On the way to Val’s cabin in Guadalupita, we drove through the quaint and tiny, picturesque villages of La Cueva and Mora.
Val encouraged me to look for a letterbox she had placed in the village of La Cueva, where the famous Salman Ranch Farm, providing the best raspberries I have ever eaten, is located beside the old mill.
(These next two photos were taken from a previous visit last year, using my old Canon, so the quality isn’t as good)
I found the letterbox and the cute hand-carved stamp and then we headed east towards the village of Mora.
We stopped off to visit with the wooly ones.
There were hundreds of beautiful alpacas and llamas grazing in the beautiful green valley.
I could have stayed there all day just gazing at them all. The alpacas are cute, but the llamas are my favorite. They walk so elegantly as if they are royalty. Their behavior reminds of cats.
But the alpacas were adorable. And they had brand new babies, too.
Can you say “Awwww!”?
And I can’t leave out the lions….er….livestock guard dogs. There were several of these beautiful Great Pyrenees roaming the property.
And this big guy napping inside the store. (I don’t think he’s a Pyrenees, though. But maybe he’s a guarder of books?)
He didn’t mind that Val and I were trying on some of the wool hats.
Then it was time to say goodbye to Victory Ranch and all the woolies.
We wanted to make a letterboxing stop in Christmas Tree Canyon before finally arriving at Val’s cabin in Guadalupita (see map above).
To be Continued……..
From the Tower of,
15 comments :
oh that was a great post..whenever you share your area and tell stories, I want to comet to New Mexico!
Those babies were so adorable!! And I really like those wool hats! Very cute!! Looks like you and Val had a great time!
Oh my goodness! Look at all those llama's!! That was a breathtaking picture! I loved it! With every color imaginable out in a field of green grass!
Your weekend sounds like it was so much fun! I think the people around here need to start painting some cool pictures on the buildings! We need some more character around these parts! LOL!
Hi there!! I'm popping in from Paint Girl's blog!! Love your pictures!! Very awesome!! Nice eye!
What a great blog you have here!!
Ooh I would have loved that shop. Nevermind that it rarely gets cold enough to wear that kind of stuff.
Did you find the letterbox?
Great, I love the first picture! But the little ones were awful cute!!
I just LOVE your blog, it's like taking a trip every day. Keep up the good work, love the beautiful pictures and subjects. :)
now that is a ranch of woolies...wow. beautiful shots of all the wonderful critters. just beautiful.
enjoyed the post ms. lisa.
hugs
What a gorgeous place, Lisa, and all I could think about was "Man, those hills look like prime riding country!" LOL!!!
How cute are those baby alpacas??? And I love the "lions" that keep watch over them. :)
Really great colors in the pictures. I love all the baby's! and you're right they do remind one of cats!!!LOL
What a wonderful selection of woolies :) But I have to say the big guy working so hard to guard the books won my heart - it's a tough job but someone's got to do it!
Ah, just as I was forming the thought "Wonder how they keep all those woolies safe?", up popped a pic of one of their guard dogs.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like y'all had fun.
Another great post Lisa!!! You and Val have the best adventures ever! Loved the baby woolies, so cute!
~Jane and Gilly~
Such cute babies :)
And I got such a giggle out of the lion haircut they gave that poor dog!
What a fun trip.... between you and several other bloggers, you are re-igniting my passion for road trips! I've been content to loll around our homestead since I moved here last year, but now I'm getting itchy feet to roam again!!! I've always been a traveller at heart.
My sis knits and she keeps telling me we need to get some llamas or alpacas... the only reason I hesitate is because the more animals we have, the more it will hamper my desire to travel. Perhaps some day we will get a few llamas. I really would love to have them, they are so cool!
Post a Comment