game, I discovered that this cute kitty, Javalina, peed on one of my washed fleeces, Gah!

(The fleece belonged to my previous angora wether, Cloud. His fleece is super curly and so silky)

IMG_5563 

So, of course, I had to rewash it and set it out to dry (away from where this naughty cat can get to it.)

I’m exhausted and I still have to process 2 llama fleeces, 3 sheep fleeces (one extra from Blanca being sheared twice already), and we also plan on camping out in Val’s barn over the the next week in hopes of catching the birth of Annie’s baby.

Busy days behind…and busy days ahead. It’s time for some shut-eye. I’ll be sure to continue the road trip next week. I wouldn’t want to deprive you of your chance at experiencing the ‘Center of the Universe’. hah!

I hope you enjoy a beautiful and happy weekend.  




From the Tower of,

15 comments :

TxFarmhouse said...

What a chore! Do you take that to market to sell? Sounds like you need some good R&R. I really did enjoy your roadtrip posts. I know so many out in blogland are anxiously awaiting Annie's delivery.

lisa said...

Lots of work, but great fibers. You will have to look at my site and see my looms that could of woven those fibers into blankets etc.

Jocelyn said...

Wow girl do you ever slow down?

Im excited to see the whole wool process, since I have no idea and plan on getting woolie critters someday!

As soon as I get my party barge, you'll be the first to know!

word verif: quagr... uh ??

Alison said...

wow, you certainly aren't letting the bad times get you down, are you?

Once again, I'm sneaking a read at work, and your pictures won't display here...so, I, too, have some catch-up work to do, I guess! 'Cause I know they're worth the re-visit!

naughty, naughty cat...

Dusty Devoe said...

Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting. Can't wait for the news and pictures of the new babies. Happy camping!!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's so nice of Val to include you in Annie's childbirth process. My neighbor has at least two foals born every spring, and I always beg her to call and wake me up when the baby is coming. I promise her I will either stay out of the way or help, whichever she prefers, but she always blows me off. It's pretty obvious to me that she doesn't want others around during delivery. In fact, she won't even let me come over to her place until the foal is one week old. I'm not sure what her fears are, but her actions have made it clear to me that if I ever want to experience the birth of a foal, I'll have to breed my own mare. Though I know the majority of the time it happens at 3:00 AM and you miss it anyway.

Celeste said...

That is a lot of work, no wonder you are exhausted. Have a great weekend :)

jane augenstein said...

Wow, Lisa you are one busy woman!!! The fleeces look great, interesting process to go through. I don't know how to knit, but always thought I would like to try. Have too many other projects now though to learn.
Hope you get a nice rest and do tell all about the birth of Annie's baby when it comes! How exciting!!!
~Jane and Gilly~

StefRobrts said...

We had a 4H meeting today and the lady in charge of 4H fiber arts came and gave the kids a show on how all the different fiber arts they could do - spinning, preparing batts for display, felting, making crafts like wool beads, little christmas tree angles, dreamcatchers, dying the wool with KoolAid. It was very cool. She is setting up a 'school' at her farm where the kids can go anytime for free and have materials and books and help if they need it. I'm really excited to see what kinds of things they do.

Gail said...

If you are priviledged to witness the birth, do not forget that camera!

allhorsestuff said...

Wow...a foal to see being- born is so cool!I can't wait for that day.. and your detailed pics!

Ya know, I was just wondering what the wool smelled like wet...and then you said that your Manx P'd on it...man...figures!

Girl Tornado said...

Great post, I really enjoyed it. My sister, who lives in CA and is a knitting fiend, keeps telling me we need to get some alpacas, THEN she will come visit me. LOL

And I can't believe that bad kitty pee'd on your wool. ACK!

Take care, don't spread yourself too thin, and looking forward to hearing about Annie's foal when it decides to arrive in the world!

DesertHen said...

My Lisa, but you have been busy, busy, busy! Loved seeing the washing process of the fleece. I have never seen that before. Sorry the cat peed on the washed fleece....I have a cat that likes to pee on hubby's socks if he leaves them on the ground. Cat's can be so fickle and funny at times!

Carla said...

I'm back from bloggy vacation. I see you've been very busy! AAaaahhhhggg, cat pee. So hard to get rid of that smell. Please be sure to post pics of the wool once you've spun it. The whole process is amazing.

Unknown said...

That is so neat that you process all that wool by yourself. Looks like a little bit of work - but I would be the end product is really worthwhile.