Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sunday Stills ~ The Elements

 

For me this was the most challenging Sunday Stills yet. I racked my brain trying to come up with all sorts of ways to get in all the elements into one photo as naturally as possible, but in the end I decided to stage it instead.

Ed really didn’t get too specific on which elements he meant when posting this challenge, so I decided to go with the Five Chinese Elements: Water, Wood, Earth, Fire and Metal.

IMG_9838

  1. Fire: the flames in the fireplace
  2. Water: the glass of water
  3. Earth: the bowl of dirt
  4. Wood: the Cholla Rainstick
  5. Metal: the horse sculpture

To see how others have taken on this week’s challenge, go visit Sunday Stills!

 




From the Tower of,

30 comments :

Jessica said...

I like the set up! Lots of vibrant colors & cool subjects. Very nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a cool shot! Highly creative & well framed! Great job :D

Paint Girl said...

Love it! I believe you captured them all!

Anonymous said...

i'm definitely with you on this was the most challenging challenge yet!
you did excellent :)
x

Anonymous said...

I love your "still life", great composition and lovely photography!
ronell

Andrea Baker said...

WOW!!! What a great way to get all 5 elements in the shot!! That is one beautiful metal horse too!!! Love it all!!!

Gail said...

Beautiful picture, well thought out and perfectly taken.

Unknown said...

Ahahahah very creative.

I didn't have time for Sunday stills this week D: My car is about to die and I need to do repairs before I go on away which leaves me -$ and -time as I work overtime to compensate for this vacation I am taking.

Ed said...

Very cool, love the composition...:-)

Shirley said...

Nice composition and well thought out!

lisa said...

I think you did great!! I thought it was a hard challenge too!!

Debbi Andersen said...

Great job! Even with your interpretation I think I nailed them all .. since the ski lift was metal lol Not to mention the trees for wood or the power lines are wood polls lol

Great Job!!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

that looks wonderful!

colleen said...

Very creative....I too had some trouble, but I went with the basic, except wind of course. Although if you think about it I included wind in the pic with the boys, cause you know little boys are full of "wind"....

CTG Ponies said...

Very creative! I really like it.

Anonymous said...

Well done. Love the composition and the colours.
Steffie

Regular Guy said...

This was hard, very good with everything together. Your blog layout is nice too.

Sherri said...

Very, very cool. A full collage in one photo.

Holly said...

great job! Love the horse

Mellimaus said...

Oooohhh, cool approach! Love the sculpture; really cool! Great picture!

allhorsestuff said...

That's really nice..you could do photo's for fine dining eateries!
Good job!

Reddunappy said...

Yours is my favorite!! Great pic, you have an artists flair!

Anonymous said...

Very nice compostition!
Carmon

Anonymous said...

Very, very creative. You nailed it. :)

CTG Ponies said...

I've passed on an award to you! Please stop by to pick it up!

DesertHen said...

Very nicely done!=)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

what is a cholla rainstick?

gtyyup said...

Very well done!! It's a nice crisp shot...love the horse sculpture!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hi Ann,
A cholla is a cactus that can grow about 7 feet tall. When it dies, the green flesh dries and falls off, leaving behind the woody center. Native American Indians would take that woody center, fill it with beans, seal up both ends and create a homemade 'rain stick' for their ceremonies. When a rain stick is placed on either end, all the beans, slide down inside, making a pleasing tinkling and swooshing sound, not unlike the sound of rain.

~Lisa

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great shot..you got them all! :)