Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Mother Road Parade

 

On Saturday, my kidlets and I attended the Route 66 Edgewood Parade. I hope you enjoy my photo journal and feel as if you were right there with us as we enjoyed the parade. Over the last year the town of Edgewood has done a great job renovating and beautifying their section of Route 66. This was one of the reasons for the parade and celebration.
The event also celebrated Route 66 heritage and Edgewood’s 10th Anniversary as an incorporated town.

IMG_9763

Officially, the numerical designation 66 was assigned for the Chicago-to-Los Angeles route in 1926.

IMG_9753

From the outset, public road planners intended U.S. 66 to connect the main streets of rural and urban communities along its course because most small towns had no access to a major national thoroughfare. Edgewood is only 5 miles from our house and is our closest town with major services, so we do most of our shopping there. We like the small town feel, the beautiful views, access to Interstate 40, and the friendly folks.

IMG_9765

In his famous social commentary, The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck proclaimed U.S. Highway 66 as the "Mother Road." Steinbeck's classic 1939 novel, combined with the 1940 film recreation of the epic odyssey, served to immortalize Route 66 in the American consciousness.

Moriarty, east of Edgewood, is the next closest town, and has Route 66 rolling straight through their town. My daughter, Jenna plays T-Ball in Moriarty, and we buy most of our hay there, too, so we spend some time in their utilitarian, high-plains town quite often. 

IMG_9768 

An estimated 210,000 people migrated to California to escape the despair of the Dust Bowl. Certainly in the minds of those who endured that particularly painful experience, and in the view of generations of children to whom they recounted their story, Route 66 symbolized the "road to opportunity."

IMG_9764

Bobby Troup, former pianist with the Tommy Dorsey band and ex-Marine captain, penned a lyrical road map of the now famous cross-country road in which the words, "get your kicks on Route 66" became a catch phrase for countless motorists who moved back and forth between Chicago and the Pacific Coast. The popular recording was released in 1946 by Nat King Cole one week after Troup's arrival in Los Angeles.

IMG_9789

In the mid-1950's, mass federal sponsorship for an interstate system of divided highways markedly increased with Dwight D. Eisenhower's second term in the White House. General Eisenhower had returned from Germany very impressed by the strategic value of Hitler's Autobahn.

IMG_9770

IMG_9771

The congressional response to the president's commitment was the passage of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956, which provided a comprehensive financial umbrella to underwrite the cost of the national interstate highway system.

We love the Single Action Shooting Society! The Founders Ranch is located just a few miles down the road from us and they have a few events every year that are open to the public, including mounted shooting.

IMG_9796

The SASS folks in the wagon shot off one of their guns, and the spotted horse wasn’t very comfortable with that at all. Made me kind of nervous for the girl on it’s back.

IMG_9798

It may have been this horse’s first parade, as it was spooky about many of the loud noises and people along the route. The young lady held tough, though and they got through it safely.

IMG_9799

By 1970, nearly all segments of original Route 66 were bypassed by a modern four-lane highway.

Those girls at the right in this photo are my Physical Therapist’s riding students, and those are her horses. The second young horse being ponied, with the white face, is that very special filly, Holly, who was rescued by Walkin' N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue (scroll to the bottom of the ranch’s website page to see pics of little Holly) when she was just a brand new foal, and was attacked by dogs and left for dead by the uncaring owners.

IMG_9800

In many respects, the physical remains of Route 66 mirror the evolution of highway development in the United States from a rudimentary hodge-podge of state and country roads to a federally subsidized complex of uniform, well-designed interstate expressways.

IMG_9806

Various alignments of the legendary road, many of which are still detectable, illustrate the evolution of road engineering from coexistence with the surrounding landscape to domination of it.

IMG_9784

Route 66 symbolized the renewed spirit of optimism that pervaded the country after economic catastrophe and global war.

IMG_9787

Often called, "The Main Street of America", it linked a remote and under-populated region with two vital 20th century cities - Chicago and Los Angeles.

IMG_9781

The outdated, poorly maintained vestiges of U.S. Highway 66 completely succumbed to the interstate system in October 1984 when the final section of the original road was bypassed by Interstate 40 at Williams, Arizona.

IMG_9810

Route 66 travels through eight states: Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

IMG_9777

The original road is still 85% driveable in an ordinary car.

IMG_9790

This is the Wildlife West wagon, which is used at our closest little zoo, where we have a family membership and like to visit quite often because of the hiking trails and the animals. All of the animals are indigenous to New Mexico and have been rescued or been injured and can’t return to the wild.

IMG_9792

Such lovely mules!

IMG_9811

Such a cute little burrito!

IMG_9812

I loved the huge smile on this lady driving these handsome donkeys.

IMG_9813

These folks were a little bit bizarre, but lots of fun.

IMG_9815

And their horses were amazingly calm and obedient.

IMG_9817

IMG_9819

Don’t forget to read this summer.

IMG_9794

My kidlets came home with loads of candy that was thrown to them during the parade.

IMG_9778

And Jax made a new friend and is now thinking about becoming a clown. Clowns have always kind of given me the creeps. but Jax could change my feelings about them, for sure!

IMG_9773

Come visit New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment!

IMG_9774

But don’t forget about fire safety. Smokey says, “Say ‘No’ to forest fires!

IMG_9821

And if you get hurt or lost, the Mounted Search and Rescue Team is there to help. That's Theresa on her Lipizzaner/Hungarian Warmblood, Zeema!

IMG_9829

IMG_9756

Yep. That’s a Clydesdale. Isn’t he gorgeous?!

IMG_9757

“Nah, Nah! My horse is bigger than yours.”

IMG_9758

“My Clydesdale can kick your little black grade horse and OTTB Appendix horses’ tails. Hah!”

IMG_9760

The Littlest to the Biggest. 

IMG_9761

As you can probably see, I really enjoyed this trio, and especially that handsome Clydesdale, Prince. I also enjoyed meeting them. They were such friendly guys and their exceptionally wonderful horses were just as friendly, too.

IMG_9746 

Thanks for having a look at my photos and enjoying the Route 66 Edgewood Parade with me.

IMG_9749




41 comments :

cherie said...

i love, love, love, love thiiissss!!! oh, my boys wiuld have had a lot of fun, and would have crowded all those lovely ladies driven by the donkeys, lol! nice place you live in laughing orca!!

Leah Fry said...

Thank you for sharing. The little community where I live isn't even incorporated, so we don't have parades.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Route 66 photos and history - and I love a parade!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Leah,

We don't either. Our area is also unincorporated, so we have to visit our neighboring towns to see parades and other events. :)

~Lisa

lisa said...

It has been a long time since I have been to a parade. Thank you for taking me!

Deb said...

what a fun parade...great photos.... hope your son doesn't run off to join the circus LOL

Unknown said...

I love the little furry driving mule. So cute. The mounted rescue is cool, I wish there was something like that around here.

Cheryl Ann said...

Ow, I LOVE the Clydesdale! Actually, I liked ALL the horses! Interesting story! We love to stop in Williams, AZ. It's such a cute town!

Tammy Vasa said...

So many comments... loved the "painted" gray horse! How fun. Was going to ask you if they had any "real" floats - the kind made with tissue & then I saw the train engine! Yeah! Parades around here lack those old time floats! I think they should make a comeback. The security guy on the Clyde was a hoot!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Really enjoyed the Wildlife West wagon and the Clydesdales, good parade!

Mrs.C said...

Wow! Such amazing pictures. You are so very talented! And it was interesting to read history of 66. I didn't know some of that.

The horses that had been decorated...I LOLed. And loved the Clydesdale.

allhorsestuff said...

What fun Liss,
I loved the history!Oh - and the mounted shooting...bold!
Those threesome (Clydesdale+) were so funny with your remarks! That man was quite tall..he definately found the right horse!
Fun thanks!
KacyK

Alison said...

I loved this post, probably because you had such a good time at the parade. So many beautiful four-footers to see! Dunno 'bout those clowns, though...

Maybe you should learn more about those bizarre people with the calm, obedient horses, and see if you can find the trainer or instructor responsible for them. Can you imagine riding Baby Doll in a parade like that?? Hey, anything's possible!! :D

strivingforsavvy said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. I loved them!

gtyyup said...

What a fun post Lisa!! Very interesting history and the horses are superb down your way!! I love all those carts...I need to learn how to do that, so when I'm to old to get on a horse, I can still drive a cart!

Gail said...

I felt like I was there. Did the boys save me some candy??

MaskedMan said...

I likes me some parades! Especially small-town ones. Espcially ones where pretty much everyone gets to play!

We had one a couple weeks ago just because the regional fire fighter's association was having a meeting - So they all drove their equipment down main street, to give the townfolk a thrill.
:-)

Jocelyn said...

Loved this post ! I always love history with a touch of ponies !

You and your family are always off doing something ! I love it!

mrscravitz said...

Thanks for sharing the parade. I love that Clydedale too! Favorite horse of all!

Reddunappy said...

Great parade Lisa, and history of Route 66. The guy riding that Clyde isnt a small man either! Looks like he needed a big horse! LOL

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I remember seeing a documentary about the Dust Bowl and that was quite a scary time. I hope that never happens again.

Can I make a special request? I'm having a hard time reading the black text on the brown background. Can you make the body text white or the background lighter? If I read your blog on my laptop, I can adjust the screen to read it better, but if I'm on my PC, I have to lean in to read the screen.

Mikey said...

Way cool! I especially loved that big Clyde cop horse. Love it!!!

AareneX said...

What a great parade--gotta love a community that dresses up the septic tank pumper truck and takes it on parade!

Thanks so much for sharing.

jane augenstein said...

I love a parade!!! Thanks for sharing Rt. 66 with us, great post Lisa. I too love the big boy Clydesdale, he's a beauty. The little donkey was just too cute too. I was probably on that road when I was 4 years old, we took my big brother to San Diego to the Marine base there. That was back in 1955/56.. ..... oopps I am telling my age! LOL
Thanks for the wonderful post!!
~Jane

Unknown said...

I'm a totally parade geek. I love parades! Thanks for taking us with you!

Dan and Betty said...

I love small town parades. Your pictures are super.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

restoration42 said...

Those were fabulous pictures, I really felt like I was there. Love the search and rescue team and love that two of them were barefoot and wearing their hoof boots. Ya sure got the photo talents!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Lisa. Everyone loves a parade. :)

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

excellent , and very entertaining. We wanted to make sure and get onto Route 66 when we were in Arizona... and brought home Route 66 map and info for our grandson.

Thanks for a very well written piece!

cdncowgirl said...

I caught a glimpse of the Clyde in your first pic and was hoping to see more of him so a big thanks for those last pics!! :)

Oh, and I agree... clowns are kinda creepy!

Desert Rose said...

Lisa...you have out done yourselve!!! And since all of your post are of such a high standard/content, this is an AAA plus!
Loved the clydesdale s&r horse...what a great way to rescue PMU horses???
Also, it is not easy riding in a parade. Only did it once, and Jesse was PERFECT but talk about weird things that are there for the 1st time for your horse to experience!

Sarah said...

The parade looks great! So funny that I opened this up to read it at this time. As we speak, my husband is driving past the Moriarty exits on our way to Albuquerque! I new you were in NM, but didn't know where. I'll wave as I go past!
Thanks for sharing the parade and the history of 66.

Sarah said...

The parade looks great! So funny that I opened this up to read it at this time. As we speak, my husband is driving past the Moriarty exits on our way to Albuquerque! I new you were in NM, but didn't know where. I'll wave as I go past!
Thanks for sharing the parade and the history of 66.

Unknown said...

Love the pics! That looks like so much fun! Especially the driving. Ususally don't see much of that.

Melanie said...

I love that big, gray Search and Rescue horse!! What a looker. :)
Those clown/painted riders and horses look neat too...

Oh, and who doesn't love a Clydesdale??? Guess what??? I got to ride a Belgian out on the beach during our recent trip. I will post pictures later. :)

KD said...

I think Edgewood would be a lovely town to visit. Thanks for the parade!

Katharine Swan said...

What fun Lisa! I've never seen a parade in person, let alone one with so many horses, so your pictures were a nice treat. I particularly love the Clydesdale! Thanks for the awesome pictures of that handsome guy!

The Wades said...

There you go again totally making my day with a series of super fun and interesting pictures. I'm with you--that Clydesdale is gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing.

ezra_pandora said...

I LOVED this post!! We havn't been to a parade in forever, but we might go to one tomorrow. Our barn owner is going to be pulling a wagon with his 8 horse black percheron hitch. I'd really like to go. That is so cool your son would like to be a clown. After my mom was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer that later spread to her brain, she became a professional clown, with a registered name and all, and visited all the area hospitals in the cancer wards with another lady. That made her life complete she said. She was always a super friendly and funny person, but this just let her do it more openly and help more people. Let your son know if he does something like that, he'd be making world of difference to people :)

And that Clydesdale. OMG!! Gorgeous!! I loved everything about your parade. We have a road 66 in the town my hubby grea up in. I don't know if it's a Route or an Interstate or what.

Celeste said...

Lisa, thank you for such a wonderful and informative post, I have always thought it would be cool to take a road trip from here in Chicago, along route 66, you have made me want to do it even more.
Love the donkies pulling the little carts and the Clydesdale - what a handsome fella (the horse I mean!)

Girl Tornado said...

What an awesome and fun parade, Lisa! Wish I coulda been there with ya, enjoying it all. I think that one girl must have known her horse would be a lil fidgety -- she was the only one with a helmet on. Hmm.

And that clydesdale, OMG, how gorgeous is he?? I love clydesdales. Amazing how big he is compared to the other horses. You don't often see someone riding them. I have a pic of me with one of the Bud clydesdales in Daytona during bike week... what a fun week that was, but I digress... LOL.

Hope you are doing well. I know I have been a bit of a ghost in blogland lately, it's this dang thing called "summer"....