Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sunday Stills ~ Open Road

 

For this week’s Sunday Stills Challenge 'Open Road', I chose to stay close to home and photograph the road that I travel on every time I leave the house. This is the county road that leads to my house. As you can see, I live in the mountains. This is the southbound view.

IMG_0394

This is the northbound view, looking towards South Mountain, the mountain view I see from my house, too.

IMG_0402

This is the last half mile, just before I turn onto the road where I live. As you can imagine, my kidlets enjoy riding along with me on this roller coaster road, too. Wheeeee!

IMG_0419

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this final photo is from my archives, from a road trip we took to southeastern New Mexico a few months ago. NM 55 is an interesting road in that it literally zig-zags. As you can see in this photo, it looks like the paved road ends and a dirt road begins. But as you’re driving up to it, at the very last moment the paved road sharply curves. NM 55, from Mountainair to Claunch, zig-zags like this for approx. 40 miles and reminds me of those crazy coaster rides called ‘Mouse Traps’.

IMG_4606  

If you’d like to hit the open road today, without having to leave your house, travel along with folks from all over the world, on Sunday Stills.




From the Tower of,

38 comments :

cherie said...

oh wow! my whole family would LOVE to go driving by all those roads, and scream our heads off, too! what a lovely, lovely place you live in!!!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

love these shots, the first one with the parallel the telephone pole lines is cool, you live in a wonderful area!

ezra_pandora said...

It's like that George Strait song...where the side walk ends and ..... That's cool to see the pavement end and dirt begin. Of course, we are close to the Michigan boarder here in Ohio and Michigan is infamous for their horrible roads, seems about 90% of them are dirt. You can tell exactly where Ohio ends and Michigan begins. lol Neat! I'd love to live in the mountains.

Mrs.C said...

OMG! It's so beautiful there! I had no idea!!!

Desert Rose said...

Even in the phot's you get the rollarcoaster effect!!!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

like they say 'round here, looks like a drunkard designed these roads.

Gail said...

You captured the dimension perfectly. It looks like a roller coaster!

jane augenstein said...

What a beautiful ribbon of highway you live on!!! Love, love, love the first picture!!!
~Jane

Unknown said...

Love the optical illusion of the paved and dirt road.

Wonderful photos, Lisa.

cdncowgirl said...

I am *such* a prairie girl... seeing that roller coaster road made me nervous. I thought "oh my, what is that like to drive on in the winter?!" Then I remembered your winters aren't *quite* like ours! lol

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Awesome!! Love all of the hills!!

Paint Girl said...

Whoever thought a road could be so beautiful!! Your road looks like so much fun, lots of hills and yes, a lot like a roller coaster!! Cool pictures!

cherie said...

hey lisa, i'm back! just want to say please go grab the Cupcake Award from my site - i just gave you one! hugs!

Anonymous said...

No words! just brilliant shots! love'em all! I think your photos are the perfect ones for this weeks challenge! :D Wish I could come down for a drive through those roads!

lisa said...

Like always, fantastic!!

Tammy Vasa said...

OMG, I would hate to have to pull my big horse trailer over those hills! I think I'd need a bigger truck! LOL!

Very nice pics! You are lucky to live in such a scenic area. The last picture is very nice!

thecrazysheeplady said...

These are fabulous shots! My favorites you have done I think. What beautiful country. Love the "dirt" road. Great catch. And the power lines along the earlier picture. Excellent!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wow! Amazing road. You live in a wonderful region.
Great photos too!

threecollie said...

I love your roads! And you do a wonderful job with the photographs!

Ed said...

Jeeze, do ya live on a rollercoaster? Beautiful shots..:-)

colleen said...

I too live in the mountains but I have a hard time getting a good pic. I love the view from your road! great job

Oregon Equestrian said...

Wheeee! Great photos.

gigi said...

You know you really have a beautiful drive. I try and appreciate the view I see every day too. Your's is just beautiful.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I wish I had seen that roller coaster of a road when I was a kid. I would have begged my dad to sponsor a soap box derby race on it. That's definitely a unique area.

Sherri said...

Wow -- what a beautiful and very exciting road trip! Great job

Janice said...

Boy you wern't kidding about the roller coaster. Great shots but I'm feeling a little sick. Yeeoww I'm not sure I would enjoy that ride or hmm would it bring back memories of an ill spent youth, when we used to go looking for places like that so we could try for air.

Sherri said...

This may be a duplicate...

But such great shots are deserving of a duplicate compliment. Breath taking views.

Shirley said...

Woo-hoo! That first shot looks like you could hit the top of a hill and get butterflies in your stomach as the road drops away beneath you! Used to love that when I was a kid, but you'd never get me on a roller-coaster!
That is a pretty area; love your mountain view.

flowerweaver said...

Love the first shot--it really captures the feel of driving it and reminds me of recently trying to find your street as the hills just kept coming and coming!--Sage

gtyyup said...

It's beautiful there Lisa! But I'm feeling a lil' bit car sick!! Just kidding...talk about a roller coaster ride...WoW. Great shots for the challenge!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lisa, What a roller coaster road! I too said "What about ice and snow?" Then I remembered where you live! Great photos..your area is very beautiful! :)

Anonymous said...

haha fantastic! i love hills

p.s my late entry is now up
http://moresecretwhispers.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/late-sunday-stillsmacro-monday/

Michele said...

Gosh, that's quite the roller coaster road. Believe it or not, even at my age I still get car sick and no doubt on roads like this, umm... yeh, pass over the brown bag! LOL!!

Hope you are doing well..

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous roadshots!! You live in stunning place to get such stunning pics from a subject like ordinary roads! Very nice
ronelle

CTG Ponies said...

Great pics! We have some of those "roller coaster" rides near my house too.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

For those who guessed that we probably don't get ice and snow. Well, you might be surprised to know that we do. We are at 7,000 ft. elevation and we only live 10 miles from a ski area above us at 10,000 feet. Some years we can get 2-4 feet during one snowfall. Most of the time we just get 4-8" of snow, though, and it melts by the next day. We also have wonderful county workers who clear the roads when it first starts snowing. They work all night, and by morning our roads are clear.
~Lisa

The Wades said...

You have an incredible eye! Really, you do. I love all your pictures.

Holly said...

WOW! What a trip that would be!